PDA

View Full Version : TD killed us with the McGahee pick!!

HHURRICANE
12-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Henry gained 1,438 yards rushing in 2002 and 1,356 yards in 2003 before losing his full-time job in Buffalo. He has 1,109 yards on 249 carries this season. McGahee had 1,128 yards two years ago, 1,247 yards last season and 967 yards on 248 carries this year.
Donahoe's decision to take McGahee 23rd overall in 2003 was arrogant enough considering the Bills' other needs. The real crime wasn't picking a running back but grabbing the wrong one. Kansas City selected Larry Johnson with the 27th pick overall that year. McGahee has either underachieved or was overrated in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061226/1048509.asp

LtBillsFan66
12-26-2006, 10:37 AM
So true. Hindsight is 20/20.

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Willis = AVERAGE.

Bills run game = average, ball control .

Top teams running game= weapon.

Granted that Young's mobility is a weapon, Willis couldn't match Henry's running game which is why we ended up having to throw the ball against the league's worst run D.

If he isn't throwing up, he's banged up for one reason or another. I can barely remember this year where the run opened up the pass. It's looks more like the pass opened up the run. Next year is his contract year. If he steps up, I couldn't care less anymore. You step up and play like it's your last game,every game. Not when it's your contract year.

We don't have to have an LT but I sure wish we had Jones-Drew instead of Willis.

Kerr
12-26-2006, 10:48 AM
At that time not many people were complaining because Mcgahee when healthy, was a "dynamic" back coming out of UM. Travis was wearing out his stay in Buffalo after the apparent minor and financial incident. Add the fumbling issues and you've got a GM was was ready to look for an upgrade and replacement.

I've always admired T-Hen's heart and determination playing with broken bones etc. He got his revenge on Sunday.

HHURRICANE
12-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Willis = AVERAGE.

Bills run game = average, ball control .

Top teams running game= weapon.

If he isn't throwing up, he's banged up for one reason or another. I can barely remember this year where the run opened up the pass. It's looks more like the pass opened up the run. Next year is his contract year. If he steps up, I couldn't care less anymore. You step up and play like it's your last game,every game. Not when it's your contract year.

Excellent post!

I believe that Willis will run hard next year and leave. The Bills will most likely draft a RB in the 2008 draft unless a diamond is sitting our there this year. With all of the holes we have, LITERALLY, DT's, LB's, and DE's should be a huge priority. Willis leaving will officially bring to an end the TD nightmare!!

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Excellent post!

I believe that Willis will run hard next year and leave. The Bills will most likely draft a RB in the 2008 draft unless a diamond is sitting our there this year. With all of the holes we have, LITERALLY, DT's, LB's, and DE's should be a huge priority. Willis leaving will officially bring to an end the TD nightmare!!

I hope Marv drafts one next year where the rb talent is high either with our first or 2nd rd. pick unless there's a D'Brick type of player which I doubt.

OL and Dt's take years to develop and we've already drafted them in Pennington, Butler , Mcargo and Kyle, so I doubt we draft those positions with our high picks. Let's get em' via FA.

Our problem is that, we're not the only team in need of OL. We'll have competition.

IAG
12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Bills fans have no respect for Willis. He is a horse. He gave a jolt back in the run of 2004. Besides do not forget that Henry is one step in the substance abuse program from being 86ed for the year.

It was a value pick and a bonus.

I am sure Eric Steinbach would have put the Bills in the playoffs.

HHURRICANE
12-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Bills fans have no respect for Willis. He is a horse.

PROVE IT!!!

WHY IS HE A HORSE?!

Two 100 yard games all year. TD drafted Willis, not because of Willis, but because it gave TD the press that he craved. TD was an arrogant **** and we are stuck with the aftermath. Even Rosenhaus admitted that TD still has the hook in his mouth. Rosenhaus launched a huge PR tactic to get Willis drafted and we bought in!

Just out of curiosity do you see the same speed that Willis had in college?! NO!! His injury was catastrophic. He can play but he's average at best! End of story!!

The King
12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Buffalo needs a cold weather back, a guy who can move a pile. Jones Drew was an interesting mention considering he is a mobile tree trunk. We need a Bettis, Means, Bam Morris kind of guy. I hated our U Miami drafting spree. Buffalo couldnt be any less compatable with those guys.

Kerr
12-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Buffalo needs a cold weather back, a guy who can move a pile. Jones Drew was an interesting mention considering he is a mobile tree trunk. We need a Bettis, Means, Bam Morris kind of guy. I hated our U Miami drafting spree. Buffalo couldnt be any less compatable with those guys.

Any candidates?

TacklingDummy
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Willis has more "character" then Henry.

Romes
12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't say the pick "killed us" but it probably would have worked better addressing one of the lines and not going for the luxury pick.

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Those guys you mentioned have stocky build but have humongous legs. They never stop moving. Willis can move a pile because he's big but not necesarily because of his legs.

On the hindsight thing re: Willis, it was a crappy draft class on paper.

madness
12-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Those guys you mentioned have stocky build but have humongous legs. They never stop moving. Willis can move a pile because he's big but not necesarily because of his legs.

On the hindsight thing re: Willis, it was a crappy draft class on paper.

Wasn't Willis the one towing tractors in the parking lot after his injury? I think he should revisit that training this offseason.

losman420
12-26-2006, 01:23 PM
if they want willis to really produce they should try and pencil the jets in all 16 slots next year

Ingtar33
12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
when willis was picked up travis fumbled every other time he touched the ball; and before the knee injury vs ohio st. he was the finest back I'd ever seen play college ball. To be honest he's not the same running back he was then, and never has recovered what was lost. Considering the knee injury, and the fact this guy has been out there playing with broken ribs (which is much more painful then the broken leg that travis had... i know, i've had both injuries) im stunned at the hate he gets.

Willis didn't chose where he was drafted. I know he's not a buffalo guy. But then, neither was Bruce Smith (talking about a freaking me-first primadona, who hated the town). Now what are we complaining about? We've got a 1200 yard/year back who's proved far more durable then TH ever was, and while he's not a game breaking back, you can't tell me some of the teams going to the playoffs wouldn't want that? (Colts, Jets)

Larry Johnson was a slow plodding RB, with a maturity problem in college, and while he remains slow, he's rounded out nicely into a good/great all-round back, with a maturity problem (anyone seen that interview this year in which he claims a black athlete cannot perform for a white coach? Who else was cringing hearing that?)

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM
when willis was picked up travis fumbled every other time he touched the ball; and before the knee injury vs ohio st. he was the finest back I'd ever seen play college ball. To be honest he's not the same running back he was then, and never has recovered what was lost. Considering the knee injury, and the fact this guy has been out there playing with broken ribs (which is much more painful then the broken leg that travis had... i know, i've had both injuries) im stunned at the hate he gets.

Willis didn't chose where he was drafted. I know he's not a buffalo guy. But then, neither was Bruce Smith (talking about a freaking me-first primadona, who hated the town). Now what are we complaining about? We've got a 1200 yard/year back who's proved far more durable then TH ever was, and while he's not a game breaking back, you can't tell me some of the teams going to the playoffs wouldn't want that? (Colts, Jets)

Larry Johnson was a slow plodding RB, with a maturity problem in college, and while he remains slow, he's rounded out nicely into a good/great all-round back, with a maturity problem (anyone seen that interview this year in which he claims a black athlete cannot perform for a white coach? Who else was cringing hearing that?)When Henry was traded, people questioned whether he was a rb who culd handle D's you play against in the playoffs. Now the same can be asked about Willis.

Almost every rb these days can easily get 1000 yds a season. When you get in that 1400 yard range, now we're talking. The bills do not have the luxury of waiting on Willis to mature. We need to win and make playoffs next year for the team to win back it's fans.

If Willis treated every game like he was playing the jets, I wouldn't have a problem. Right now he's just average as it get's in the NFL considering that rb's are a dime a dozen. I do love however the way he's been blocking for the most part of the season but I'd rather have a rb that can hurt teams running.

Philagape
12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
We don't have anything more in Willis than what we had in Travis.

Therefore, our 2003 first-round pick was spent on Ashton Youboty.

(although we got that pick for Peerless Price, so not much to complain about there)

DynaPaul
12-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Willis is awesome only when he wants the starting job or his position as starter is in jeopardy.

RockStar36
12-26-2006, 05:08 PM
It's easy to look a few years back and criticize a draft. I'm not impressed.

Philagape
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
A few years later is the only time a draft can be properly evaluated.

PECKERWOOD
12-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I think Willis is doing a good job considering the condition of our OL. If we were to improve our OL, you would see Willis in the pro bowl every year.. Plus, Willis has a bad media image in Buffalo, but looking at some of his interviews he seems like a really funny and easy going guy, I'm sure his presence would be missed in the locker room.