PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel the C position needs to be upgraded..

Kerr
12-26-2006, 11:24 AM
or are you satisfied with the job Melvin Fowler has done???

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I really doubt Jauron wants to mess around with the chemistry JP has with Fowler.

OpIv37
12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
The interior of the offensive line has to be beefed up. If Fowler's not replaced, Preston should be.

The_Philster
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Fowler's done a good job...but he's no Hull. Like justa said, hurting the chemistry with JP, as well as the rest of the O-line, would be counter-productive...I wouldn't go looking in free agency for a replacement....but I also wouldn't stop continuing to look in the draft

justasportsfan
12-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Fowler's done a good job...but he's no Hull. Like justa said, hurting the chemistry with JP, as well as the rest of the O-line, would be counter-productive...I wouldn't go looking in free agency for a replacement....but I also wouldn't stop continuing to look in the draftI would however find better players than Preston. I would find players in FA'cy. This OL isn't not good enough aginst playoff teams. We're not getting any push from the right side of the OL. It's really hard to assess because Willis has twinkle toes from time to time and we don't know if it's him or the OL. One things for sure, running on the left side of the ball isn't enough. Teams know it.

BuffaloBillsStampede
12-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I like Fowler, but we do need some guard help.

RedEyE
12-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Fowler is solid at Center. Huge upgrade from Teague.

madness
12-26-2006, 12:21 PM

I agree. :up:

alohabillsfan
12-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Im good with Fowler, Gandy and Peters, need RG jury not quite out on TP!

Yasgur's Farm
12-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Im good with Fowler, Gandy and Peters, need RG jury not quite out on TP!Couldn't say it better myself...

Re-sign Gandy.
Continue the Pennington experiment.
Lose Villarrial.
Sign 1 solid FA guard.
Draft another guard in the 3rd round.
Maybe draft a tackle day 2.

PECKERWOOD
12-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I think we could improve drastically at both RG and LG.. I like Fowler, but the rest of the interior OL needs to be bolstered. Gandy isn't too bad, I actually like the guy.. But if a more suitable replacement makes himself available, we definately need to persue that iniatitive instead.

YardRat
12-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Fowler's adequate (or serviceable, if you will) at the moment and I wouldn't be against drafting a young guy to groom for 2008. RG is the real need, IMO...V is gone and Preston isn't much better. I'd even be for drafting a RG and return Preston to back-up center, full time, and only use him as a guard replacement if necessary.

ShadowHawk7
12-26-2006, 06:25 PM
In order of upgrade priority:
1. RG
2. C
3. LG
4. RT
5. RG again

Question: Who would you rather replace, Gandy at LG, who has done a good job, or Pennington at RT, who has shown much promise?

X-Era
12-26-2006, 06:29 PM
or are you satisfied with the job Melvin Fowler has done???

I dont have the answer, I guess Im admitting ignorrance here. Peters is a stud, Gandy has been decent at LG. Most of our success at running is on the left side, yet we are very bad at overall yards per game on the ground. That would point to the C/R side. I would point to RG as the most likely spot where we make a change. Preston isnt a Jauron guy, Villairial (at some level) is and hasnt played, Pennington was put into the starting lineup at the bye and hasnt been benched since. That says, RG may be the most likely spot for a change. However, Im not sure how we overlook RT and C as well.

The other problem is Eric Steinbach is a LG, not RG, as is Floyd Womack, Derrick Dockery (WAS), Kris Dielman (SD). They are looked at as the top 2007 UFA's with all but Steinbach being 2nd tier. Can they switch? I dont know that answer, can a resigned Gandy? I dont know that either.

Devin
12-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Merz in 07!

Night Train
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Fowler is very smart and recognizes D formations at the line as good as anyone. He's been a positive for Losman.
He's good but slightly small for the position. Still, the Guard play on both sides of him have been terrible this year, which doesn't do him any favors.

He'd look a lot better if we actually had some talent at Guard and help cover him up on pass protection.

Guard is a crying need for this team. Both starting spots

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 10:48 AM
We need studs. Enough of these average players. Gandy is average so is Preston and Pennington. If we can upgrade those positions then fine. Keep the others for depth.

You know Jauron is gonna have competition again at camp. I do however like where this OL is headed but more concerned with the DL.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I think Fowler has been excellent this year. He is a freaking great athlete.

R. Rich
12-27-2006, 11:28 AM

Technically, he's a solid center. The problem is that he's not very strong, and it shows. He's had a lot of difficulty this season w/ holding up in pass protection (nothing new, since that was a weakness of his even before his arrival in Buffalo) and also in providing the initial push to open holes in the running game.

Saratoga Slim
12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Technically, he's a solid center. The problem is that he's not very strong, and it shows. He's had a lot of difficulty this season w/ holding up in pass protection (nothing new, since that was a weakness of his even before his arrival in Buffalo) and also in providing the initial push to open holes in the running game.

I think failure to generate any push in short yardage situations is our line's glaring weakness, as well as pass protection from the right side.

Saratoga Slim
12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
We need studs. Enough of these average players. Gandy is average so is Preston and Pennington. If we can upgrade those positions then fine. Keep the others for depth.

You know Jauron is gonna have competition again at camp. I do however like where this OL is headed but more concerned with the OL.

I think you're right, we need at least one more top talent on the OL. Peters is great. I'm okay with Gandy, Fowler, and maybe Pennington, though its hard to tell at this point b/c he needs time. Villarial/Preston need an upgrade.

Our line may improve significantly by just inserting a top-notch RG to replace Villarial and getting slightly-above average performances from Gandy, Fowler and Villarial. Sometimes an OL can be greater than the sum of its parts if there's good chemistry.

But as much as I think we can get by with replacing Villarial and leaving the rest intact, I agree with Justa: I don't think any position on the line except Peters should be considered "safe."

SABURZFAN
12-27-2006, 06:15 PM
if we had drafted mangold instead of mccargo,we wouldn't have to worry about Center for the next decade.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 08:14 PM
if we had drafted mangold instead of mccargo,we wouldn't have to worry about Center for the next decade.
But who's to say that McCargo wont solidify our DL for the next decade?

Devin
12-27-2006, 08:17 PM

I remember when the trade was announced thinking sure-fire 100% that had to be who we got. If anyone was a Kent Hull-like/Marv guy Mangold was it. I was soooooo praying that was the pick.

ah well.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Fowler's done a good job...but he's no Hull. Like justa said, hurting the chemistry with JP, as well as the rest of the O-line, would be counter-productive...I wouldn't go looking in free agency for a replacement....but I also wouldn't stop continuing to look in the draft

What is this, Brady Bunch? I don't give a **** about JP's chemistry with Fowler. Fowler spent alot of time on his ass this season. We got bulled rush a fair amount up the middle. He can develop his chemistry as a backup which is what he would be on a playoff caliber team.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Crap, you're actually right for a change!!

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:17 PM
In order of upgrade priority:
1. RG
2. C
3. LG
4. RT
5. RG again

Question: Who would you rather replace, Gandy at LG, who has done a good job, or Pennington at RT, who has shown much promise?

Pennington has shown a ton in a short period of time. JP's biggest protection issue focused on Fowler and Preston/Villareal. I think we need an upgrade at center and RG. Preston is a decent backup.

Tatonka
12-27-2006, 09:24 PM

i agree.. but if a guy of nick mangolds stature falls to the 3rd round (which is common for centers who are not just absolutely incredible), take him.

Bmax
12-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Doug Datish -Ohio St....6-5-295 has played guard and tackle....Let pick him up in rd 3 or 4 if available........could last all the way to rd 5-or 6

Doug Datish was a standout guard and tackle his first three seasons at Ohio St. Now that center Nick Mangold has left after being a first round pick of the Jets, Datish has moved inside to the center position.

Datish has shown the ability to standout at every spot along the offensive line. His first two seasons in college, he played well at guard, but as a junior was shifted to left tackle and more than held his own. This season he has moved inside to guard to fill the big shoes of Nick Mangold. He has solid size, and shows the athleticism to move his feet laterally, along with getting out and blocking on the move. Datish will finish his blocks and drive his man into the ground at every opportunity.

The only issue with Datish is that he may need to pack on a few pounds and get stronger at the next level. He lacks the power to drive players off the ball, and the pure bulk to be able to stand a 16 game schedule.

Most of his experience has come at positions other than center, but that is the position he projects best at in the NFL. His lack of power at the point of attack isn’t as great at center, but his ability to pull and block on the move is ideal for the spot. He is not as highly regarded as Mangold was a year ago, but he is one of the top centers available in this years draft.

According to one site....

Bmax

Sounds like a guy who could help us out depth wise then start in 08 at center....

The_Philster
12-28-2006, 04:28 AM
i agree.. but if a guy of nick mangolds stature falls to the 3rd round (which is common for centers who are not just absolutely incredible), take him.
that's pretty much what I said :idunno:

R. Rich
12-28-2006, 02:33 PM
I remember when the trade was announced thinking sure-fire 100% that had to be who we got. If anyone was a Kent Hull-like/Marv guy Mangold was it. I was soooooo praying that was the pick.

ah well.

That would've been nice, but w/ Fowler already signed, it just wasn't going to happen.

paladin warrior
12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Humm about getting PRO WR from other team or trade our team..

LifetimeBillsFan
12-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Doug Datish -Ohio St....6-5-295 has played guard and tackle....Let pick him up in rd 3 or 4 if available........could last all the way to rd 5-or 6

Doug Datish was a standout guard and tackle his first three seasons at Ohio St. Now that center Nick Mangold has left after being a first round pick of the Jets, Datish has moved inside to the center position.

Datish has shown the ability to standout at every spot along the offensive line. His first two seasons in college, he played well at guard, but as a junior was shifted to left tackle and more than held his own. This season he has moved inside to guard to fill the big shoes of Nick Mangold. He has solid size, and shows the athleticism to move his feet laterally, along with getting out and blocking on the move. Datish will finish his blocks and drive his man into the ground at every opportunity.

The only issue with Datish is that he may need to pack on a few pounds and get stronger at the next level. He lacks the power to drive players off the ball, and the pure bulk to be able to stand a 16 game schedule.

Most of his experience has come at positions other than center, but that is the position he projects best at in the NFL. His lack of power at the point of attack isn’t as great at center, but his ability to pull and block on the move is ideal for the spot. He is not as highly regarded as Mangold was a year ago, but he is one of the top centers available in this years draft.

According to one site....

Bmax

Sounds like a guy who could help us out depth wise then start in 08 at center....

I like Datish a lot, too.

It doesn't matter what what I think, it matters what Jauron and McNally think and, according to the comments that they have made this season, they like Fowler. So, I think it is fair to conclude that Fowler will be the center next season.

Since he arrived in Buffalo, McNally has made a point of saying how important he feels that continuity is for the offensive line and how much better he feels an offensive line will perform when the players are used to playing alongside one another, etc. That, coupled with the fact that Peters is signed long-term, Pennington has done well as a rookie and can be expected to continue to improve, and the fact that McNally and Jauron like Fowler and Gandy leads me to believe that at least 4 of the current five starters will be back in those positions next season if the Bills can re-sign Gandy.

If any of the five is likely to be replaced, it is Preston, who Jauron stated would be evaluated on his play this season, when Preston took over from Villiarial. I was not impressed by Preston and can see him being replaced. I also see Villarial, who has been injured the last two seasons, retiring. However, given the emphasis that McNally has put on continuity, I could also see the Bills keeping Preston-not that I would agree with that unless I saw a lot of improvement out of him.

With Merz and Butler as the only real back-ups on the team, I can see the Bills picking up one or two offensive linemen this off-season. But, I wouldn't expect them to spend a lot of money or a high draft pick on one unless there was someone that they really loved and thought could step in and start next season sitting there in Round 3. I could see them going for a guy like Datish if he is still on the board in Round 4 or 5, though. And, I would love it--because he really is the kind of tough bruiser who can become a great player in the NFL. But, I think the Bills will look to address other priorities first before they make make changes to the offensive line or look to bring in more than a couple of offensive linemen.

Of course, that's just my opinion.