• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

2006 Offseason, FA's and Draft

Ok, there's one game left in the season. It's no big secret that we had a hell of a draft. I wasn't all that impressed with McCargo, and Youboty has yet to contribute, but Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Williams and Pennington have all contributed this year. To have 5 rookies starting and playing well (albeit not all starting at the same time) is amazing.

However, our 2006 FA's have been nothing short of disappointing. It took Tripplett something like 8 games to get his first sack, even in a defensive system that requires pass rushes from the DT's. He has not been impressive. Davis was decent (maybe even above average) on ST, but worthless on offense. Fowler was OK but not spectacular. Reyes got benched. A. Thomas, K, Thomas and Price did well, but they were all situational players who were never really intended to be playmakers.

We all know that putting a bunch of high priced vets on a team doesn't guarantee success (see New York Yankees or Washington Redskins). But draft picks won't all pan out. Some draft picks will leave after their rookie contracts. Holes need to be filled with FA's- the Patriots with Corey Dillon, the Saints with Brees, the Ravens with McNair and Mason, etc.

If this team is going to succeed, Marv and Co. have to do a better job of attracting FA's.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: 2006 Offseason, FA's and Draft

I think you can have success without signing big names. Take a look at the Eagles and Seahawks ... they have all had success from building from the drafts and adding spare parts here and there. It seems to be the approach we're taking and I think that adding a big talent (TO in Philly!) could actually hurt the team success that we're having.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Kerr
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Agreed. I think the FAs they aquire in the offseason is going to determine whether this team makes the playoffs or not next season.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
        I think you can have success without signing big names. Take a look at the Eagles and Seahawks ... they have all had success from building from the drafts and adding spare parts here and there. It seems to be the approach we're taking and I think that adding a big talent (TO in Philly!) could actually hurt the team success that we're having.
        I never said big names- I said filling holes. The FA's we brought in this year didn't fill our two biggest holes from 05- OL and DL. The OL was fixed, but mostly with draft picks and guys we already had on our roster. The DL wasn't fixed at all- the pass rush did improve, but again, it had nothing to do with Tripplett.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

It is time for the Bills to go inot FA as a player not someone picking up cannon fodder from other teams, How good would we be if we had a ligitamate Starter at TE, not a number 2 TE as a number 1 and a number 3 as a number 2, u know what i mean, Same is to be said for DT and Larry Triplett,
          The Bills need better LBs TKO is done and Fletcher is not as good as the Bills make it sound, I think u pay Nate Clements, Bills Digest 2 issues ago have us the second best in the league in cap space, something to the tune of 39.7 million under the cap, which might be high but still we are nto payin any one primetime money except TKO, who in my opion has seen better days

We need to go out and sign and draft younger hungary players not premodonnas we nee to get a center, Melvin Fowler is no the answer, We also need a number 2 WR, and a real TE, and a real multi dimensional FB, not a sledge hammer with no athletic ability

This year we made leaps and bounds but we got to do it again and get rid of some of the extra flack and replace them with gamers that help produce wins not guys who hold jocks on the side lines all season
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

FIX OL and DL via FA'cy to make a push for playoffs. We have the cap.

Problem is, how do we attract players to a team that can't sell out? We'll have to throw $$ their way.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              FIX OL and DL via FA'cy to make a push for playoffs. We have the cap.

Problem is, how do we attract players to a team that can't sell out? We'll have to throw $$ their way.
              a lot has been said about Ralph being unwilling to do that, despite a lack of evidence.

I think this off-season will tell us a lot about Ralph's commitment to winning- we'll have to see if he's willing to throw his $$ around.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

I don't think selling out is on top of a FA's priority list. (they do that on their own) I'd say most are looking at direction of team, location, and money.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

First I will start with the defense...

GONE- Spikes= Trade to Detroit for DT S. Rodgers (approx same cap#)
                  GONE- Clements= Can't overpay for his services
                  GONE- Anderson Replaced by Rodgers
                  GONE- Fletcher= wrong side of 30 to be building dynasty!
                  GONE- Kelsay- Replaced by Smith

Sign- Justin Smith Bengals LDE Better pass rusher and run stopper!
                  Sign- Lance Briggs OLB Bears Replace Spikes
                  Sign Harper CB Colts Replace Clements

Offense

GONE- Villarrial= Who cares
                  GONE- Reyes = See above
                  GONE- S. Williams = See above
                  GONE- Shelton = Easily replaced
                  GONE= Holcomb = Look for upgrade
                  GONE= A. Davis = ST player only need upgrade
                  GONE- K Everett TE=He's a penalty waiting to happen!

Re-sign- Gandy
                  Extend Losman
                  Sign- G E. Stienbach Bengals
                  Sign TE E. Johnson SF
                  Trade Willis to NYJ for 2nd round pick (they have 2 and a need at rb, win win!)

NOW FOR THE DRAFT

Now assume we are drafting around 15...

RD1 RB Marshawn Lynch Cal. Can run, (fast) catch and throw, sounds like LT!
                  RD2 OT - Doug Free 6-6, 305 Challenge for RT
                  RD2 WR Dwayne Bowe LSU #2/3 WR
                  RD3 ILB - Brandon Siler FLA Fletchers replacement
                  RD4 RB - Lorenzo Booker FSU S. Williams upgrade
                  RD6 FB - Brian Leonard Rutgers D. Shelton Replacement
                  RD7 BPA

Special Teams - Resign Lindell!

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

I think we'll do a better job next offseason in FA, not only because of the big cap room, but because last year wasn't about attracting big names; it was about filling out a roster intended to fit certain systems. And we had a lot of holes to fill: RB, WR, TE, G, C, two DTs, CB, two S. We couldn't use our available money on high-profile names; we had to think more about quantity than quality.

But now, there are fewer holes. An outstanding draft bolstered our depth, and there were some FA signings that worked (not all of them). We can start to think about quality. We can think about upgrading key positions instead of just plugging holes with bodies, which is basically what 2006's FA signings were all about.

If Nate leaves, obviously that's an immediate need, but everywhere else, we can think about getting better. I'm thinking TE and G especially. I also wouldn't mind a huge DT and getting away from the Tampa 2. In the draft let's build our LB depth because we'll need it soon if not next year.

We're at the point now where we can get a lot better in one offseason and still hang on to most of our veterans. The window is starting to open.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                      • Mar 2003

I think KT was our best FA pickup this year, which is actually rather sad..
                      "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

I'm not as high on KT as some people are. I can't help but think if an up to speed Youbouty was in there, passes would have been broken up or intercepted instead. KT, although a solid tackler, always seemed to be one step behind.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Sign TE E. Johnson SF
                          If we sign even one of these guys I'd be shocked, let alone all of them. I also think it's wishful thinking to trade TKO for Rogers.

This team is going to be built through the draft, if year one of the Levy/Jauron era is any indication.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Bmax
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                            First I will start with the defense...

GONE- Spikes= Trade to Detroit for DT S. Rodgers (approx same cap#)
                            GONE- Clements= Can't overpay for his services
                            GONE- Anderson Replaced by Rodgers
                            GONE- Fletcher= wrong side of 30 to be building dynasty!
                            GONE- Kelsay- Replaced by Smith

Offense

GONE- Villarrial= Who cares
                            GONE- Reyes = See above
                            GONE- S. Williams = See above
                            GONE- Shelton = Easily replaced
                            GONE= Holcomb = Look for upgrade
                            GONE= A. Davis = ST player only need upgrade
                            GONE- K Everett TE=He's a penalty waiting to happen!

Re-sign- Gandy
                            Extend Losman
                            Sign TE E. Johnson SF
                            Trade Willis to NYJ for 2nd round pick (they have 2 and a need at rb, win win!)

NOW FOR THE DRAFT

Now assume we are drafting around 15...

RD1 RB Marshawn Lynch Cal. Can run, (fast) catch and throw, sounds like LT!
                            RD2 OT - Doug Free 6-6, 305 Challenge for RT
                            RD2 WR Dwayne Bowe LSU #2/3 WR
                            RD3 ILB - Brandon Siler FLA Fletchers replacement
                            RD4 RB - Lorenzo Booker FSU S. Williams upgrade
                            RD6 FB - Brian Leonard Rutgers D. Shelton Replacement
                            RD7 BPA

Special Teams - Resign Lindell!
                            Well at least they resigned Lindell...

Trade of spikes won't happen...Rodgers coming off injury ?
                            I agree with clements,fletcher,anderson and kelsay..

I just would not sign all these guys with big money the way to go with most of the players is the draft. Scott from the bears to replace anderson....Fletcher with Mitchell ,Draft pick or thomas from the raiders.

No to justin smith.. No to trading willis in the division...always a mistake....

Yes to Steinbach .. No to eric johnson.....

The draft is off base also....

1. Lynch is a good player but i wait to next year unless Hart from mich comes out then i take him in rd 2.....

1. DT OR MLB- OKOYE-Willis ......

2, free is no longer considered a 2nd rd pick his poor season has dropped him into day 2....Blake from TCU dominated him in the bowl game... LEONARD.. no way he goes in rd 6 .. day one pick rd 2 or 3.....his 40 time will be crucial...

3. I LiKE Siler but rd 3 ....i say he will go higher....No to Bowe....

4, Trannon ---wr-te Mich St....6-6 235....good prospect

We can't afford to draft skill players early unless he is far and above the best athlete available ( except qb...) We Must find DT and OG via the draft and free agency in order to improve in 2007.....

Bmax

Comment

Working...
                            X