PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Discussion

jpdex12
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I remember reading a thread that someone started a while back about our salary cap figures and I thought that the figure mentioned was around $19 million. I just read last week in Bills Digest that we are second in the league now with $39.7 million worth of cap space. We should have enough money to offer reasonable amounts to keep Clements and Fletcher if Ralph wants them bad enough. Even if we threw $12 million signing bonus at Nate with a $34 million deal stretched out over however many years we should have enough to sign the rest of the boys and new draft picks and FA players to shore up a playoff team next year.

Am I missing something capologists?

clumping platelets
12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
It's all about the guaranteed money........Nate can wait until FA begins and we will see numbers of $20 million guaranteed reported.....Bills do not have the resources to tie up $20 million guaranteed in one player......

Fletcher: depends on whats important to him.........if it's all about the money, he's gone.....Bills will not give out large guaranteed amounts to over 30 y/o players......

Bills are in great cap shape but it's clearly about whats resonable........Daniel Snyder can throw $20 million upfront to a player like Nate and not blink.....Ralph simply cannot do that.

I would prefer getting all our other FAs re-signed, add a vet CB in FA, extend a player like Lee Evans, and address some of the team needs....in lieu of re-signing Nate to a "Champ Bailey" type contract

jpdex12
12-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I hear ya.

Maybe between a FA pick up like Asante Samuel and the rookie, Ashton Youboty we can fill that void if left by Nate.

I'll tell ya what...this year would be the year to extend Willis if we are going to. If we wait until he has a monster year possible next year, we will pay dearly! Lee Evans will be an asset for years to come and he should be the type of player that won't be greedy.

Devin
12-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Clumpy has it down.

The bigger problem is the circumstances. Honestly its not gonna surprise me if you see Nate get upwards of 70-75 Mil if not more. This is a very weak FA year, and there are a TON of teams with cash to burn. Couple those factors with the fact Nate is one of if not THE premier free agent this year, and hes classified as a "Shutdown CB". As ive said before Nate is not only gone but he will be the highest paid CB in the NFL next season.

While id love him to be a Bill I believe even if we had that kind of money hed be gone to a larger market team. I am not entirley sure Nate even wants to be here.

alohabillsfan
12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Clumpy has it down.

The bigger problem is the circumstances. Honestly its not gonna surprise me if you see Nate get upwards of 70-75 Mil if not more. This is a very weak FA year, and there are a TON of teams with cash to burn. Couple those factors with the fact Nate is one of if not THE premier free agent this year, and hes classified as a "Shutdown CB". As ive said before Nate is not only gone but he will be the highest paid CB in the NFL next season.

While id love him to be a Bill I believe even if we had that kind of money hed be gone to a larger market team. I am not entirley sure Nate even wants to be here.

Nailed it! He is not worth that kind of cap hit! Evans is signed through 2009, JP through 2008, I would like to extend JP now and evans next year.

Agree with Clump also in regards to Fletch. Make a modest 3 year offer. Lindell is done, would like Gandy next.