PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question... but

Pride
12-27-2006, 08:00 AM
I am truly trying to go against conventional thinking and question the reasoning for the use of Tight Ends in an offense.

I understand the need when you have a Shockey, Gonzalez, or the like... but when you have average TE's... why bother having them on your roster?

Instead of 3 wide with a TE, go 4 Wide or use an extra OLman at the TE spot.

Can someone explain the basic reason for the TE positiion?

Bling
12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing with how ****ty McMike is playing. You'd think they'd just put in another 'TE', some big LT, but I guess in theory, if you put a 300 lber, he wouldn't be fast enough to cover a CB or a LB? And I guess a TE always keeps a Defense honest and consider the possibility of a pass. It'd be an interesting thought to put in another T during a run play.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2006, 08:10 AM
They do a lot of blocking Pride.

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 08:10 AM
The TE opens a realm of offensive possibilites in your passing and running games. He can be sent in motion for run and pass protection. Pairing up a heafty but quick handed TE against a LB tends to be a mismatch most QBs love. And in the case of guys like Shockey or Gates, they can also be used as decoys to keep the running game rolling. Using a TE to pull off an OLB on one side as you run a pitch out can be just enough movement from the defense to gain some serious yardage. A lot of teams today are going to a double TE set for added pass protection and short yardage versatility. The Patriots are masters at running this style offense and can eat green as well as clock when using it.

This is precisely why you want a TE that can not only block but has the ability to catch the ball as well. He needs to be big because most of his receptions are played in the middle of the field near bone crushing defensemen.

Romes
12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
A tight end allows you to disguise if you are going to run or pass. Since, in theory, they can both block and catch.

Pride
12-27-2006, 08:24 AM
A tight end allows you to disguise if you are going to run or pass. Since, in theory, they can both block and catch.

Understood... but if you have an average TE that isnt much of a blocker (Royal), why not just put in a 4th WR?

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Understood... but if you have an average TE that isnt much of a blocker (Royal), why not just put in a 4th WR?

When you have a below average line blocking, how can you expect Losman to find time to make the throw? Royal provides the added pass protection required and run blocking skills to help open holes.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Royal was brought to this team because he was a great blocker. He was never toughted as a pass catching TE in Washington.

madness
12-27-2006, 08:29 AM
wikipedia gives about a good explanation as any. Simple answer... to keep the defense honest. The TE is an essential part of any offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end

Romes
12-27-2006, 08:32 AM

its a good question, the only thing i can think of is cause its more difficult to run out of a 4 WR set.

Royal has had less blunders blocking than he has had in the receiving game, though.

Pride
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
This all makes sense I guess...

I suppose I would rather just put an extra OL in there on 3rd and 3 than have a "blocking" TE.

I especially don't like when we go with our "big package" that includes 3 TE's... so our third string TE is in there rather than a 2nd string Guard or Tackle... just makes no sense to me in 3rd and shorts or 4th and 1's.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Think of it like this Pride. If you didn't have a TE you would be blocking linebackers and D ends with a Wide receiver on run plays.

Pride
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I understand that T... I guess my issue is on more obvious run plays... like a 3rd and 1.. why use a TE? Why not just throw in another OL who can probably better block a D end or LB.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
We have underutilized our TEs through the last several coaching staffs. If you think back to Pete Metzelaars and Keith (K-Gun) McKellar, you can remember their value.

Among other things, a good TE is of great help in the red zone.

Romes
12-27-2006, 09:36 AM
We have underutilized our TEs through the last several coaching staffs. If you think back to Pete Metzelaars and Keith (K-Gun) McKellar, you can remember their value.

Among other things, a good TE is of great help in the red zone.

if they can keep their toes in bounds :curse:

madness
12-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I understand that T... I guess my issue is on more obvious run plays... like a 3rd and 1.. why use a TE? Why not just throw in another OL who can probably better block a D end or LB.

the core of the offensive line can only consist of a center, 2 tackles, and 2 guards.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
In that situation having another linemen out there makes it obvious to the D that it will be a run and they can stack the line accordingly. If a TE is in there they still need to respect the fact that he could peal off for a pass.

Luisito23
12-27-2006, 10:52 AM
if they can keep their toes in bounds :curse:

He messed up on that play, but I still like Royal....He has ample time to improve, and I see him doing that next season....I mean he's what 25, 26 right??....

GO BILLS!!!!!

BILLSROCK1212
12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing with how ****ty McMike is playing. You'd think they'd just put in another 'TE', some big LT, but I guess in theory, if you put a 300 lber, he wouldn't be fast enough to cover a CB or a LB? And I guess a TE always keeps a Defense honest and consider the possibility of a pass. It'd be an interesting thought to put in another T during a run play.The NJ Giants do a lot of that.

Lexwhat
12-27-2006, 12:32 PM
the core of the offensive line can only consist of a center, 2 tackles, and 2 guards.

Can't another tackle, let's say (for argument's sake) Brad Butler, go to the official and call himself an "eligible" receiver? Or does he have to have a certain jersey number to do that?

madness
12-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Can't another tackle, let's say (for argument's sake) Brad Butler, go to the official and call himself an "eligible" receiver? Or does he have to have a certain jersey number to do that?

I'm not definite at the NFL level but in high school and college, numbers 50-79 are always ineligible. You have to be eligible by position and number, position meaning either in the backfield or on the two ends of the line.

The_Philster
12-27-2006, 05:58 PM
yes, he can

TigerJ
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
The tight end is a big body who can block a defensive lineman. When you have a fourth WR in your personnel package, the defensive does not have to account for the fact that he might line up in tight and then block a guy in order to protect the QB, then run a short route and catch a pass. Any time you can force the other side, in this case the defense, to account for more possibilities, you have a strategic advantage.

YardRat
12-27-2006, 06:51 PM
What else would we do with athletes that aren't great at blocking, aren't great at catching, but somewhat adequate at doing both?