RedEyE
12-27-2006, 08:34 AM
...but will they have him?

After Ravens, nevermore?
Kelsay enters final game of his contract
By RODNEY MCKISSIC
News Sports Reporter
12/27/2006

When Chris Kelsay entered this season he knew what he was getting into. He was coming into the final year of his contract, which means there's pressure to perform. His friend, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Grant Wistrom, gave him some advice: Don't let stats dictate how you play.

So as the 6-foot-4, 275-pound Kelsay prepares for the Buffalo Bills season finale at Baltimore, he remains as unflappable as always. He appears relaxed and confident that everything will fall into place and adamant that he's not concerned about his future. "I've got [one game] for sure and we'll see what happens after that," said Kelsay, a four-year veteran. "I think if you get to thinking about your contract or whether or not you're going to be here next year it can be a negative for you. It's not going to help you any."

"I love Buffalo, it's home," Kelsay said. "My wife and daughter and I have a house here and we're pretty much here all year. We're both from Nebraska originally and we go back there for a couple of weeks at a time during the offseason, but this is our home. . . . It would be nice to be a Buffalo Bill."

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20061227/2062871.asp

Romes
12-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Kelsay is the Josh Reed of the Bills DL. 3rd best DE, valuable player to the team but not irriplaceable. I wouldn't care if he stays or if he goes.

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Keep him. If he wasn't rotating with Denney he would've have had the same nos. as Schobel of the past few years. I love our DE's . OUr De's have played their best this year compared to any year under TD and yet it was their first year under the new system. They can only get better. Just grab a DT.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I like Kelsay and would love to keep him.

Yasgur's Farm
12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
He's a key re-sign over the offseason.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 10:05 AM
He's a key re-sign over the offseason.
I wont disagree with that.

Kerr
12-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I think he could be replaced and the position upgraded, but it's also not a need either. Better play from a good set of defensive tackles should allow the ends to make more plays.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I think he could be replaced and the position upgraded, but it's also not a need either. Better play from a good set of defensive tackles should allow the ends to make more plays.
He is going to come cheap as hell, even if we use him as depth/ST he is an excellent player.

RockStar36
12-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't have a problem with him. I like that fact that he wants to stay in Buffalo. That's a big selling point for me.

ShadowHawk7
12-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Keep him. If he wasn't rotating with Denney he would've have had the same nos. as Schobel of the past few years. I love our DE's . OUr De's have played their best this year compared to any year under TD and yet it was their first year under the new system. They can only get better. Just grab a DT.
THis pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. DE is one of our best positions on the team.
Schobel = 14.5 sacks
Denney = 7 sacks
Kelsay = 5 or 6 sacks

Can't argue with that. Denney is also a solid run stopper.

Saratoga Slim
12-27-2006, 03:03 PM

I agree. combine Kelsey and Denney's stats, and you've got 12-13 sacks. No one would be complaining if we had a single DE opposite Schobel with 12-13 sacks. What's the difference? If an upgrade is available cheap, then fine. But I do think our DE positions are well staffed at the moment. DT is the larger issue.

Tatonka
12-27-2006, 09:17 PM
dont forget that hargrove will be better next year as well.. i am completely content with the 4 of them at DE.

Tatonka
12-27-2006, 09:20 PM
what we do need is a DOMINANT 4th DT..

i have no problem bringing back tripplett, kyle williams, and mccargo..

pat williams is a FA.. he would be perfect back here.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
what we do need is a DOMINANT 4th DT..

i have no problem bringing back tripplett, kyle williams, and mccargo..

pat williams is a FA.. he would be perfect back here.
Pat would be awesome but he would not fit the scheme.

That is unless of course he is just a third or forth and short guy.

Romes
12-27-2006, 09:27 PM

They need to re-think the scheme and bring in a few guys that can defend the run.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
You guys crack me up. Let's re-sign Mr. Mediocre because he's cheap and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Since the bye he's managed 1/2 a sack. He's not a good player. PERIOD.

For those who have a love-fest with Denney, he's even worse. Three of his six sacks were in week 2 against Miami when I could have recorded a sack against Culpepper.

These are not game changers. If we don't keep Clements, and we won't, it will be a long season for our secondary next year if we don't get Schobel help on the other side!!!

Tatonka
12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
look at every top sack guy in the league.. they all get sacks in bunches.. it is not uncommon.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree. combine Kelsey and Denney's stats, and you've got 12-13 sacks. No one would be complaining if we had a single DE opposite Schobel with 12-13 sacks. What's the difference? If an upgrade is available cheap, then fine. But I do think our DE positions are well staffed at the moment. DT is the larger issue.

Because a single guy that gets 12-13 sacks is going to get double teamed which opens it up for another defender. So your logic doesn't make sense. We'd actually be better with one guy that can do that vs. two!! Neither Kelsay or Denney are going to command the attention that Schobel does.

Plus after the year Schobel had plan on seeing teams defense against him better. We'll need an upgrade on the other side just to combat that!!

Kerr
12-28-2006, 01:04 AM

Not quite. The vikings run a type of cover 2 also. Pat would have no problem playing in the bills scheme.

As far as him being a FA, I could have sworn he was still under contract beyond next year, but he figures to be a cap cut in the offseason. I would love to see him back.

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 02:57 AM
If he wants to stay here, that most likely means that he is willing to sign a reasonable contract.. If this is the case, we should resign him.. I like him more than Denney, he is our 2nd best DE, imo.

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 07:42 AM
I don't care one way or the other. Players like him are a dime a dozen. Sign him if we can get him cheap, otherwise :bigwave:

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
You guys crack me up. Let's re-sign Mr. Mediocre because he's cheap and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Since the bye he's managed 1/2 a sack. He's not a good player. PERIOD.

For those who have a love-fest with Denney, he's even worse. Three of his six sacks were in week 2 against Miami when I could have recorded a sack against Culpepper.

These are not game changers. If we don't keep Clements, and we won't, it will be a long season for our secondary next year if we don't get Schobel help on the other side!!!
Denney get's tons of qb pressure. When teams run up the middle, it takes away our DE's play making ability. Clog up the middle and it frees them.

G. Host
12-31-2006, 12:53 AM

Pat Williams can play any scheme. He anchored the line while Sam Adams freestyled and can attack as well.

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Pat Williams can play any scheme. He anchored the line while Sam Adams freestyled and can attack as well.

What is with all the talk about Pat? Does Minnesota plan on releasing him or something?

B-DON
12-31-2006, 02:24 AM
i live in minny and believe me pat is going no where.. have you seen the vikes run d? its one of the greatest run D's of all time. for the second straight year he got robbed of the pro bowl. pat is playin ten times better tahn he ever played in buffalo

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2006, 02:44 AM
i live in minny and believe me pat is going no where.. have you seen the vikes run d? its one of the greatest run D's of all time. for the second straight year he got robbed of the pro bowl. pat is playin ten times better tahn he ever played in buffalo

Yeah, I wish Pat the best.. He was one of my favorite players while he was here. I'm just curious why his name is constantly brought up, it's such old news.

ricogarion
12-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Kelsay should be kept as he performed well and will only get better with time.If we can find another Pat Williams we need to get on it and while were at it find some filthy nasty linebackers that can gain some respect back for our defense and start shutting opposing RB's down.

John Doe
12-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Kelsay is a solid player.

He will be more expensive than one might think.

The_Philster
12-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I wish Pat the best.. He was one of my favorite players while he was here. I'm just curious why his name is constantly brought up, it's such old news.
and he's still under contract to the Vikes next season
http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=25165