PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Gates

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I'd really like to see the Bills get this guy back this season. I think he's wasting away on the Bucs practice squad right now. He was in contention for being the Bills #2 RB this preseason and, IMO, is a young A-Train in the making. He might not be starting material, but he's a damn good prospect and young talent. He seemed to fit in well here and was a simple roster casuality.

Get him back.

Meathead
12-27-2006, 10:02 AM
how good could he be if he cant beat out shaud

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
I dont think he'll be back, our backup RB will come out of this draft.

Kerr
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I hope levy can pick up another lousivlle product, micheal bush.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
What's his projected spot?

BTW, hasn't he been hurt most of the season?

Kerr
12-27-2006, 10:19 AM
What's his projected spot?

BTW, hasn't he been hurt most of the season?

He's probaby a projected 3rd rounder or 4th because he broke his leg, but he should recover though.

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
He's probaby a projected 3rd rounder or 4th because he broke his leg, but he should recover though.
can't we get a healthy one for a change?

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Very true.

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 10:28 AM

I think he outperformed Shaud Williams in training camp and preseason. The problem is Buffalo just didn't havet he room for 3 power backs (Willis, Thomas, and Gates). Shaud is a change-up back that equally contributes on STs.

But that's precisely my problem with Shaud. His versatility is in turn his weakness. He'll never be more than what he is right now. We've seen the best of Shaud Williams where as Lionel Gates could have been groomed in replacing Anthony Thomas long term. Let's face it, Thomas isn't getting younger and his performance degraded as the season progressed.

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM

That would be nice, but I highly doubt it.

Kerr
12-27-2006, 10:32 AM

He should be healthy by then. He broke his leg. Many athletes have broken their leg and come back. This is not Willis' same injury he had.

RedEyE
12-27-2006, 10:37 AM

He's been climbing draft boards quickly. If the trend continues, I see him going early 2nd if not late 1st.

TigerJ
12-27-2006, 10:42 AM

Gates was penalized for being too much or McGahee/Thomas clone. He has similar size and strngths to those guys Shaud Williams benefits from the fact that he's a smurf and potentially more elusive as a runner. The decision to release Gates had more to do with wanting a back who could provide a change of pace rather thanbasing it solely on ability. That said, Gates is not coming back. It's time to move on.

BILLSROCK1212
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
He's probaby a projected 3rd rounder or 4th because he broke his leg, but he should recover though.waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off he is a late 1st to early second and if he does well in the Senior Bowl if he is healthy enough to play in it and does well at the Combine and in other individual workouts he could climb boards very quickly....as of now he is the top senior RB prospect

Kerr
12-27-2006, 09:04 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off he is a late 1st to early second and if he does well in the Senior Bowl if he is healthy enough to play in it and does well at the Combine and in other individual workouts he could climb boards very quickly....as of now he is the top senior RB prospect

I don't expect him to play in any bowl game. From what I heard he's still recovering.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I think he outperformed Shaud Williams in training camp and preseason. The problem is Buffalo just didn't havet he room for 3 power backs (Willis, Thomas, and Gates). Shaud is a change-up back that equally contributes on STs.

But that's precisely my problem with Shaud. His versatility is in turn his weakness. He'll never be more than what he is right now. We've seen the best of Shaud Williams where as Lionel Gates could have been groomed in replacing Anthony Thomas long term. Let's face it, Thomas isn't getting younger and his performance degraded as the season progressed.

When JP threw TD passes he couldn't lift Gates over his head and twirl him around like Shaud. I think that was the ultimate deal breaker.:D

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Michael Bush was on pace to win the hysmein.. I wouldn't be disappointed one bit if we traded down to get him. Leg breaks are usually pretty common injuries that athletes recover 100% from, the risk seems very low unless he had multiple fractures on the leg. ( I'm talking Joe Theisman type of leg break.. )