PDA

View Full Version : A lot of people have thrown a lot of blame around, but...

Earthquake Enyart
12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Gee, didn't anyone see the Titans run the ball down our throats at the end of the game? I thought I was back in 1973 watching Czonka run over Jim Cheyunski.

LB has gone from a position of strength to a position of weakness. All 3 of them were terrible. Plus our safety, Simpson, tackles like Marge Simpson. Whitner was nowhere to be seen either.

Until we can stop the run, we aren't going anywhere.

Dr. Lecter
12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Except for Whitner, I agree. He did lead the team in tackles, which is a problem in itself.

Historian
12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Agreed.

gr8slayer
12-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Run and stop the run. Best way to win.

Earthquake Enyart
12-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Where were all 5 off those guys on Young's run?

R. Rich
12-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Better yet, how is it that we get an initial hit on a RB, only to have that back move the pile ahead another 6 yards to convert yet another 3rd down? I sure hope Jauron remembers that it was Tractor Traylor and Big Ted holding it down @ DT they year he was Coach of the Year and Urlacher was Defensive Player of the Year. Then again, those guys "don't fit the scheme".

TacklingDummy
12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Gee, didn't anyone see the Titans run the ball down our throats at the end of the game? I thought I was back in 1973 watching Czonka run over Jim Cheyunski.

And yet the Bills still had a chance to tie/win the game.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I agree, EE. Our D line needs help, but our LBs - particularly with Crowell out - have been a major part of the run stopping problem, too. It leaves a couple of rookie safeties as our last line of defense, which is never a good thing.

I think Spikes has to go, and Fletch, too. I'm not as enamored of these two as a lot of Bills' fans are.

madness
12-27-2006, 11:53 AM

On the other side of the field locking down their receivers. You have to give credit to Fisher and his staff. They've been slowly changing that offense to go with Young's strengths. That was a designed play giving Young the option to run if there wasn't an easy throw. A few well executed blocks and Young was able to coast in to the endzone.

Goobylal
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
The lack of a massive run-stopping DT is what is hurting the LB's the most. Those masses of humanity are supposed to absorb the guards so the LB's can clean up. It's a simple fix in theory, assuming can get the guy, but it's no coincidence that the run defense went to hell when Fat Pat left town.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I was in the TKE house with Jim at Syracuse. He was a really nice guy, but not real big. He started out as a running back, but since he was backing up Floyd Little, he welcomed the switch to LB and was a pretty good pro for the Pats and us. Way too small to handle Csonka, though.

(I realize this story has nothing to do with this thread, but at my age, it's easy to ramble.)

Earthquake Enyart
12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
I was in the TKE house with Jim at Syracuse. He was a really nice guy, but not real big. He started out as a running back, but since he was backing up Floyd Little, he welcomed the switch to LB and was a pretty good pro for the Pats and us. Way too small to handle Csonka, though.

(I realize this story has nothing to do with this thread, but at my age, it's easy to ramble.)
Sometimes I just feel like throwing out some old names that most of these guys have never heard of. :ee:

Romes
12-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I have never heard of Jim Cheyunski

:couch:

LtBillsFan66
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
On Vince Young's run, I'd like to know why #90 was running downfield with his back to the play, well after Young broke the LOS.

Earthquake Enyart
12-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I've seen that thing at least 4 times. It looks like we had 6 guys on the field.

THATHURMANATOR
12-27-2006, 12:49 PM

LB has gone from a position of strength to a position of weakness. All 3 of them were terrible. Plus our safety, Simpson, tackles like Marge Simpson. Whitner was nowhere to be seen either.

Until we can stop the run, we aren't going anywhere.
good point especially on Simpson. I made a similar comment to my buddy at the game.

mchurchfie
12-27-2006, 12:53 PM
On the other side of the field locking down their receivers.
I think the receivers locked them down...no excuses for that TD, it would have never happened against a good defense.

Earthquake Enyart
12-27-2006, 12:54 PM
good point especially on Simpson. I made a similar comment to my buddy at the game.
He takes real bad angles, then can't tackle anybody once he gets there.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I think Simpson only played 2 years at Clemson, so he should get better. It's the nontackling of veterans like Spikes, Fletcher, Kelsay, Triplett and Anderson that bother me more.

mchurchfie
12-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I've seen that thing at least 4 times. It looks like we had 6 guys on the field.
The other five were probably 30 yds upfield blindly rushing the passer.:ill:

mchurchfie
12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I think Simpson only played 2 years at Clemson, so he should get better. It's the nontackling of veterans like Spikes, Fletcher, Kelsay, Triplett and Anderson that bother me more.
I totally agree. The coaches need to quit making excuses for them and start crawling up their asses a little. A lot of tackling is about attitude and desire.