PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the 4th and 5 play again and....

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2006, 01:30 AM
......Jauron is an ***hole for not calling the FG.

Sorry, it was a stupid idea to go for it, and the play that was called was even more moronic.

Fire Dick.

Fire Fairchild.

That was an embarassment.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Time to move on.

Ebenezer
12-28-2006, 02:28 AM
time to talk to some folks that were there...even some of the Bills worse critics in this area have said that the FG was not makeable.

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 02:59 AM
time to talk to some folks that were there...even some of the Bills worse critics in this area have said that the FG was not makeable.

It was a makeable FG. Bironas kicked a 42 yarder, I'm sure Lindell could of kicked a 45 yarder. People are acting like the kick was impossible to make.. But I'm over it already, I guess we should agree to disagree.

Ebenezer
12-28-2006, 03:03 AM
It was a makeable FG. Bironas kicked a 42 yarder, I'm sure Lindell could of kicked a 45 yarder. People are acting like the kick was impossible to make.. But I'm over it already, I guess we should agree to disagree.
I was not there but have heard from a couple of media sources as well as people that were there...Bironas has a stronger leg and barely made it from 42 and the winds weren't as strong when he kicked it...I could imagine the uproar if he sends out Lindell and Lindell misses and they lose...and then Lindell signs the new contract? Yikes.

...also, there was a time, not long ago, that fans wanted Lindell run out of town...

Bone
12-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Wind. It was a HUGE factor the ball would ahve never made it down at that end, but still u gotta try the FG

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 03:14 AM
I was not there but have heard from a couple of media sources as well as people that were there...Bironas has a stronger leg and barely made it from 42 and the winds weren't as strong when he kicked it...I could imagine the uproar if he sends out Lindell and Lindell misses and they lose...and then Lindell signs the new contract? Yikes.

...also, there was a time, not long ago, that fans wanted Lindell run out of town...

I was angry at Lindell and we could use a kicker with a stronger leg, but I'm grateful that he was resigned to a 5 year deal. Imagine how quick the Cowgirls would have gobbled him up via FA.

As to your comment about Bironas barely making a 42 yard FG in the wind, my thoughts are simple: The RWS's wind conditions change frequently during the game, sometimes it makes your kicks / throws fall short and sometimes it will make them travel an extra 10-15 yards, it really depends.. I don't feel that we would have been asking the impossible of Lindell and I'm not trying to pin the loss solely on him either.. I'm more disappointed in Robert Royal than I am with anybody else on the team..

Ebenezer
12-28-2006, 03:20 AM
I was angry at Lindell and we could use a kicker with a stronger leg, but I'm grateful that he was resigned to a 5 year deal. Imagine how quick the Cowgirls would have gobbled him up via FA.

As to your comment about Bironas barely making a 42 yard FG in the wind, my thoughts are simple: The RWS's wind conditions change frequently during the game, sometimes it makes your kicks / throws fall short and sometimes it will make them travel an extra 10-15 yards, it really depends.. I don't feel that we would have been asking the impossible of Lindell and I'm not trying to pin the loss solely on him either.. I'm more disappointed in Robert Royal than I am with anybody else on the team..
I live in Orchard Park and we were listening to the game...there was a gale in my backyard; I can only imagine what it was like at the stadium...

Looking to lay blame? It was no different then when RJ led the Bills to a lead in the playoff game against the Titans...Bledsoe led the team to a lead against the Steelers and Losman led the team to a lead against the Chargers and now the Titans...you count on your offense to score but you look to the def/ST not to blow leads...

The defense gave up a 9 point lead in the 4th...look no further.

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 03:39 AM
I live in Orchard Park and we were listening to the game...there was a gale in my backyard; I can only imagine what it was like at the stadium...

Looking to lay blame? It was no different then when RJ led the Bills to a lead in the playoff game against the Titans...Bledsoe led the team to a lead against the Steelers and Losman led the team to a lead against the Chargers and now the Titans...you count on your offense to score but you look to the def/ST not to blow leads...

I agree.. But instead of blaming the players, I blame the system.. I'm honestly not a fan of the Tampa 2 system right now and I feel like our personnel is too undersized to stop the run.. I had bad thoughts about Tennesse before the game and I actually predicted us to lose because of our suspect run D. I just wish we would go back to the 3-4 already..

IAG
12-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Gus Johnson was certainly puzzled. I was laughing at his call. I think he had some cash on the game.

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 07:12 AM
I knew we lost when we ran the ball a couple of plays earlier. I was screaming "WTF are they doing???". I knew they were too far away for a field goal.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2006, 07:13 AM

Bironas barely made a 42 yard FG. And he has a stronger leg than Lindell (he has one of the strongest legs in the NFL). The odds of making it were less than the odds of making a 4th and 5.

If you were not there, you have no idea waht the winds were like. The were brutal. At the time of the 4th and 5, both flags on the uprights were pointing straight out towards the other end zone.

Yasgur's Farm
12-28-2006, 08:05 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd say it was combined set of errors by the coaches.

1) With the plays leading up to the 4th down... It looks like the coaches completely disregarded the wind factor once they were in normal FG range. They played it like they were setting up for a game winning FG attempt.
2) On 4th down... After they reallized their error... It seems they thought there was time for only 1 more play... Thus the endzone throw rather than a play designed to pick up 5 yards.

madness
12-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Bironas barely made a 42 yard FG. And he has a stronger leg than Lindell (he has one of the strongest legs in the NFL). The odds of making it were less than the odds of making a 4th and 5.

If you were not there, you have no idea waht the winds were like. The were brutal. At the time of the 4th and 5, both flags on the uprights were pointing straight out towards the other end zone.

Emphasized for the slow people.

OpIv37
12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
......Jauron is an ***hole for not calling the FG.

Sorry, it was a stupid idea to go for it, and the play that was called was even more moronic.

Fire Dick.

Fire Fairchild.

That was an embarassment.

I'm not 100% sure that a FG would have been the right call, but there is no doubt that the play call was terrible and the way the whole sequence went down (not knowing if they should try the kick, rushing the O back on the field with the play clock winding down) was just embarrassing.

Seriously, I like Jauron's game planning and there have been a few times this year where he's made good halftime adjustments, but for the most part his in-game coaching has been terrible. And you can debate this specific situation all day, but the point is that it's one of many examples of poor in-game decision-making and there is no way to defend them all as a whole.

At this point I think switching coaches AGAIN may do more harm than good, but I have serious doubts about what will happen with Jauron calling the shots. Maybe the answer is the opposite of the Williams/Gilbride situation- the coordinators need MORE authority during games and Jauron will need to take a more hands-off Gibbs approach.

TigerJ
12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I was thinking I would have tried to kick the FG, but I'll defer to those who were present at the game and state that it would have been impossible.

SABURZFAN
12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
the play that was called was even more moronic.

no doubt.

Philagape
12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
The problem on that drive was not running it the whole way. We had plenty of time and just needed a few more yards.

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I agree, The FG might have been too much to ask in that weather. However, that 4th down play selection was pitiful. I know Dick slowed things down because he had to stare into Lindell's eyes for 15 seconds of the playclock like a homo but Fairchild should have had a high percentage shorter yardage money play for just that situation ready well before that. Why in the hell would you have your slowest receiver, though very dependable, be the only one to try to get a first down while you send everyone else deep into the endzone??!! That was ****ing ******ed.:down:

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm not 100% sure that a FG would have been the right call, but there is no doubt that the play call was terrible and the way the whole sequence went down (not knowing if they should try the kick, rushing the O back on the field with the play clock winding down) was just embarrassing.

Exactly. It was a comedy of errors on that whole drive, up to and including the go for it decision and the final boneheaded play call. The coaches simply do not work well under pressure and it showed big time.

And to lose to the Titans in the final play....again....must be payback from the football gods for The Comeback.

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I agree, The FG might have been too much to ask in that weather. However, that 4th down play selection was pitiful. I know Dick slowed things down because he had to stare into Lindell's eyes for 15 seconds of the playclock like a homo but Fairchild should have had a high percentage shorter yardage money play for just that situation ready well before that. Why in the hell would you have your slowest receiver, though very dependable, be the only one to try to get a first down while you send everyone else deep into the endzone??!! That was ****ing ******ed.:down:

Bingo.