PDA

View Full Version : McGahee wants to stay long term...Fletcher ready to leave?

Italian Stallion
12-28-2006, 08:06 AM
This is from Bills Daily....

McGahee Wants To Stay? Reports say that Willis McGahee has stated he wants to stay with the Bills and wants a contract extension in the offseason. His contract expires at the end of the 2007 season but it has always been assumed that his agent Drew Rosenhaus would want a new deal before then. Rosenhaus called a new deal for McGahee a high priority this offseason. His original contract was based a lot on recovering from his serious knee injury in college, which makes his base salary next year lower then most first round draft picks signed in 2003.

Fletcher Sounds Ready To Leave: London Fletcher told the media yesterday he is non commital on his future but the more he talked the more he sounded like someone ready for a fresh start elsewhere. He said he isn't leaning one way or another but made it clear this could be his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He said the Bills have to show they are serious about keeping him but it has been hard on him, not making the playoffs in his five years with the team. He also had hoped to get an extension last offseason when he hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him. The Bills have made overtures to him about a new deal but have not made a serious offer yet.

-I myself personally cannot justify giving Willis an extention after this season....he's too much of a headache and very suseptible to injury

-This is dissapointing to hear about Fletcher, but can you blame the guy? He would get so much more attention in a national media haven like NYC or DC, and probally have a better shot at making the playoffs, as well as a pro bowl.

Discuss...seeing as how were only a few days away from true offseason mode here on the board.

Romes
12-28-2006, 08:18 AM
I may be in the minority but if this is true its good news. I'd rather have Willis than London.

People have given Willis crap, but he struggled behind the same OL JP struggled behind the first part of the season. He missed basically 3 games due to injury. No one mentions this but Willis does not fumble. He is a solid back.

On the other hand Fletcher is the opposite. He puts up the numbers but they are deceiving. He is good dropping into coverage but I'd rather have a LB who can penetrate the gaps, shed some blocks and get some tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is on the downside of his career.

Typ0
12-28-2006, 08:21 AM
I may be in the minority but if this is true its good news. I'd rather have Willis than London.

People have given Willis crap, but he struggled behind the same OL JP struggled behind the first part of the season. He missed basically 3 games due to injury. No one mentions this but Willis does not fumble. He is a solid back.

On the other hand Fletcher is the opposite. He puts up the numbers but they are deceiving. He is good dropping into coverage but I'd rather have a LB who can penetrate the gaps, shed some blocks and get some tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is on the downside of his career.

best post I've seen in months.

Voltron
12-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I would hate to lose Fletcher-Baker but if he doesn't want to be here then you don't want him to stay. I bet that Washington will offer him some long contract that will be hugly front loaded.

Willis ..... I could care less about. I miss Travis Henry ... especially after watching this last game :(

Gunzlingr
12-28-2006, 08:26 AM

I tend to agree with this.

Night Train
12-28-2006, 08:29 AM
We are not satified with the production of our running game or our rushing D.

I don't see Willis getting a long term deal here unless it's cap friendly and Fletcher is gone.

Changes should be coming. Improvement is needed in many phases of the team structure to compete for a wild card spot.

Coach Sal
12-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Fletcher Sounds Ready To Leave: London Fletcher told the media yesterday he is non commital on his future but the more he talked the more he sounded like someone ready for a fresh start elsewhere. He said he isn't leaning one way or another but made it clear this could be his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He said the Bills have to show they are serious about keeping him but it has been hard on him, not making the playoffs in his five years with the team. He also had hoped to get an extension last offseason when he hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him. The Bills have made overtures to him about a new deal but have not made a serious offer yet.

I noticed this in LFB's postgame press conference, and mention it on this week's preview show (should be out tonight/early tomorrow). Go back and watch the postgame interviews on BuffaloBills.com. When asked if he thought the Bills had a bright future - London's body language - and his response - screemed, "I won't be here anyway" to me.

-I myself personally cannot justify giving Willis an extention after this season....he's too much of a headache and very suseptible to injury

He's been injured a little too often for what I'd like to see, but he's played through almost any injury he's had (and even came back earlier than he probably should after the rib injury).

And how has he been a "headache?" Willis hasn't caused any waves in the Bills organization since he's been a part of it.

madness
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I would hate to lose Fletcher-Baker but if he doesn't want to be here then you don't want him to stay. I bet that Washington will offer him some long contract that will be hugly front loaded.

Willis ..... I could care less about. I miss Travis Henry ... especially after watching this last game :(

If Willis was running against us last week he'd throw the Jets to the curb cuz he would have found his new *****.

alohabillsfan
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
I concur with all.... I will not be overly upset if Fletcher leaves, yes he is a warrior never injured but he is not the disrupter MLB this defense needs! I would love to see Spikes move inside, it may extend his career. As far as Willis I would love to see him extended at an average price not what is below,

Aug 2004
LaDainian Tomlinson signed the richest contract for a running back in NFL history Saturday, a deal with the San Diego Chargers worth nearly $60 million.

The star back will get $21 million in guarantees in the eight-year deal.

Tomlinson surpasses Washington's Clinton Portis, who got $50.5 million for eight years.

The only way I see something like this happening is if it's backloaded Something like 15 million in guarantees over the first 5 years.

I would not mind seeing a surprisingly or moderatly high extention if the intention is to trade him for a need player or a second round pick!

JPFBillsFan
12-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Bye Bye Willis/London/Nate and any other ME-Player on this team....
2007 Buffalo Bills will be all about "TEAM".....

I can't wait......Sick of these selfish premadonna athletes....

Captain Obvious
12-28-2006, 09:29 AM
London or Nate would get a little more attention playing in Washington, but they would'nt necessarily have a better chance at making the playoffs. How many times have the redskins made the playoffs in the last 6 years? Once?

Statman
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Sounds as if Fletcher will stick around if he gets overpaid.

Willis' numbers are about identical to Antowain Smith's while he was with the Bills. He was the primary ball carrier for only one season splitting time with Thomas or Linton otherwise.

If you liked Smith, then you like Willis. Smith's best season and only season in which he was the primary ball carrier, he put up 1,124 yards on 3.7 YPC with 8 TDs.

In three seasons as the Bills primary ball carrier, and assuming nothing spectacular on Sunday against the Ravens, McGahee has averaged about exactly the same yards, 3.9 YPC, and 8 TDs.

If we pay McGahee accordingly then fine. Otherwise Antowain Smith wasn't an integral cog in the wheel of a championship caliber football team and neither is McGahee who may be the most overrated RB in the NFL at present.

Smith was taller as well meaning the McGahee is more optimally sized making his numbers even less impressive. He can't be counted on in short yardage or goal-to-go situations either. RBs like him are not difficult to come by. He's also not a character guy that Levy says he likes.

Therefore, expect the Bills to overpay to keep him around.

Statman
12-28-2006, 09:40 AM
For all of his hype, he also doesn't have a single receiving TD in three seasons.

cocamide
12-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Bye Bye Willis/London/Nate and any other ME-Player on this team....
2007 Buffalo Bills will be all about "TEAM".....

I can't wait......Sick of these selfish premadonna athletes....

I think I have to disagree with you here. How are these players all about "Me"? Of course they want the highest contracts they can possibly get. Playing football is their job, and they won't be able to do it for 40-50 years like most of us can work our jobs. So they need to get as much now as they possibly can. It only takes one injury and they become useless. When Sunday comes, each of these guys are trying to win for the Bills. If another team is willing to pay more than the Bills are, then it's the Bills organization who let down the player, not the other way around.

JPFBillsFan
12-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey man I'm all for getting paid......but you know what, these guys make enough....we spend enough to watch them........and the ones who are suffering are the old players on pentions from the NFL......

These players are 100% greedy....PERIOD.......

No Top Tier FA will come to Buffalo, and I don't blame RW for not spending huge amounts on there ungrateful A$$e$.....Look at Willis...HE sat a whole year and collected a paycheck, yet he doesn't know its 4th down in the 1st game of the year......That right there is enough for me to go in another direction, but he knows that he's contract is coming up....F Him and Nate...
Fletcher plays hard...father time is catching up to him.....he's given us his best years, for this I am thankful and say good luck next year in Washington or where ever...

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
I love Fletcher but I dont want anyone who doesn't want to be here.

Saratoga Slim
12-28-2006, 10:04 AM

I am prone to focusing on the fact that Willis is not exactly a brilliant PR machine for himself, and get down on him sometimes. If he a) didn't ever talk, and b) showed up for a few off-season workouts, I'd have much less reason to be uncomfortable with him. You're right, he doesn't fumble, he's been playing through significant injuries, he's getting better at blitz pickups, and his less than top-flite yardage production may have something to do with our average-at-best OL. If he actually does want to be in Buffalo, I'm actually a little more favorably disposed toward him.

He's simply not in the same league as LT or LJ, but I think he's in the top 10 range or close to it. If he's willing to accept a reasonably priced extension, which he probably should considering the fact that he's not putting up elite numbers, I'm fine with bringing him back. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a second, perhaps smaller but more explosive RB brought in through the draft. I like the two-back platoon system that a lot of teams are using. As an example, Willis and Steve Slaton would be a nasty combo in the McCallister/Bush mold. Thomas is a great backup, but he's just a slightly more powerful, less explosive version of Willis. I see him more as a replacement for Willis than as another weapon to use in our offense.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 10:10 AM
As much as I like Fletch IMO Fletch=Moulds. We'll miss him but we can and will move on without him if he wants to be overpaid.

mysticsoto
12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
As much as I like Fletch IMO Fletch=Moulds. We'll miss him but we can and will move on without him if he wants to be overpaid.

Exactly. And in truth, it will not be that hard to replace Fletch. There are some good FAs available and we might even go the draft route and draft a 1st rounder quick LB given that TKO's injury has left us slightly depleted there. A new top draft pick with speed, quickness and good tackling skills will do wonders for our defense. Then all we need is for a Dline that can stop the run (replace Anderson with a run stopper) and we should have a pretty good defense with or without Fletcher.

Tatonka
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
running backs are a dime a dozen.. especially ones that can put up what willis has done.. willis is about middle of the pack.. so offer him a middle of the pack contract.. if he doesnt want it.. let him go.. who else is going to pay him?

fletcher is past his prime.. he is a middle linebacker who is 31.. no thanks to his high contract demands.. if your going to overpay for someone.. go over pay for lance briggs, who still has his best years ahead of him, and move tko to the inside. or just draft someone else there as well.

linebacker and running back are two of the easiest positions to fill with rookie talent.

spend money on our 4th DT and a TE.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
running backs are a dime a dozen.. especially ones that can put up what willis has done.. .
Nuff said.

Willis 3.9 ypc.

Thomas 3.5 ypc with less snaps in practice.

Not saying that Thomas is the answer but there isn't much of a drop off from Willis. He also is better catching from the backfield.

mayotm
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I would like to see them extend Willis, but agree they shouldn't overpay for him. For what it's worth, Jauron seems to love the guy. I'm also encouraged that Willis wants to stay.

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2006, 10:38 AM

On the other hand Fletcher is the opposite. He puts up the numbers but they are deceiving. He is good dropping into coverage but I'd rather have a LB who can penetrate the gaps, shed some blocks and get some tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is on the downside of his career.what we need now for Willis is a change of pace back, the A-Train isnt our best option for this, I would like an RB like Correll Buckhalter or Chris Brown who both happen to be FA this offseason but the best option of all this offseason may be LaBrandon Toefield from the Jags....another option is Musa Smith. Along with an O-line Willis needs another back up behind him who can actually put up 100 yards when Willis is down and not just against a team like the Colts.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm also encouraged that Willis wants to stay.at what price?

mybills
12-28-2006, 10:45 AM
London Fletcher told the media yesterday he is non commital on his future but the more he talked the more he sounded like someone ready for a fresh start elsewhere. He said he isn't leaning one way or another but made it clear this could be his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He said the Bills have to show they are serious about keeping him but it has been hard on him, not making the playoffs in his five years with the team.

If he leaves, he's gonna be sorry after we get in next year.:dance:

HAMMER
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
running backs are a dime a dozen.. especially ones that can put up what willis has done.. willis is about middle of the pack.. so offer him a middle of the pack contract.. if he doesnt want it.. let him go.. who else is going to pay him?

fletcher is past his prime.. he is a middle linebacker who is 31.. no thanks to his high contract demands.. if your going to overpay for someone.. go over pay for lance briggs, who still has his best years ahead of him, and move tko to the inside. or just draft someone else there as well.

linebacker and running back are two of the easiest positions to fill with rookie talent.

spend money on our 4th DT and a TE.

Good post, I hold Fletcher in high regard for his play and leadership in Buffalo. But at 31 you can't pay him top dollar, drop offs come very quickly after 30 in the NFL.

Lexwhat
12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey man I'm all for getting paid......but you know what, these guys make enough....we spend enough to watch them........and the ones who are suffering are the old players on pentions from the NFL......

These players are 100% greedy....PERIOD.......

No Top Tier FA will come to Buffalo, and I don't blame RW for not spending huge amounts on there ungrateful A$$e$.....Look at Willis...HE sat a whole year and collected a paycheck, yet he doesn't know its 4th down in the 1st game of the year......That right there is enough for me to go in another direction, but he knows that he's contract is coming up....F Him and Nate...
Fletcher plays hard...father time is catching up to him.....he's given us his best years, for this I am thankful and say good luck next year in Washington or where ever...

Whatever. It's only natural for a player to seek the highest contract offer he can get. You would do the same in their position.

And even then, who says London is looking for a fat contract? My guess is that he will look for a combination of reasonable salary and a winning team. He would be perfect for a team like the Jaguars.

IMO, Fletcher still has a few years left. But if he wants to leave, then I also don't blame him.

Tatonka
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
the jags are no better off than the bills.. imho.

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM

McGahee Wants To Stay?

Sounds like a holdout in the making.

Fletcher Sounds Ready To Leave
Best news I've heard all day...time to move on.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Willis is one of the top running backs in the league.

Locking him up long term is in the best interest of the team.

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I know, just ask him and his agent.;)

X-Era
12-28-2006, 03:54 PM

McGahee Wants To Stay? Reports say that Willis McGahee has stated he wants to stay with the Bills and wants a contract extension in the offseason. His contract expires at the end of the 2007 season but it has always been assumed that his agent Drew Rosenhaus would want a new deal before then. Rosenhaus called a new deal for McGahee a high priority this offseason. His original contract was based a lot on recovering from his serious knee injury in college, which makes his base salary next year lower then most first round draft picks signed in 2003.

-This is dissapointing to hear about Fletcher, but can you blame the guy? He would get so much more attention in a national media haven like NYC or DC, and probally have a better shot at making the playoffs, as well as a pro bowl.

Discuss...seeing as how were only a few days away from true offseason mode here on the board.

Brace yourself, your about to see Nate, Fletch, and maybe Willis all gone. And I dont see us replacing them with better players except for the draft.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 03:58 PM

You base this on what?

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:05 PM

You base this on what?

Three consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.

X-Era
12-28-2006, 04:06 PM

Hes not even the best in the AFC East, much less the league. I honestly would rather have Maroney right now than McGahee.

Hes a potential cancer or at least his agent will make him one, he wants pay he doesnt deserve, and he did little to earn a big contract this past season either. How many games did McGahee and his "tough running" win us this year? Has the guy EVER taken over a game? like LT? Guys, he goes donw by the flippin shoestrings. Maybe its so apparent because we git used to watching Travis bounce off tackle after tackle, but Willis just hasnt been dominant. Did he get 1000+? Yes, but so did Henry. So do MANY RB's. Does he get 100 when he plays a top D? NEVER.

We can make a huge change with a guy like Lynch or Bush and head in a new direction. Furthermore, maybe we get a pick from him and can draft some more playmakers that we are likely not to replace in FA after our losses. Guys like Buster Davis a likely 2nd rounder to replace Fletch come to mind.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Three consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.
1,000 yards in 16 games. Not impressive.

BTW he hasn't hit a thousand yet.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:08 PM
1,000 yards in 16 games. Not impressive.

Three years in a row.

Who else has done it?

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:14 PM
LT has done it every year of his career.

LJ has gone over 1,500 the past two years (his only years starting)

Tiki has done it the past five years

Steven Jackson has done it two years in a row (his only years starting)

Willie Parker has done it two years in a row (his only years starting)

Rudi Johnson has done it three years in a row

Thomas Jones three years in a row

Fred Taylor five times in his career.

Hell even Travis Henry did it multiple times

Edge = Five of his seven seasons

Warrick Dunn three years in a row

Jamal Lewis every year

Point is. Not that impressive.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
LT has done it every year of his career.

LJ has gone over 1,500 the past two years (his only years starting)

Tiki has done it the past five years

Steven Jackson has done it two years in a row (his only years starting)

Willie Parker has done it two years in a row (his only years starting)

Rudi Johnson has done it three years in a row

Thomas Jones three years in a row

Fred Taylor five times in his career.

Hell even Travis Henry did it multiple times

Edge = Five of his seven seasons

Warrick Dunn three years in a row

Jamal Lewis every year

Point is. Not that impressive.

Point is, it is impressive.

Only a handful of backs have rushed for 1,000 yards for each of the past three years.

Unless you can pick up a proven back with that kind of production, then keep Willis.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Point is, it is impressive.

Only a handful of backs have rushed for 1,000 yards for each of the past three years.

Unless you can pick up a proven back with that kind of production, then keep Willis.
So we should over pay him because he has done something that ALOT of RB's out there can do for alot less $

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
So we should over pay him because he has done something that ALOT of RB's out there can do for alot less $

Where did I say "overpay him" ?

Pay him like the top 10 back that he is.

Extend him now when he has less leverage than when he finishes his contract.

If he wants LT money, then he can walk.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Pay him like the top 10 back that he is.
Let him prove it this sunday against the top D in the NFL. .

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Let him prove it this sunday against the top D in the NFL. .
Well he hasn't done it against anyone but the Jets this year so this is his last chance.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Well he hasn't done it against anyone but the Jets this year so this is his last chance.

Ealry on I gave him the same excuses I gave JP. The OL. JP's gotten significantly better but he hasn't.

SABURZFAN
12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
had it been a little colder in buffalo this year,i think willis would be singing a different tune.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:47 PM
had it been a little colder in buffalo this year,i think willis would be singing a different tune.
???

lordofgun
12-28-2006, 05:04 PM
His career was over when he added the hyphen.

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
His career was over when he added the hyphen.The added weight of those extra letters on his jersey.:ill:

Voltron
12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Willis is nothing special. Give any running back enough runs in a 16 game season and they will break 1000 yards. Hell Mike Alstott was a Full Back and used to break 1000 yards! It isn't as impressive as it used to be by any stretch!

YardRat
12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Timely posturing by their representative. Fletcher wants to go, so he will. McGahee has a year left on his contract so the first flag you fly is the loyalty card. Let's see if Willis is still singing the same tune around training camp time and he doesn't have a deal.

CuseJetsFan83
12-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Willis is nothing special. Give any running back enough runs in a 16 game season and they will break 1000 yards. Hell Mike Alstott was a Full Back and used to break 1000 yards! It isn't as impressive as it used to be by any stretch!

exactly..... now if he was like barry sanders/curtis martin and did it 10 years in a row thats one thing........ but 2 or 3 years.. heck a RB in today's league needs to hit 1500 to be "special"

i still dont think mcgahee has ever completely healed from the injury in college... but then again, maybe he knows he'll get paid regardless

LifetimeBillsFan
12-29-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm not as down on Willis as some people are, but I'm also not sold on him being a Top 10 RB, either. Frankly, he hasn't had much of an offensive line to run behind in Buffalo since taking over from T.Henry, so I'm not sure we really know how good he can be. I must also say that he has done a lot to gain my respect and that of his teammates this season by playing with a bad ankle and three broken ribs--that hasn't been easy.

That having been said, my take on his comments and those of his agent were that he is angling for a top dollar contract in the range of the kind of numbers that E.James got from the Cards. IMHO, if that's the case, forget it!

If Willis and Rosenhaus want the Bills to extend this contract this off-season, IMHO they will have to come up with more realistic numbers than that. If they do, fine: I think Willis has shown enough flashes of ability that, with a better offensive line in front of him, he could be the kind of RB that the Bills will need to get to a Super Bowl. But, I wouldn't break the bank for him or give him E.James money--he hasn't proven that he deserves that much. If I were making the decisions, I would see what Willis wants to stay with the Bills and, if it worked for the team, I would keep him, but, if not, I wouldn't worry about him leaving.

Willis still has a year to go on his contract. He can hold out or threaten a holdout before next season if he wants to, but, given that he does not have E.James/S.Alexander credentials and that A.Thomas did a decent job replacing him, he would only be hurting his value as a free agent if he were to do so. If he doesn't like what the Bills are willing to offer him to extend his deal, his best bet would be to play out his contract and try to have the best season he possibly could--which would only benefit the Bills. Then, he could go his way and the Bills could try to replace him.

Unlike this coming off-season, when the free agent and draft class of RBs is pretty thin, the draft Class of 2007-08 may be the best RB draft class in history. Mike Hart of Michigan just announced he is staying for his senior year, so he will be coming out for sure. And, then there are the current sophomores: Darren McFadden of Arkansas(Eric Dickerson anyone?), Steve Slaton of WVU (L.Thomlinson), Ray Rice from Rutgers (T.Henry), T.(?) Davis from Clemson (S.Davis), M.(?) Stewart of Oregon, and Brandon Ore from Va.Tech--some of whom are guaranteed to be coming out as juniors. Those are seven 1st-2nd round caliber RBs--all of whom have the potential to be 1,000 yard rushers in the NFL. And, you have to figure that at least 3 of those seven will be coming out in that draft, if not more. And, that's not even taking into consideration the RBs who might be available as free agents.

Undoubtedly, Rosenhaus knows that, if he doesn't come up with a deal for Willis with the Bills this off-season, his client will be facing stiff competition in the market-place after next season. So, obviously, he is trying to get his client the best deal that he can now. But, the Bills don't have to cave in to his demands and can afford to hold firm--knowing that Willis is under contract for next season and that they will have plenty of options to replace him after that. So, it is possible that Rosenhaus may end up being more reasonable than he might otherwise be expected to be, knowing that the Bills have a lot of leverage. If that happens, the Bills just may end up giving Willis a contract extension this off-season--though perhaps one with fewer performance bonuses and more guaranteed money. But, it's not something that they HAVE to do--it's really going to be their choice, basedon how reasonable Rosenhaus and Willis are willing to be.

As for London Fletcher-Baker: Here again, I got a little different impression from what he said than others did. I think that he would like to stay in Buffalo, but is unhappy with all of the losing and only wants to stay if he gets paid and can see an end to the losing. I think that, if he stays, he will ultimately see the end of all the losing, but I'm not sure that the Bills are going to be willing to make a long-term committment to him at the money he wants. I think that they would like to keep him for his leadership--because a young team like the Bills does need some solid veteran leadership to take the next step--but they are committed to getting younger and faster and are not going to want to tie up as much money as he may want in an older player on the downside of his career. I can definitely see the Bills letting F-B go and making a big push for Lance Briggs this off-season--a player who knows the system, has excelled in it, and who has played MLB in this system when B.Urlacher was hurt a couple of years ago. The question is whether Briggs will leave Chicago and whether the Bills will be willing to pay enough to get him to come to Buffalo. With Crowell and Stamer coming off injuries and the Bills needing to add playmakers on defense, can they afford to let F-B go if they don't sign Briggs? This isn't the deepest draft at LB: Patrick Willis and Paul Posluzny are probably the top LBs in this class. Do the Bills take the risk that one of those two, plus Crowell and Ellison, can give them the play that they need out of their LBs if TKO can't play any better than he did this season and they can't sign Briggs? I don't know.

I have a feeling that London is going to want more money or years than the Bills are willing to give him and that, despite the fact that they would like to keep him for a couple of years for his leadership, they will have to let him walk. I don't see that being necessarily a bad thing--because I can't see him being effective in this defense after another year or two--if Crowell can come back and they can sign Briggs. However, it does worry me if it means that they are going to have to rely on Spikes' regaining his lost speed and agility. I see it being more imperitive for the Bills to replace TKO with a playmaking LB than to replace F-B. The problem and question is whether they can do both this off-season. It won't be easy, but I suspect that they are going to have to do that if they are really going to be able to improve their run defense next season.

Michael82
12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
The day that London Fletcher-Baker signed a contract with Drew Rosenhaus, was the day that he decided that he wanted to get PAID and would be leaving.

madness
12-29-2006, 12:38 PM
LBF, I'd just like to say I love reading your posts but sometimes I'm just too damn lazy to read all of it.

I was wondering, since you obviously don't mind typing, could you also please post a condensed version(5-10 sentences tops) for us lazy bastards? :snicker: