McGahee wants to stay long term...Fletcher ready to leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Italian Stallion
    Knows More Than You
    • Feb 2004

McGahee wants to stay long term...Fletcher ready to leave?

This is from Bills Daily....

McGahee Wants To Stay? Reports say that Willis McGahee has stated he wants to stay with the Bills and wants a contract extension in the offseason. His contract expires at the end of the 2007 season but it has always been assumed that his agent Drew Rosenhaus would want a new deal before then. Rosenhaus called a new deal for McGahee a high priority this offseason. His original contract was based a lot on recovering from his serious knee injury in college, which makes his base salary next year lower then most first round draft picks signed in 2003.

Fletcher Sounds Ready To Leave: London Fletcher told the media yesterday he is non commital on his future but the more he talked the more he sounded like someone ready for a fresh start elsewhere. He said he isn't leaning one way or another but made it clear this could be his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He said the Bills have to show they are serious about keeping him but it has been hard on him, not making the playoffs in his five years with the team. He also had hoped to get an extension last offseason when he hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him. The Bills have made overtures to him about a new deal but have not made a serious offer yet.

-I myself personally cannot justify giving Willis an extention after this season....he's too much of a headache and very suseptible to injury

-This is dissapointing to hear about Fletcher, but can you blame the guy? He would get so much more attention in a national media haven like NYC or DC, and probally have a better shot at making the playoffs, as well as a pro bowl.

Discuss...seeing as how were only a few days away from true offseason mode here on the board.
    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: McGahee wants to stay long term...Fletcher ready to leave?

I may be in the minority but if this is true its good news. I'd rather have Willis than London.

People have given Willis crap, but he struggled behind the same OL JP struggled behind the first part of the season. He missed basically 3 games due to injury. No one mentions this but Willis does not fumble. He is a solid back.

On the other hand Fletcher is the opposite. He puts up the numbers but they are deceiving. He is good dropping into coverage but I'd rather have a LB who can penetrate the gaps, shed some blocks and get some tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is on the downside of his career.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
      I may be in the minority but if this is true its good news. I'd rather have Willis than London.

People have given Willis crap, but he struggled behind the same OL JP struggled behind the first part of the season. He missed basically 3 games due to injury. No one mentions this but Willis does not fumble. He is a solid back.

On the other hand Fletcher is the opposite. He puts up the numbers but they are deceiving. He is good dropping into coverage but I'd rather have a LB who can penetrate the gaps, shed some blocks and get some tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is on the downside of his career.

best post I've seen in months.

Comment

• Voltron
        • Jul 2002

I would hate to lose Fletcher-Baker but if he doesn't want to be here then you don't want him to stay. I bet that Washington will offer him some long contract that will be hugly front loaded.

Willis ..... I could care less about. I miss Travis Henry ... especially after watching this last game
        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• Gunzlingr
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes

I tend to agree with this.
          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

We are not satified with the production of our running game or our rushing D.

I don't see Willis getting a long term deal here unless it's cap friendly and Fletcher is gone.

Changes should be coming. Improvement is needed in many phases of the team structure to compete for a wild card spot.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
              Fletcher Sounds Ready To Leave: London Fletcher told the media yesterday he is non commital on his future but the more he talked the more he sounded like someone ready for a fresh start elsewhere. He said he isn't leaning one way or another but made it clear this could be his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He said the Bills have to show they are serious about keeping him but it has been hard on him, not making the playoffs in his five years with the team. He also had hoped to get an extension last offseason when he hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him. The Bills have made overtures to him about a new deal but have not made a serious offer yet.
              I noticed this in LFB's postgame press conference, and mention it on this week's preview show (should be out tonight/early tomorrow). Go back and watch the postgame interviews on BuffaloBills.com. When asked if he thought the Bills had a bright future - London's body language - and his response - screemed, "I won't be here anyway" to me.

-I myself personally cannot justify giving Willis an extention after this season....he's too much of a headache and very suseptible to injury
              He's been injured a little too often for what I'd like to see, but he's played through almost any injury he's had (and even came back earlier than he probably should after the rib injury).

And how has he been a "headache?" Willis hasn't caused any waves in the Bills organization since he's been a part of it.
              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Voltron
                I would hate to lose Fletcher-Baker but if he doesn't want to be here then you don't want him to stay. I bet that Washington will offer him some long contract that will be hugly front loaded.

Willis ..... I could care less about. I miss Travis Henry ... especially after watching this last game
                If Willis was running against us last week he'd throw the Jets to the curb cuz he would have found his new *****.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

I concur with all.... I will not be overly upset if Fletcher leaves, yes he is a warrior never injured but he is not the disrupter MLB this defense needs! I would love to see Spikes move inside, it may extend his career. As far as Willis I would love to see him extended at an average price not what is below,

Aug 2004
                  LaDainian Tomlinson signed the richest contract for a running back in NFL history Saturday, a deal with the San Diego Chargers worth nearly $60 million.

The star back will get $21 million in guarantees in the eight-year deal.

Tomlinson surpasses Washington's Clinton Portis, who got $50.5 million for eight years.

The only way I see something like this happening is if it's backloaded Something like 15 million in guarantees over the first 5 years.

I would not mind seeing a surprisingly or moderatly high extention if the intention is to trade him for a need player or a second round pick!

Comment

• JPFBillsFan
                    • Jan 2006

Bye Bye Willis/London/Nate and any other ME-Player on this team....
                    2007 Buffalo Bills will be all about "TEAM".....

I can't wait......Sick of these selfish premadonna athletes....

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                      I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
                      • Jul 2005

London or Nate would get a little more attention playing in Washington, but they would'nt necessarily have a better chance at making the playoffs. How many times have the redskins made the playoffs in the last 6 years? Once?

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• Statman
                        • Oct 2003

Sounds as if Fletcher will stick around if he gets overpaid.

Willis' numbers are about identical to Antowain Smith's while he was with the Bills. He was the primary ball carrier for only one season splitting time with Thomas or Linton otherwise.

If you liked Smith, then you like Willis. Smith's best season and only season in which he was the primary ball carrier, he put up 1,124 yards on 3.7 YPC with 8 TDs.

In three seasons as the Bills primary ball carrier, and assuming nothing spectacular on Sunday against the Ravens, McGahee has averaged about exactly the same yards, 3.9 YPC, and 8 TDs.

If we pay McGahee accordingly then fine. Otherwise Antowain Smith wasn't an integral cog in the wheel of a championship caliber football team and neither is McGahee who may be the most overrated RB in the NFL at present.

Smith was taller as well meaning the McGahee is more optimally sized making his numbers even less impressive. He can't be counted on in short yardage or goal-to-go situations either. RBs like him are not difficult to come by. He's also not a character guy that Levy says he likes.

Therefore, expect the Bills to overpay to keep him around.
                        Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

• Statman
                          • Oct 2003

For all of his hype, he also doesn't have a single receiving TD in three seasons.
                          Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

• cocamide
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by JPFBillsFan
                            Bye Bye Willis/London/Nate and any other ME-Player on this team....
                            2007 Buffalo Bills will be all about "TEAM".....

I can't wait......Sick of these selfish premadonna athletes....
                            I think I have to disagree with you here. How are these players all about "Me"? Of course they want the highest contracts they can possibly get. Playing football is their job, and they won't be able to do it for 40-50 years like most of us can work our jobs. So they need to get as much now as they possibly can. It only takes one injury and they become useless. When Sunday comes, each of these guys are trying to win for the Bills. If another team is willing to pay more than the Bills are, then it's the Bills organization who let down the player, not the other way around.

Comment

• JPFBillsFan
                              • Jan 2006

Hey man I'm all for getting paid......but you know what, these guys make enough....we spend enough to watch them........and the ones who are suffering are the old players on pentions from the NFL......

These players are 100% greedy....PERIOD.......

No Top Tier FA will come to Buffalo, and I don't blame RW for not spending huge amounts on there ungrateful A$$e$.....Look at Willis...HE sat a whole year and collected a paycheck, yet he doesn't know its 4th down in the 1st game of the year......That right there is enough for me to go in another direction, but he knows that he's contract is coming up....F Him and Nate...
                              Fletcher plays hard...father time is catching up to him.....he's given us his best years, for this I am thankful and say good luck next year in Washington or where ever...

Comment

Working...
                              X