PDA

View Full Version : F YOU WILLIS/ROSENHAUS

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061228/1004494.asp

Willis McGahee has been one of the best running backs in the NFL over the past three seasons. Now his agent believes he should be paid accordingly.
Drew Rosenhaus said getting McGahee a contract extension will be "a high priority" this offseason.

GIVE ME A BREAK.... Willis is a slightly above average running back. He should not be paid like LT, LJ, Barber, Alexander etc as he is no where near that class of player.

clumping platelets
12-28-2006, 08:16 AM
:movie:

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I have no problem with what Rosenhaus said. I'd rather hear that they want an extention than hear that he wants out after next year.

Marv will do the right thing.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I have a problem with them saying he should be paid accordingly to the top backs in the NFL since he is not a top back.

Gunzlingr
12-28-2006, 08:28 AM
He is probably in the top 10 :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't think so.

Historian
12-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Let's see if Marv can steal the next Thurman Thomas in the second round next year, before we mortgage the stadium to keep McGahee.

generalmills
12-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I have a problem with them saying he should be paid accordingly to the top backs in the NFL since he is not a top back.

the guy is his agent... what do you expect him to say?? "well.. my guy is not THAT good... I'm thinking we should get slightly above average on his contract numbers"
its his job.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:39 AM
No Particular order my list of guys that are better than Willis.
1)LT
2)LJ
3)Willie Parker
4)Westbrook
5)Barber
6)Alexander
7)Rudi Johnson
8)Gore
9)Stephen Jackson
10)Travis Henry

I would probably also take these guys over Willis too.
Thomas jones
Fred Taylor
Jones Drew
Reggie Bush
Maroney

Guys that are at least equal
Edge
Chester Taylor
Tatum Bell
Addai
Ronnie Brown
Duece Mcallister
Julius Jones
Marion Barber

Point is that Willis is a decent back but nothing special. I would keep him at the average salaries of the second tier of Running backs. If they try any of this top backs in the game crap get rid of him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
the guy is his agent... what do you expect him to say?? "well.. my guy is not THAT good... I'm thinking we should get slightly above average on his contract numbers"
its his job.
Yes that is what he should do. Rosenhaus's constant grandstanding makes me sick to my stomach.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Travis Henry is not a top 10 back. Willis might not be either, but I think he is better than Henry, who I have always felt was over-rated by Bills fans.

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Yes that is what he should do. Rosenhaus's constant grandstanding makes me sick to my stomach.
It is just grandstanding.

Marv will take care of this behind closed doors. Don't worry.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Maybe he will use the approach Polian did with Argovitz.

Romes
12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
How is it Willis' fault if his agent says he is a top back?

I know willis has said it before but this past year it seems like he has said the right things :idunno:

We have greater problems then RB. I just hope he doesn't go to a holdout. If that happens then I'll have issues with Willis.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Travis Henry is not a top 10 back. Willis might not be either, but I think he is better than Henry, who I have always felt was over-rated by Bills fans.
Fine sub in Fred Taylor for the 10th spot.

T Hen is certainly better than willis this year. Exact same amount of carries

249 1109 4.5 7 TDs

To Willis

248 967 3.9 6tds

Henry Runs much harder. I thought Willis "WOULD" be better than Henry 3 years ago just like everyone else. We were wrong IMO.

RedEyE
12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Rosenhaus is just aiming high. We all expected this to happen and it shouldn't come as a shock to any of us. McGahee will be paid accordingly and that's that. We already know that the Bills generally won't and can't afford to over play for players, and RBs are a dime a dozen.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Stats do not tell the enitre story, imo.

There are other factors Thurm. O-line play, blocking ability (Willis is much improved, while Henry is horrible), receiving ability, etc.

Novacane
12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
He's gonna say that kind of stuff in public but he is not an idiot. If Marv wants him and offers him a fair contract he will probably sign it. Rosenhaus knows no other team is gonna throw top 5 money at Mcgahee. He's above average but not great and those kind of backs are not hard to find in the draft.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:53 AM
It is just grandstanding.

Marv will take care of this behind closed doors. Don't worry.
Agreed but I was giving them an F YOU anyways that is all.

Romes
12-28-2006, 08:56 AM
No Particular order my list of guys that are better than Willis.
1)LT
2)LJ
3)Willie Parker
4)Westbrook
5)Barber
6)Alexander
7)Rudi Johnson
8)Gore
9)Stephen Jackson
10)Travis Henry

I would probably also take these guys over Willis too.
Thomas jones
Fred Taylor
Jones Drew
Reggie Bush
Maroney

Guys that are at least equal
Edge
Chester Taylor
Tatum Bell
Addai
Ronnie Brown
Duece Mcallister
Julius Jones
Marion Barber

Point is that Willis is a decent back but nothing special. I would keep him at the average salaries of the second tier of Running backs. If they try any of this top backs in the game crap get rid of him.

This is exactly why Willis won't get a massive contract. Who is gonna bid him up when so many teams are set at the position?

Willis is better off accepting a fair contract from the Bills I'd say in the range of $4-6 Mill a year. Considering Edge got $30 mil for 4 years.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:56 AM

There are other factors Thurm. O-line play, blocking ability (Willis is much improved, while Henry is horrible), receiving ability, etc.
Right Tenn doesn't have a great line either.

Willis doesn't blow me away as a receiver that is for sure....

Stats don't tell the entire story. Willis dances around at the line and T Hen hits the hole like a Mac truck.

Neither are much of a receiver
Willis
18 for 156
T Hen
17 for 75

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 08:57 AM
This is exactly why Willis won't get a massive contract. Who is gonna bid him up when so many teams are set at the position?

Willis is better off accepting a fair contract from the Bills I'd say in the range of $4-6 Mill a year. Considering Edge got $30 mil for 4 years.
I would be totally fine with this. That would be a fair deal.

HHURRICANE
12-28-2006, 09:02 AM
He is probably in the top 10 :idunno:

23rd in the league. Four behind Michael Vick, now that's sad!!

Ebenezer
12-28-2006, 09:02 AM
:bigwave: Willis...don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Agreed but I was giving them an F YOU anyways that is all.
OK.

I'm always up for a FU Drew Rosenhaus.

Nuff Said!!

HHURRICANE
12-28-2006, 09:07 AM
:bigwave: Willis...don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

I'm with you!! We can get the same numbers out of a rookie for the league minimum. Seriously, people need to look at the numbers.

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Marv can easilly cut a deal that is good for both sides, upping Willis' pay for next year, giving him a decent signing bonus that is spread over a few years, that is also cap friendly for the Bills.

alohabillsfan
12-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Romes

I would be totally fine with this. That would be a fair deal.

NO ****** Way is he worth that! 2 mil per year that's it! 5 million per year at the 109 mil salary cap is 4.58% of the overall cap for an aveage player, if he gets that what does Lee Evans and JP get?

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Maybe we can ship him to Dallas for one of thier backs.

JPFBillsFan
12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I'd be willing to move Willis for a 2nd or 3rd rder and then go after THenry....
Yup i said THENRY

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Willis, one of the best RB's in the league? hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahaah

Let his dumbass walk.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 10:06 AM
When you have Rosenass talking. it means he's trying to lobby for his client who is underperforming. He always stated you make your contract on the field. Since he's talking already and there's still one game yet , he's nervous because his client hasn't done squat. Screw him.

Anyone here remember when the last time Willis carried the entire team on his shoulders to win a game? Maybe arguably one game. Pay him like a workhorse. Not a thoroughbred race horse.

Like EE said, MArv will do the right thing.

Meathead
12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
note to self: never hire thurm to negotiate contracts

i concur that the expression from the wm camp to re-sign is a great sign and puts marv in a relatively nice position going into the offseason

alohabillsfan
12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Meathead]note to self: never hire thurm to negotiate contracts

You mean for the Bills right? Cause he can negotiate mine!

OpIv37
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Willis is under contract for another year, so he can't get offers from other teams. Don't pay him this year. If it looks like he's going to hold out, re-sign A-Train and draft an RB on Day one (not first round though).

Why? No one is going to give Willis a "Top 10" RB contract based on how he's been performing so far, especially if he sits a year (and it sounds like Rosenass knows it by the way he's publicly lobbying). Willis will only screw himself by holding out.

So he can either play out his contract or he can mortgage his future for the big offer that isn't there. The ball's in his court.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Willis is under contract for another year, so he can't get offers from other teams. Don't pay him this year. If it looks like he's going to hold out, re-sign A-Train and draft an RB on Day one (not first round though).

Why? No one is going to give Willis a "Top 10" RB contract based on how he's been performing so far, especially if he sits a year (and it sounds like Rosenass knows it by the way he's publicly lobbying). Willis will only screw himself by holding out.

So he can either play out his contract or he can mortgage his future for the big offer that isn't there. The ball's in his court.
I agree. Willis has never shown the consistent heart and desire that define the really elite backs in this league. At this point, I wouldn't even contemplate giving him a lucrative long term contract.

He has shown nothing - so far - that would lead me to believe he can help take us to the next level.

Saratoga Slim
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM

You're right....if we're not that interested in keeping him here. On the other hand, if we do want to keep him long-term, now is the time to lock him up, as he's under contract, and there is accordingly no market for his services other than what we're willing to offer. If OBD does see him as our featured back, they're going to have a much better chance of keeping him here for a reasonable price if they don't wait until he becomes a free agent next year.

Romes
12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
You're right....if we're not that interested in keeping him here. On the other hand, if we do want to keep him long-term, now is the time to lock him up, as he's under contract, and there is accordingly no market for his services other than what we're willing to offer. If OBD does see him as our featured back, they're going to have a much better chance of keeping him here for a reasonable price if they don't wait until he becomes a free agent next year.

Exactly, buy low.

I don't know what Rosenhaus is talking about. But now is the time to lock willis up for relativley cheap, if the Bills intend to keep him around.

Earthquake Enyart
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
An extention is the best chance for a win-win for both sides.

OpIv37
12-28-2006, 11:23 AM

If we can get him for the right price, that's fine. If he wants to be paid like a top 10 RB, no deal- he isn't a top 10 RB.

alohabillsfan
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Sign him for modest contract... if contract has roster bonus in lieu of signing bonus expect a trade... Trade him to green bay for a swap of first rounders and grab Lynch from Cal.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
My question is this: Can we really progress over the next 3 or 4 years with just an average running back, which Willis seems to be. JP and Evans seem to be emerging stars, but I don't see the same upside with Willis.

Tatonka
12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
jan.. i guess you can say that antwain smith was a superbowl RB for the pats..

but it does seem that it would be alot easier to win with LT in the backfield.

User Manuel
12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Before we go chucking Willis overboard I think we need to consider a few things.

1) He has developed into a tremendous blocker in pass protection.

2) He has shown the ability to catch the ball.

3) His production improved when the o-line improved.

4) We played a heck of a tough schedule and were offensively non-existant for half a season.

5) He actually started to show some big play ability along with the rest of the offense.

He ain't LT but he is a quality big back and, unless his demands are outrageous, I think we should give him a three year extension. Unless an Adrian Peterson or Darius Walker lands in our lap, not likely, we aren't going to do better for less.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I will ask the same question that I asked in another thread:

Assuming that Willis gets his yardage this weekend, how many backs have gained 1,000 yards each year for the past three years?

odin
12-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Unless we can get a better guy, sign him now before we upgrade the offensive line and has a monster year.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I will ask the same question that I asked in another thread:

Assuming that Willis gets his yardage this weekend, how many backs have gained 1,000 yards each year for the past three years?In the last couple of years the AFCE was nothing special. Even the Pats had issues stopping the run. It wasn't hard for anyone to get 1000 yards in this div. the last couple of years.

Like I said, Almost anyone can get 1000 yards these days. That's average.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/regular

IAG
12-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Rosenhaus is going to eat up Marv.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Before we go chucking Willis overboard I think we need to consider a few things.

1) He has developed into a tremendous blocker in pass protection.

2) He has shown the ability to catch the ball.

3) His production improved when the o-line improved.

4) We played a heck of a tough schedule and were offensively non-existant for half a season.

5) He actually started to show some big play ability along with the rest of the offense.

He ain't LT but he is a quality big back and, unless his demands are outrageous, I think we should give him a three year extension. Unless an Adrian Peterson or Darius Walker lands in our lap, not likely, we aren't going to do better for less.
1. Tremendous blocker? Try very average.

2. Ability to catch the ball? 18 for 156. Not so much

3. Production improved? One 100 yard rushing game and it came against the Jets

4. The Offense was non-existant mostly due to McGahee's inability to carry the stone.

5. Big play ability? One big play against the Jets. I cant think of another.

6. If he's a big back then he needs to start hitting the holes and quit dancing.

As of right now if he demands anything he can walk IMO.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Rosenhaus is going to eat up Marv.
No Marv will eat up Rosenhaus.

The_Philster
12-28-2006, 03:31 PM
If we intend to keep him here, I'd rather get it taken care of now instead of after next season...especially if he picks it up next season...he'll command a lot more money if that happens

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
With what Willis has shown on the field, we can be competitive and make playoffs. However, winning the SB is the goal . We shall see what he can do this Sunday against a sb D .

John Doe
12-28-2006, 03:46 PM
In the last couple of years the AFCE was nothing special. Even the Pats had issues stopping the run. It wasn't hard for anyone to get 1000 yards in this div. the last couple of years.

Like I said, Almost anyone can get 1000 yards these days. That's average.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/regular

If it's so easy, then how come only a handful have done it for three consecutive years?

X-Era
12-28-2006, 03:51 PM

Willis McGahee has been one of the best running backs in the NFL over the past three seasons. Now his agent believes he should be paid accordingly.
Drew Rosenhaus said getting McGahee a contract extension will be "a high priority" this offseason.

GIVE ME A BREAK.... Willis is a slightly above average running back. He should not be paid like LT, LJ, Barber, Alexander etc as he is no where near that class of player.

What a suprise. Its time for a new direction at that spot, can you say the draft?

Saratoga Slim
12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
If we can get him for the right price, that's fine. If he wants to be paid like a top 10 RB, no deal- he isn't a top 10 RB.

I agree that we shouldn't overpay. He doesn't deserve top-5 back money. But I think you can make a pretty strong case that he deserves a salary commensurate to somewhere between the top 8-12 backs. that would be reasonable in my book.

Saratoga Slim
12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Tell you what: it is really annoying that Willis is already offering quotes about his contract renegotiation.

Most players are smart enough to say something like "we'll work that out in the offseason, right now I'm focused on Baltimore." Just another example of how Willis is a terrible PR machine for himself. Shut up Willis, you idiot. But it does give a glance into the guy's priorities.

Op, I'm sticking to my guns that he's a top 8-12 back and deserves money somewhere in that area, but I sincerely appreciate your lack of enthusiasm for the guy. I doubt if Marv is all that crazy about him either. Much of my interest in keeping him is that I think we can win with him and I don't want to see us have to blow a high draft pick or big FA money to replace him when we have other pressing needs that can't be ignored.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
If it's so easy, then how come only a handful have done it for three consecutive years?
a handful? More than a handful have better nos. than him this year. Did you look at the link and see who in company with? Mediocre rb's. Even Jones+drew is not far even though he's had way less carries because he's sharing snaps with taylor who's way ahead of Willis.

Willis is average.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
John Doe put it this way. You know how easy it is to rush for a thousand? MIKE VICK, A QB DID IT!

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:29 PM
a handful? More than a handful have better nos. than him this year. Did you look at the link and see who in company with? Mediocre rb's. Even Jones+drew is not far even though he's had way less carries because he's sharing snaps with taylor who's way ahead of Willis.

Willis is average.

He is one of the few backs to gain 1,000 yards for each of the past 3 seasons, assuming he gains 40 this Sunday.

If that is so easy, then why aren't there more backs doing it?

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
He is one of the few backs to gain 1,000 yards for the past 3 seasons, assuming he gains 40 this Sunday.

If that is so easy, then why aren't there more backs doing it?
Wasn't there a list somewhere of those who's made it.

I don't have time right now but I will try and pull some names of those rb's that have stayed with the same team for 3 years and compare.

You are also looking at one aspect, why haven't you looked at the list and said anything about where he's nos. are ranked at? Besides, his nos. are regressing instead of getting better. You also failed to mention his inconsistency every game.

A lot of those 1000 yds nos. are against the jets. What about the rest of the teams? I'd say keep him if we play the jets 4 times in the playoffs.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Wasn't there a list somewhere of those who's made it.

I don't have time right now but I will try and pull some names of those rb's that have stayed with the same team for 3 years and compare.

You are also looking at one aspect, why haven't you looked at the list and said anything about where he's nos. are ranked at? Besides, his nos. are regressing instead of getting better. You also failed to mention his inconsistency every game.

A lot of those 1000 yds nos. are against the jets. What about the rest of the teams? I'd say keep him if we play the jets 4 times in the playoffs.

Willis gained a lot of yards against what is probably a playoff team.

Why would anyone have a problem with that?

SABURZFAN
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM

i agree.take losman and v.young for example...... :up:

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Willis gained a lot of yards against what is probably a playoff team.

Why would anyone have a problem with that?
A playoffs team because of their run D or because of their O? They are ranked 25th against the run.

The lions are not a playoffs team. He ran for 66 yds.

Do you not see the inconsistency?

If Willis was a sure thing, we wouldn't have this discussion in the first place.The fact that we're debating Willismeans he is a question mark.

John Doe
12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
A playoffs team because of their run D or because of their O? They are ranked 25th against the run.

The lions are not a playoffs team. He ran for 66 yds.

Do you not see the inconsistency?

If Willis was a sure thing, we wouldn't have this discussion in the first place.The fact that we're debating Willismeans he is a question mark.

Willis is not going to get 100 yards every game.

This was an off-year for Willis - I was disappointed in it too. Other top backs have off-years too - that is why it is difficult to string three 1,000 yard seasons together.

It looks like Willis will have a 1,000 yard season for the third year in a row despite having a lot of injuries. There are not a lot of backs that could do that.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I feel sorry for Marv, that he has to even deal with this idiot Rosenhaus

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
I hate to say I told you so, but....this was as certain as the sun rising in the east and I said this was going to happen back in the offseason. His plan was always to get healthy, put up some numbers, and get traded to a big market, warm weather team.

He and Rosendouche played the Bills like a fool.

Good riddance.