PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Freeney

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I am beginning to believe the Colts will franchise tag Cato June instead of Dwight Freeney. This run defense that the Colts have is pathetic and by letting June go it will only get worse, by letting Freeney walk after this sub-par season you could still find a replacement Leonard Little, Bryan Thomas, Justin Smith, Chris Kelsay, or Kabeer Gbaja Biamila. Do you think if Freeney were to walk free Marv would spend the money that he could've spent on Kelsay or Clements to give us the best two DE's that any team has in the NFL? Maybe then it will show other FAs that we want to win and we are willing to do whatever to win and maybe some more FAs will want to come to the Bills.

Just a thought people....what do you think?

Mudflap1
12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
It would be nice! Remember though, it's not about Marv... this is about Ralph willing to shell out the signing bonus money. We have the cap room, so Marv can hypothetically offer some decent contracts. However, all of these guys want their up front signing bonus money, and while that is prorated over the length of the contract, Ralph has to pony up that money now. I'm not sure Ralph is willing to pay someone a $10 million, $15 million, or $20 million signing bonus. Paying someone a $2 million signing bonus with a 4 year deal paying them approximately $2 mill per seems like it's about Ralph's speed right now.

Jon

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
It would be nice! Remember though, it's not about Marv... this is about Ralph willing to shell out the signing bonus money. We have the cap room, so Marv can hypothetically offer some decent contracts. However, all of these guys want their up front signing bonus money, and while that is prorated over the length of the contract, Ralph has to pony up that money now. I'm not sure Ralph is willing to pay someone a $10 million, $15 million, or $20 million signing bonus. Paying someone a $2 million signing bonus with a 4 year deal paying them approximately $2 mill per seems like it's about Ralph's speed right now.

Jon
so then can you tell me why Ralph wanted to be an owner in the NFL? doesnt he want to win?

Mudflap1
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
so then can you tell me why Ralph wanted to be an owner in the NFL? doesnt he want to win?

He's cheap, what do you want from me? He's in a small market (that can't sell out home games anymore by the way), and his track record hasn't been to go after the best-of-the-best free agents. I'm with you, I say you gotta go for it, get a guy like Freeney, get a guy like Steinbach, let's not mess around with marginal players anymore. Time to stock up on some real beef on the offensive and defensive lines, then fill in the blanks elsewhere.

Jon

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Both Kelsay and Denney have the same nos. as Freeney as it is. Just like our DE's , he's a victim of Teams running up the middle and taking him out of a play. If we do not adress the middle and take him, he'll just end up a more expensive DE who can only manage the same nos. as what we already have.

Fix the MIDDLE. Freeney is not gonna stop the run.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Freeney is good but he would give us two undersized ends. I would rather get Smith at half the cost.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I would take Freeney in a heartbeat if we fixed our problems at DT and LB. He is an extraordinary pass rusher, but we need to stop the run before we start dreaming of a 30 sack DE tandem.

Lexwhat
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Both Kelsay and Denney have the same nos. as Freeney as it is. Just like our DE's , he's a victim of Teams running up the middle and taking him out of a play. If we do not adress the middle and take him, he'll just end up a more expensive DE who can only manage the same nos. as what we already have.

Justa, don't you think that Freeney would be a great fit in our system? And the good thing about Freeney is he would be frequently double-teamed, which will automatically make things easier for our DTs.

Now, we STILL need to fix the middle - that's for sure. But IMO, Schoebel is a better player than Robert Mathis is. The only question would be where would we put Freeney if we acquired him - the left side or the right side.

I DONT think its a dream to land Freeney. I think it is definetly possible since he comes from the same system and, regardless of the bad season, is still an incredible pass rusher.

I like Kelsey/Denney, but let's be serious man. Do you think teams game-plan for those 2 players? Not really, not like Freeney... So why make comparisons about stats with them and Freeney? Moreover, Freeney plays well in big games.

I like Kelsey, but I would be in favor of letting him go and using that money to help pay for Freeney's fat contract.

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Justa, don't you think that Freeney would be a great fit in our system? And the good thing about Freeney is he would be frequently double-teamed, which will automatically make things easier for our DTs.

Now, we STILL need to fix the middle - that's for sure. But IMO, Schoebel is a better player than Robert Mathis is. The only question would be where would we put Freeney if we acquired him - the left side or the right side.

I DONT think its a dream to land Freeney. I think it is definetly possible since he comes from the same system and, regardless of the bad season, is still an incredible pass rusher.

I like Kelsey/Denney, but let's be serious man. Do you think teams game-plan for those 2 players? Not really, not like Freeney... So why make comparisons about stats with them and Freeney? Moreover, Freeney plays well in big games.

I like Kelsey, but I would be in favor of letting him go and using that money to help pay for Freeney's fat contract.

I would love Freeney but he alone won't fix the run game plus we need to find Clements' replacement. IMO , he's a luxury at this point in time when there are bigger issues than the DE.

IMO with the DE's we have, we would've made the playoffs if we could stop the run. We could've made playoffs if we could run the ball better. Those 2 are the things that needs to be addressed first before we can afford a luxurious Freeney.

I would rather spend the $$ on running and stopping the run. I guarantee you, if teams cannot run up the middle, our DE's will make ore plays.

Tatonka
12-28-2006, 11:39 AM
freeney is as much a reason that the colts rush defense sucks balls as anyone..

no thanks on him.. i would be much happier with keeping the 4 ends we have and not over paying freeney, and then using that money to fix the obvious needs.

pass rush is NOT an obvious need for us.

gr8slayer
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
How is Freeney going to fix our run problems?

Tatonka
12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
he is not.. that is the point and the reason that you wont see him brought in.

Lexwhat
12-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I would love Freeney but he alone won't fix the run game plus we need to find Clements' replacement. IMO , he's a luxury at this point in time when there are bigger issues than the DE.

IMO with the DE's we have, we would've made the playoffs if we could stop the run. We could've made playoffs if we could run the ball better. Those 2 are the things that needs to be addressed first before we can afford a luxurious Freeney.

I would rather spend the $$ on running and stopping the run. I guarantee you, if teams cannot run up the middle, our DE's will make ore plays.

I don't really think that money is even the issue here. Especially if we don't re-sign Fletcher (since he may want to leave), signing Freeney will be a breeze with plenty left over for other needs like DT and CB.

My point was that Freeney WILL help to stop the run. If Freeney and Schoebel are on both ends, teams will probally double-team Freeney, opening things up for the other players...

justasportsfan
12-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Lexwhat let's not forget that our DE's have performed admirably in their first year in a new system and new coaches. I can only expect them to get better especially since they are at the right age.

A stud DT will as well command double team and take up blockers if not he will be able to penetrate up the middle and force teams to run outside towards our DE's or free up our Lb's.

IMO money is an issue since we have competition in FA'cy especially in the same areas of our need. The colts will be looking for a stud DT. Teams will need OL help as well. Remember Pickett said we offered him the SAME contract Greenbay offered him but he decided to play in GB for the same $$. If we offered him more he probably would've decided to come here. Not saying he's anything great but if there's a STUD DT out there, we may miss out again under the same circumstance.

Forward_Lateral
12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
No thanks. This team has much bigger needs than another DE.

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
No thanks. This team has much bigger needs than another DE.you dont always sign what you need but what will make us a better team

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
If we get stronger up the middle Kelsay, if he comes back, and Denney will improve in the sack department. I'll pass on Freeney. We is a great player but we will end up with two highpriced exceptional passrushers who can't stop the run rather than just the one we have.

mchurchfie
12-28-2006, 12:26 PM
you dont always sign what you need
Just ask Donahoe.;)

MikeInRoch
12-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Amen.

Historian
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Thank you!

(Not that I have anything against Freeney, but we have more pressing needs.)

X-Era
12-28-2006, 04:00 PM

Jon

Thats exactly it! Nice post.

I really feel crappy about us right now. Ralph is complaining about us losing the Bills, Willis wants his new contract, London is basically demanding good money to stay, Nate is gone, and we have NO reason to believe we will pay big bucks to replace any of them!

Ugghhhh! June OR Freeney is gonna walk and either would be an assett on the Bills since they run the same scheme.

Problem is the Bills arent gonna do crap in FA because of the revenue sharing garbage, and their cheapo approach.

If I were JP, Id take some drugs and get sleep because theres no need to worry about a team that wont do ANYTHING tangible in the offseason to get better, but instead will get worse!

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I would rather have a DE that can stop the run..

clumping platelets
12-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Instead of big money for a Dwight Freeney, just give it to Nate Clements........