PDA

View Full Version : Hey CBA/Cap Guys...

bills_phan
03-04-2003, 08:16 PM
If Spikes signs an offer sheet with the Bills and the Bengals decide to match it, is that it? Is he then bound to the Bengals for the length of that contract or can Buffalo bid again?

kgun12
03-04-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm not a "cap guy" but to answer your question. Yes that is it, the bengals are obligated to sign him.

bills_phan
03-04-2003, 08:25 PM
It seems to make more sense to wait for him to come free then, doesn't it...

BillC
03-04-2003, 08:29 PM
The Idea would be to make a deal that the Bengals can't match-

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 08:31 PM
But other teams can try to beat our offer too though, right?

bills_phan
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
What other buyers will be left once they lift the tag though?

kgun12
03-04-2003, 08:36 PM
No, the first offer that Spikes takes back to the Bengals that's it. The Bengals can't call another team and say this is what the Bills offered can you beat it. Spikes for his part can say to the Bills, I would like to go back to the hotel and think it over and call another team and say this is the Bills offer, BUT if he signs the contract than he has to bring the BIlls offer back to the Bengals. Does that make sense?

Dozerdog
03-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Good job, KGun!

Tatonka
03-05-2003, 12:03 AM
takeo can still hold out.. he can sign the deal.. then if the bengals match.. he can say... ok.. i will sit till you release me... then i will go to buffalo

kgun12
03-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Good job, KGun!

THANKS Dozer.

Tatonka, This one I'm not sure of. If spikes turns down the offer from Cincy, than I think he has to paly for the transition price for one year or sit out. At that point I think it falls back to the Bengals to either let him sit out, release him from the tag or increase the offer.

Clump or Eb will have to help with this part.

clumping platelets
03-05-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
No, the first offer that Spikes takes back to the Bengals that's it. The Bengals can't call another team and say this is what the Bills offered can you beat it. Spikes for his part can say to the Bills, I would like to go back to the hotel and think it over and call another team and say this is the Bills offer, BUT if he signs the contract than he has to bring the BIlls offer back to the Bengals. Does that make sense?

This is correct. If Bengals match, Spikes MUST play for the bengals........he cannot hold out