PDA

View Full Version : Coach Jauron's thoughts on Willis..

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2006, 02:37 AM
"I think it is rare. I think he is a rare guy. He is very, very tough. Clearly we know that any running back, really any player in this league, is a very tough guy. I think Willis is above and beyond that. He loves to compete. He really does enjoy playing the game. He doesn't mind preparing. He's not a guy that shirks work in practice or the offseason or any of that. The personality of the guy is infectious. He is a good guy. I like being around him. He's very tough. He is talented, obviously, and he's got good size. Once again, this will be an incredible test for all of us. In terms of players that are similar, I've been fortunate to be around what I think are some tremendous football players, in my career more on the defensive side than the offensive side, but he certainly ranks near the top in terms of his desire and toughness."

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=15722

Good read, why do so many hate on the guy?

The_Philster
12-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Good read, why do so many hate on the guy?because he didn't show up for most of the offseason workouts

Historian
12-31-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't think anyone hates him per se...

They hate that Donahoe stuck his neck out for him, despite the fact that the team had other needs, and that he really is nothing special.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-31-2006, 07:43 AM
I dont see any of this in willis.

BuffaloBillsStampede
12-31-2006, 08:21 AM
He didn't mention that he does the tango in the backfield while the opposing D-Line come at him.

SABURZFAN
12-31-2006, 09:48 AM
haters....... :down:

justasportsfan
12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Time to audition against the bet D in the league.

I don't hate Wilis but I wish he was consistently a big play threat. I want teams to say "watch out for Willis. Don't give him an inch or he'll burn you." That's what's being said about Evans, not Willis.

kernowboy
12-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Hate is the wrong word. McGahee has consistently behaved in a manner suggesting he cannot wait to get out of Buffalo. A hold out in the offseason will just add to this. We therefore have to make a decision

a) trade him now, draft a replacement with the pick
b) trade him now, sign a Free Agent and look to draft a replacement in the 2008 draft like Steve Slaton
c) let him play 2007, tag him with the transition or franchise, hope someone signs him or settle for a 2008 season of bitterness and recrimination
d) at the end of the 2007 season let him walk for nothing.

I personally favour option b). A-Train can carry part of the load and we can sign someone like TJ Duckett. If we can get a R2 pick in 2008 for him, then we can use our R1 and 2x R2 to move on Day1 in the 2008 draft for Slaton. Outside of Peterson, there is Lynch and Bush and ..... the Running back class of 2008 is looking much better and deeper

justasportsfan
12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Hate is the wrong word. McGahee has consistently behaved in a manner suggesting he cannot wait to get out of Buffalo. A hold out in the offseason will just add to this. We therefore have to make a decision

b) trade him now, sign a Free Agent and look to draft a replacement in the 2008 draft like Steve Slaton
c) let him play 2007, tag him with the transition or franchise, hope someone signs him or settle for a 2008 season of bitterness and recrimination

I personally favour option b). A-Train can carry part of the load and we can sign someone like TJ Duckett. If we can get a R2 pick in 2008 for him, then we can use our R1 and 2x R2 to move on Day1 in the 2008 draft for Slaton. Outside of Peterson, there is Lynch and Bush and ..... the Running back class of 2008 is looking much better and deeper
what do you think we can get for him in a trade?

I doubt the bills have the luxury of waiting til' 2008 to draft a rb who may or may not pan out. IMO, we take a risk in next years draft.

Philagape
12-31-2006, 12:04 PM
All I know is he has had very few big games this year, and he's averaging 3.9 yards a carry (30th in the league). Blame that on the line if you want, but he very rarely makes something happen on his own if the line doesn't open big holes for him. Most of the time, I see him stop and stutter and stall. And in that respect, he is no better than dozens of other running backs.

Is that hate? I backed up my assertions with relevant facts.

Typ0
12-31-2006, 12:56 PM

what has he done that indicates he doesn't want to be here? When he showed up for camp this season he was in the best condition he's ever been in for being an NFL running back. He's been playing hurt. What more do you want from the guy? Now he wants a contract. Well IMO a long term deal with WM is probably a win-win situation. Give him a raise. Revenues are going up and the cap is going up...that system is designed to get the $$ in the hands of the players. If we pay him now and sign him to a five year deal he'll be making good money next year but it years 4 and 5 it won't be as much. He's got to get better in a few areas. I have seen his blocking getting better. He's got to be a better receiver and hit the holes harder. I see that he wants to work to improve. Keep this guy on the team you guys who are bashing him just want too much.

Typ0
12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
what do you think we can get for him in a trade?

Very little.

JJamezz
12-31-2006, 01:14 PM
What has he done that indicates he doesn't want to be here?

Exactly.. I'd love to hear about that too..

People love to throw that argument around, but I have yet to see any evidence to back it up.

The real concern should be regarding his play. The guy was a beast that first year, when he was rolling off 100 yd. games seemingly every week - so we know he's capable of it, and sufficiently healed from the injury. The question is why has he regressed?

HHURRICANE
12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=15722

Good read, why do so many hate on the guy?

Jauron is doing a Rosenhaus!! Getting him some good press so he can force and unfair trade so we can get some real talent in here!!

kernowboy
12-31-2006, 02:45 PM
We would get at least Travis Henry value maybe better. So a R3 or maybe even a R2 in 2008. There will be teams who will deal now to pay later.

Exactly what has McGahee done to justify a large contract? Why does he miss all of the voluntary preseason meet ups - its an attitude problem and lack of commitment. And with Rosenhaus as his coach, he'll want a huge contract. I note there are some players finally trying to make an effort around negotiation time.

We only play the Jets twice a season !!!

HHURRICANE
12-31-2006, 03:03 PM
We only play the Jets twice a season !!!

Anything you want to know about McGahee just got summed up in that statement!!