X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Bills' offense dominated by Ravens; owner wants changes

The Buffalo Bills closed out their 2006 season on a sour note Sunday, losing 19-7 in Baltimore. Buffalo's defense, which had been much maligned entering the game, stymied the 13-3 Ravens' offense, holding Steve McNair and Co. to just 12 points on four field goals. Offensively, though, it was an all-out disaster for the Bills, who finished the year 7-9. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills' offense dominated by Ravens; owner wants changes

I blame the offense for the whole season turning out like crap. This team could easily of been 11-5,12-4, 13-3.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Although there are a few bright spots to look back on, the offense did pretty much suck most of the year. I think 12 or 13 wins is a stretch, TD, but 10 or 11 certainly wasn't out of the question IMO.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jmb1099
        • Sep 2004

Blamming the offense for the the whole season is narrow minded. Yes they share in the blame (and if you read the article Wilson blamed the line), but the defense has also blown its fair share of games this year.
        Besides TD, shouldn't you be eating a bit of crow at this point? You said Losman was fragile and would't make it a full season because he's injury prone and fragile. You said Evans would have a terrible year and would be frustrated at his production because of Losman, in fact didn't I just see a thread somewhere about a bet you had made and lost about Evans production?

Comment

• jmb1099
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
          Although there are a few bright spots to look back on, the offense did pretty much suck most of the year. I think 12 or 13 wins is a stretch, TD, but 10 or 11 certainly wasn't out of the question IMO.
          Could of had ten wins. I can think of at least three games that the defense cost us and I'm sure you can bring to mind as many for the offense. Going into the season many predicted we would have a season of growth with bright spots and frustration and it seems to me that's exactly what we got.
          For the record a majority of the qb's playing the Ravens d have laid eggs this year, those with decent running games were able to at least make a game of it. WM, for whatever reason, didn't have a good day.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Of course there are flaws that need to be addressed on both sides of the ball and the final record isn't a reflection of the offense only, but...

I can think of several games where the defense was pretty much the impetus for a victory (or a close loss) and bailed out the offense when they didn't show up, but can't think of a single one where the offense stepped up and bailed out the defense when they didn't show.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

maybe I got the abridged version...all I read in that article was:

"We've gotta get some offensive line help," Wilson -- who praised Losman's toughness -- told media members in the locker room following the game.

The OL needs help...duh...I think I'll wait until I hear more of what RW said...I don't think he is calling for "major" changes.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• jmb1099
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                Of course there are flaws that need to be addressed on both sides of the ball and the final record isn't a reflection of the offense only, but...

I can think of several games where the defense was pretty much the impetus for a victory (or a close loss) and bailed out the offense when they didn't show up, but can't think of a single one where the offense stepped up and bailed out the defense when they didn't show.
                You hit the nail on the head when you said the record isn't a reflection of the offense only.
                As far as the defense being an impetus for a victory I can think of a few times as well, but of the seven wins we have this year, a majority of them are from offensive production (points). Now I will give you that special teams and defense put the offense in a position to capitalize, but that is what is supposed to happen. I can think of a few key games that the defense was also the reason for defeat (colts, titans, etc)
                It would be foolish to argue that the offense doesn't need to improve, it does and did after the bye, but the reason we didn't reach the 10-11 wins you talked about can be chalked up to both sides of the ball.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

This is the story of our season:

27th in rushing offense.

27th in rushing defense.

Football 101.

And before anyone says "28th in passing," the reason for that is few attempts. We were 11th in YPA. You'll find the same does not hold true for the running game.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Well if Ralph says the O-line needs help, guess where the Bills are going to look in FA. Cool. That and a run-stopping DT, and the Bills are much-improved. If they can get a legit #2 WR and a real TE (I want one with speed and hands, that can cause matchup problems), the Bills are a legit SB contender. Oh and keep Clements.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

The run defense rarely showed anything all year. The offense did struggle yesterday but they at least showed great improvement in the second half of the year compared to the first half.
                      We definitely could use a better number 2 receiver. WM is not a franchise RB. He is average at best. I agree that we need to improve the horses up front. I am sure the Bills will have at least 2 new starters on the OL next year.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

(Speaking of the whole season) When it truly mattered, they weren't good enough at the point of attack. They couldn't run the ball effectively in crucial situations and they couldn't stop the run with the game on the line.

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                          This is the story of our season:

27th in rushing offense.

27th in rushing defense.
                          This is the real story of the season.....

Total Offense 30th

First downs 31st

3rd Down % 31st

Passing yards 28th

Time of Poss. 30th

Plays ran 32nd

PPG 23rd

Passing Yard Per game 28th

sack yards lost 28th

Fumbles Lost 28th

Needless to say, if the offense could have done more with the ball the defesne wouldn't have been on the field so long.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

If the defense could stop the run, the ball would have been given-back to the offense more. As was posted above, the Bills run game and defense were crap. Those were the reasons for the poor season.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                              • Feb 2005

Prepare the banners to welcome Eric Steinbach to Buffalo.
                              Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 01-01-2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X