PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ingtar

Devin
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Since youre one of the few posters with any amount of credibility when it comes to football knowledge I was curious what you thought about JP.

What I mean is, knowing what you knew pre-draft, seeing what you saw in 2005 and now 2006......what do you think the future holds for young JP?

What type of QB do you think he will develop into?

clumping platelets
01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
:movie:

Ingtar33
01-01-2007, 11:35 PM
wow. Well i can break down what i saw in college, and what i've seen the last two years.

In college I had little respect for him as a pro prospect. He did play behind a terrible o-line, and with a terrible surrounding cast. He also put up solid numbers. What i saw in college from him was terrible technique form the waist down. He got away with a lot of bad passes caused by poor footwork, as well as a few "push" passes (no extension, resulting in a more of a "pushed" throw). He also showed little ability to read a defense quickly, and tended to take too long on play recognition.

Now, footwork can be fixed, his arm alone put him into the 2nd round in my book. But it's rare the mental side of things is fixed, quarterbacks with slow play recognition tend to remain slow, a step behind as it were, and for that alone i felt he would make a poor pro-prospect, at best he would need 3-5 years to round out into a serviceable passer in the league.

Now, i need to say, that i was in the minority with the rest of the scouting department, many of them pointing to Brett Farve when they talked about him. They liked his heart, fire and arm, his ability to scramble and improvise.

2005, i saw a lot of what i expected form the guy i saw in college. His footwork was atrocious, and caused his passes to sail or flutter. He was scattershot with his short accuracy, and slow in his recognition. His 2005 campaign was a disaster, though on a personal level, i wish the team had left him in more, to let him catch up to the speed of the pro game.

2006, started out in a lot of ways like 2005, the biggest difference was his footwork was noticeably better, and i hoped that would help improve his accuracy (it did). The largest change came over the bye week, where for one reason or another the game slowed down for him. It happens, you can see that change in a quarterback. When a college quarterback catches up to the pro game speed, there tends to be a noticeable change in production.

The dead giveaway to this change, was he was hitting his hot receivers when teams blitzed (something he did not do in the 1st half of the year). He became very good at blitz recognition, and many of our deep passes came against rather large blitzes. He stopped locking onto recievers, and watched the safeties more.

Now, he still does a few things poorly. His mechanics remain slightly flawed (he still doesn't like to get full extension on all of his passes), resulting in a lot of low passes, he also tends to throw too much off of his back foot (resulting in a lot of high/dead duck passes), but there have been times I've seen what the other scouts did when they were comparing him to Brett Farve.

A strong armed gunslinger, with high accuracy, who thrives when he's forced to improvise.

Is he a finished product? No. But if he can get his read recognition speed up to a higher level, work out a few kinks in his delivery, and iron out a few of his bad habits he'll be a 3500-4500 20+TD QB in this league for years to come.

clumping platelets
01-01-2007, 11:45 PM
So, in other words, he's likely to be the Bills starting QB for many years to come :up:

Devin
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Fantastic read, this is why I ask you lol.

Appreciate it man, being from this area ive seen quite a few Tulane games unfortunatley. Ive never been impressed much with any Tulane QB that being said the OL has sucked here for pretty much ever. I used to watch Losman sometimes convinced id see a QB murdered on live television. I think he became mobile out of necessity.

2005 was rough but I think most everyone could see Losman didnt get a fair shake. By mid 2006 I will admit I was beyond frustrated with him, like you said in my opinion it was more mental errors then anything. He just seemed to constantly make stupid mistakes or bad decisions.

While that has not completley ceased after the bye, it was like a switch went off and he all of a sudden got it. Next season is gonna be a hell of a test. From JP personally im going to expect a lot more, not so much stat wise but his general game.

Thanks Ing.

mikemac2001
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
see i liked his name and thought that was why we should draft him

jamze132
01-02-2007, 04:01 AM
I knew when JP was born out in Cali, dat the was the chosen one, yo!

Carlton Bailey
01-02-2007, 04:13 AM
see i liked his name and thought that was why we should draft him

Woah. Aren't you the guy from that ESPN show, Madden Nation?

LifetimeBillsFan
01-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Thanks Ingtar!

Just a follow-up question, if you'd be willing to venture answering it: If the Bills give him better protection and a stronger running game, based on the progress that you have seen Losman make, do you feel that he can be a playoff-caliber winner as a QB and, if so, how long do you feel it would take for him to get to that level (or how far do you feel he is from getting to that level)?

mikemac2001
01-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Woah. Aren't you the guy from that ESPN show, Madden Nation?

Yes im mad dog haha from rochester ny

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks Ingtar.

TD won't read or comment in this thread.

Michael82
01-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Ingtar, that was a great read. :bf1:

I'm glad that JP had the good coaching this year and I personally believe he will shine even more next year after getting more protection and taking the offseason to tuneup the last few problems in his game.

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks Ingtar, that was a great read. :bf1:

I'm glad that JP had the good coaching this year and I personally believe he was shine even more next year after getting more protection and taking the offseason to tuneup the last few problems in his game.
What no :pray:?

TacklingDummy
01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Ingtar.

TD won't read or comment in this thread.

My feelings are already known. I don't have to comment for the 20th time that JP will develop into a Joey Harrington, Rob Johnson, Akili Smith, Andre Ware clone type QB.

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2007, 09:27 AM
My feelings are already known. I don't have to comment for the 20th time that JP will develop into a Joey Harrington, Rob Johnson, Akili Smith, Andre Ware clone type QB.
The problem with this ******ed statement is that he is already done more than any of these guys in one full season.

So you and your wealth of football knowledge totally disagrees with Ingtars post?

Typ0
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
The problem with this ******ed statement is that he is already done more than any of these guys in one full season.

So you and your wealth of football knowledge totally disagrees with Ingtars post?

he has?

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 10:58 AM
he has?If you consider full year as a starter yes. . Has Robosack ever finished an entire season?

I'll even compare Joey's 2nd year as a full stater to JP's this year and he's already better than Joey.

Akili , no need to compare.

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
If you consider full year as a starter yes. . Has Robosack ever finished an entire season?

I'll even compare Joey's 2nd year as a full stater to JP's this year and he's already better than Joey.

Akili , no need to compare.
Seriously. I am done with arguing about JP. He is our man BOTTOM LINE!

Ingtar33
01-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks Ingtar!

Just a follow-up question, if you'd be willing to venture answering it: If the Bills give him better protection and a stronger running game, based on the progress that you have seen Losman make, do you feel that he can be a playoff-caliber winner as a QB and, if so, how long do you feel it would take for him to get to that level (or how far do you feel he is from getting to that level)?

He's better now then a few of the QBs on teams i think have a shot at the super bowl. For one, I'd take him over Rivers, and I'd sure as heck take him over Grosman. He faced the hardest test he'll face in the game agaisnt the ravens. I thought he stood up well.

If he improves, he'll not need any more help then he has, considering what he did behind that patchwork line, a poor running game and a mediocre WR core (yes Evans is amazing, but not much else is there)

Short answer: yes

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
He faced the hardest test he'll face in the game agaisnt the ravens. I thought he stood up well.

I thought this too considering he didn't have any help at all from the running game against the best D who knew he was gonna throw all the way.

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
What I need to see from him is more "Favre-ian" fire and awareness, i.e, "it". The comparisons have been made to his gunslinger attributes, but to be a successful gunslinger you also have to "talk the talk, walk the walk". JP is not a system QB nor will he ever be IMO. As such he needs to be treated like Favre in many ways in order for him to flourish.

Now, whether or not his "it" factor improves remains to be seen, but I'm more positive now than I was at the beginning of the year. The thing is that "it" usually shows up pretty quickly so he's still a question mark in my book.

Michael82
01-02-2007, 01:44 PM
He's better now then a few of the QBs on teams i think have a shot at the super bowl. For one, I'd take him over Rivers, and I'd sure as heck take him over Grosman. He faced the hardest test he'll face in the game agaisnt the ravens. I thought he stood up well.

If he improves, he'll not need any more help then he has, considering what he did behind that patchwork line, a poor running game and a mediocre WR core (yes Evans is amazing, but not much else is there)

Doesn't that crow taste delicious? :hungry:

:snicker:

TigerJ
01-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I thought this season turned out to be terrific from the standpoint of letting team members know the kind of players they have to be to win in the NFL, especially the offense. They played more brutally tough defenses than they should ever have to play in a single season again, and at least in the last half of the season did not get embarrassed. They at least have to know that no one can do any worse to them than what they've already experienced this year.

That is particularly true of JP. He knows what he has to do now.

Ingtar33
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Doesn't that crow taste delicious? :hungry:

:snicker:

of course it does.

I love it when the bills win, get better or have hope. We've had no hope for a long time.

I'm beginning to feel it.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the input, Ingtar. Much appreciated!

Kerr
01-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Encouraging.