PDA

View Full Version : So London Fletcher-Baker finally let it out

ghz in pittsburgh
01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070102/1045821.asp?tbd1045821.asp

that he was really upset the whole season about not having an extension.

Well I just respected him a bit more now because he kept that emotion well checked the whole season. A lesser person would've made it known to people - fans, media, teamates (some teamates clearly would've known) during the season and potentially caused a distraction.

However, I think that old guy - Levy - has already made his intention loud and clear from the first day he stepped into the GM office. He would rather err on the side of youth than on the side of old. He has made his mind about which direction he's going and he's not changing it.

The way London came out said this publicly made me believe that he and his agent got clear indication from the Bills that they are going in a different direction.

During this whole season, I've been saying that linebackers are Bills biggest need. It looked every bit positive that Bills will be looking for a big time linebacker for their cover 2, draft or FA. Personally, I think the Bills have good compliment players in Crowell and Ellison, they just don't have that impact player, the anchor, like Spikes was a few years ago that opponents have to game plan for. And the most likely route to acquire such a player is via draft, the 12th pick of the draft.

London, thanks for being a Bill and great contributions. Most of all, thanks for being a gentleman for the Buffalo Bills.

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Why would Marv extend his contract if Marv and Dick didn't know how he'd be able to adjust to the cover 2.

Michael82
01-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Why would Marv extend his contract if Marv and Dick didn't know how he'd be able to adjust to the cover 2.
That's what it was. And I think they got their answer, he's not the kind of MLB that you need for a Cover 2 defense. You need more of a Brian Urlacher type.

Kerr
01-02-2007, 09:52 AM
That's what it was. And I think they got their answer, he's not the kind of MLB that you need for a Cover 2 defense. You need more of a Brian Urlacher type.

Like the kid from Penn State. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted him.

BuffaloBillsStampede
01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I hope he gets a championship somewhere

Romes
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I hope he gets a championship somewhere

He did in St Louis.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
London is great at making tackles 7 yards down field.

mchurchfie
01-02-2007, 10:29 AM
A clear sign that we won't be resigning him and that we're moving on to younger, stronger, and faster on the most important position on the defense.:phew:

Saratoga Slim
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I can go either way on this. He's exactly the kind of player you want on your team from a leadership, loyalty, and community relations perspective, and you can't argue with his numbers.

But he is 32. And I think run defense is our team's major failing point right now. He's always around the ball, but he doesn't seem to make the game-changing plays at the line of scrimmage that you'd like to see out of the MLB. Whether that's his fault, or a product of how he's asked to play, is beyond me.

So I guess my position is this: if we don't resign him, I'll understand. But I want the Bills to be a playoff team next year, and I do not want to see Fletcher let go unless we are confident that his production can be replaced through FA or the draft.

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
A clear sign that we won't be resigning him and that we're moving on to younger, stronger, and faster on the most important position on the defense.:phew:
I'm actually fine whether we resign him or not.

TacklingDummy
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
The Bills only have $40 million in cap space. They can't afford London.

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
The Bills only have $40 million in cap space. They can't afford London.I'm sure the redskins will find way to fit him and Clements in their cap to join the other ex bills.

mchurchfie
01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
The problem with keeping him is that we'll be tempted to play him and we'll never find out what anyone else can do.

mchurchfie
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm sure the redskins will find way to fit him and Clements in their cap to join the other ex bills.
William's defense has been getting lit up pretty good lately.:snicker:

kernowboy
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Sign Matt Wilhelm from the Chargers - local Buckeye - 6ft4, 245lbs, and draft Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis to play strongside in R1 - get Amobi Okoye in R2 to play the NT and we can go 4-3 or 3-4

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Carry on London. It was good to have you here and I wish you all the best wherever you end up.

:up:

Michael82
01-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Like the kid from Penn State. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted him.
Paul Posluszny..... :drool:

That would be awesome! :up:

patmoran2006
01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
4 Interceptions, Fumble Recovery, 2 TD's scored and leading the team in tackles AGAIN..

Isnt the kind of LB you want for a cover two?
are you guys HIGH???
wow

Ickybaluky
01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Sign Matt Wilhelm from the Chargers - local Buckeye - 6ft4, 245lbs, and draft Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis to play strongside in R1 - get Amobi Okoye in R2 to play the NT and we can go 4-3 or 3-4

San Diego signed Wilhelm to a 5-year extension last month:

LINK (http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20061223.php)

The King
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I do not want to see Fletcher let go unless we are confident that his production can be replaced through FA or the draft.

:clap:

JoeMama
01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not married to the idea of retaining London Fletcher-Baker as an automatic move.

But I'd really love to know OBD's contingency plan if they let him walk.

Because I really don't like the idea of starting a rookie at MLB. Not every MLB is an instant stud like Sam Cowart -- & I'm definitely not up for another "rebuilding" year on defense for the sake of one player's development.

Plus, I think Fletcher-Baker is a pretty good MLB. Better than most, anyway.

gonzo1105
01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I dont know why everyone is so in love with Posluszny he isn't even the best LB in the draft. Patrick Willis is by far the best LB in the draft and to make things even better Willis is always out in the community trying to help people make themselves better so dont tell me he isn't a Marv type player. He is more urlacher then Posluszny is.

BillsFever21
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
4 Interceptions, Fumble Recovery, 2 TD's scored and leading the team in tackles AGAIN..

Isnt the kind of LB you want for a cover two?
are you guys HIGH???
wow

I don't understand some of the people around here. They will take some average players on our team and think they are better then they really are.

Then some of the people will talk about how losing London Fletcher is no big deal because he just isn't very good. The guy leads the NFL in tackles over the last 7 years and has never missed a game. He's the leader of our defense and the kind of player evey team should want.

It's not his age that makes some think he wouldn't be any type of a loss. Even a few years ago people said we wouldn't miss him. He has only lead our team in tackles every season he's been here and been our biggest leader.

This reminds of some people dissing on Aaron Schobel for the last few years about how he isn't very good. But then some of the same people act like players like Peerless Price is a great WR.

Fletcher is a great player and a great professional. I will miss him. With his age and the money he will want he won't be back there. To say he will be no loss and we can upgrade him is being crazy though. How much better can you upgrade with a player who leads the NFL in tackles over the last 7 years, has never missed a game and is the leader of your team.

For only 17 million dollars we got a steal for London. Good job, TD. That was a great signing for a great price.

With losing Flether, Clements AND possibly Kelsay this year our defense has just taken a huge hit. Kelsay can be replaced but Fletcher and Clements won't be easy to accomplish.

DynaPaul
01-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I like London Fletcher. He's a class act guy and a good player. I'd like for us to keep him but realistically his loss won't hurt as bad as when we lost Pat Williams and Sam Adams.

mchurchfie
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
With losing Flether, Clements AND possibly Kelsay this year our defense has just taken a huge hit. Kelsay can be replaced but Fletcher and Clements won't be easy to accomplish.
Yep, I'll miss those 30-60 yard runs that happened at least once or twice a game by the opposing running backs and those 150-200 yards against rushing days by opposing offenses. There isn't anyone on this defense good enough to be let go and qualify as a huge loss IMO. I would keep Kelsay (still an upside to him) and Clements would be great to keep, but I'm sure he is going to be absurdly overpriced.

justasportsfan
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Kelsay had his best year while learning a new system. He's gonna get better plus he wants to stay. I'd resign him. Clements is all about the $$ and I have been slowly leaning towards letting Fletch go after his recent *****ing about how he wasn't offered an extension. If he was in Marv's shoes, he too wouldn't have signed a player who he hasn't seen up close and in the wrong side of 30. Why hasn't he played like he did in the past? I'd rather have a MLB who is hungry to make his mark on the NFL than one that thinks he's already there.

MArv will build a team via the draft. If Fletch wants to go, let him go.

mchurchfie
01-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Kelsay had his best year while learning a new system. He's gonna get better plus he wants to stay. I'd resign him. Clements is all about the $$ and I have been slowly leaning towards letting Fletch go after his recent *****ing about how he wasn't offered an extension. If he was in Marv's shoes, he too wouldn't have signed a player who he hasn't seen up close and in the wrong side of 30. Why hasn't he played like he did in the past? I'd rather have a MLB who is hungry to make his mark on the NFL than one that thinks he's already there.

MArv will build a team via the draft. If Fletch wants to go, let him go.
Well said!:hi5::shake:

Drive 4 Five
01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Fletch? I say sign him up. I only hope he still wants to be with the Bills. I have always felt that this guy has been one of the the unsung heros on this team. I doubt this guy gets his walking papers. He isn't going to get a HUGE deal but I believe he will be offered a fair contract to stay put. No way Levy just lets this guy walk.

ParanoidAndroid
01-02-2007, 03:52 PM
With the surprise play from Ellison, I wouldn't be diametrically opposed to playing Crowell in the middle with him and Spikes on the outsides. A little luck with an early day 2 selection would give us needed depth.

kernowboy
01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I can see both Spikes and Fletcher going

I can see Crowell starting the weakside and I would like to see us bring in Matt Wilhelm to fill the MLB role. On the strongside I would be happy with either Willis or Posluzny. I think Marv will see the opportunity to trade down for the Pos, and garnish and extra Day1 pick. This might enable us to move around in R2 and R3 to fill other needs.

Pos has been called the best LB to play for the Nittany Lions. Good enough for me.

Fletcher is a great player but old players fall off very rapidly when the legs finally go ........

G. Host
01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I do not see why Fletch is mad at not getting a new contract unless he just wanted a new signing bonus early. It would be different if he was willing to give back the portion of the signing bonus for this year. Players get signing bonuses to guarentee team their rights for a period but want more and more bonuses but never give them back when they do not meet expectations. NFLPA ought to pool the bonuses and do bonus sharing.

The_Philster
01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm sure the redskins will find way to fit him and Clements in their cap to join the other ex bills.
Redskins are already $3M OVER next year's cap :laughter:

SABURZFAN
01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't understand some of the people around here. They will take some average players on our team and think they are better then they really are.

:laughter:

it happens all of the time.

jamze132
01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I would like to have Fletcher back, the guy is Mr. Consistent.

And for all of you special people, someone has to make the tackles 7 yds downfield since our line let's everything through like the US/Mexico border. How can anyone sit there and say that he sucks or he is average or whatever negative nancy **** you say about him? He did have 2 TDs this year? 157 tackles? Are you serious? Of course should resign him.

I would say that Fletcher is the last reason why we can't stop the run. He actually is! 157 times!