PDA

View Full Version : Micheal Turner

Kerr
01-02-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.nflplayers.com/images/players/35694.jpg

Is a RFA and the best free agent back in the offseason. He's under 25 and he's shown productive numbers in all his years as a backup for San Diego. He'd likely be more productive as a starter than a rookie back at this point in time. Some say it's because of LT that he has success. I don't know, but the has a knack of getting over 5 yards a carry. He's been refered to as a workhorse running back with the moniker, "The Burner". How much would you give up for him if Willis is given the boot?

Philagape
01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Up to a third-rounder.

Carlton Bailey
01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
The guy's 5-11, 237 and has incredible speed. Where do I sign up?

camelcowboy
01-02-2007, 07:11 PM
HE'll get the first round tender, 1.25 to insure your team has a quality back up

PECKERWOOD
01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
If we don't have to give up the world for him, hell yeah.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Another backup banking on his "potential". Just because he looks good in garbage time backing up Tomlinson doesn't mean he's any good.

For every Priest Holmes there are a thousand Derrick Blaylocks and Chester Taylors.

Ickybaluky
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
For every Priest Holmes there are a thousand Derrick Blaylocks and Chester Taylors.

Not for nothing, but Chester Taylor busted out this year when he got his opportunity, to the tune of 1200 yards and 40+ receptions. That isn't anything to sneeze at.

Also, Turner doesn't just play in garbage time, he rotates in during games to give LT a breather all the time, and has been consistently productive over 3 years. Granted, SD will tender him high and will ask a high pick for him, but there is little doubt he will be the feature back for some team in the next couple years.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Maybe Houston will be interested since they missed out on Reggie Bush.

TigerJ
01-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Turner is mainly a north south runner. He's not going to be real elusive in traffic, but let him get a head of steam and look out.

Tatonka
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
i would trade willis for a 2nd rounder and offer that for turner in a heartbeat.. seriously.

i watch almost all of san diegos games, because i pull for rivers.. i have liked that kid since college.. and turner is real.. he is not a garbage time back.. he just happens to play behind the best back in football.

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2007, 02:49 AM
In a NY minute.

kernowboy
01-03-2007, 03:41 AM
ok ... another option that will be free - no draft picks involved.

TJ Duckett, Washington Redskins, a UFA, 6ft 254lbs, 25 years old

Traded by the Falcons in the last year of his contract as insurance in case Portis and Betts didn't recover from injury. They did. Signed late so not up to speed with the system. Part of the Ashley Lelie trade - a 3rd rounder I think

2nd highest ever rusher for the Spartans. Was the muscle in the Falcons DVD attack.

In 4 years as a part time runner with the Falcons he 544 yds per season, at an average of 3.95 yds per carry (often up against the run defence) and scored almost 8 TDs per season. His longest run was 55yds

This is what tsn.ca say:

Big, powerful inside runner with surprising quickness and nimbleness. Runs low, keeps his legs churning and delivers a blow to the tackler. Can cutback and will sometimes explode when he hits the hole. Has enough speed to run the sweep. Is improving as a blocker and receiver

Why give up draft picks when we don't need to?

Night Train
01-03-2007, 04:06 AM
I've been mentioning him every time when FA's have been discussed.

Throw a good offer his way and San Diego will not match it. He's a good gamble,for sure.

Ickybaluky
01-03-2007, 05:10 AM
I've been mentioning him every time when FA's have been discussed.

Throw a good offer his way and San Diego will not match it. He's a good gamble,for sure.

However, they will tender him at at least a 1st-round level, and possibly a 1st and 3rd. He is a valuable player as a backup to them, and they will want to protect that value. They aren't going to let him go without compensation.

My guess is they would ask for a first round pick, or a combination of picks that equal first round value. They think very highly of him, and realize he is a valuable asset in case LT were to be injured.

Night Train
01-03-2007, 05:21 AM
However, they will tender him at at least a 1st-round level, and possibly a 1st and 3rd. He is a valuable player as a backup to them, and they will want to protect that value. They aren't going to let him go without compensation.

My guess is they would ask for a first round pick, or a combination of picks that equal first round value. They think very highly of him, and realize he is a valuable asset in case LT were to be injured.

Well stated.

It will be interesting to see how willing they are to protect him from leaving.

BillsNick
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Turner is F'ng awesome and I would love to get him on our team.

F U Willis!

jamze132
01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
But if any team refused to offer SD what they are asking, he becomes a very expensive backup. But since LT is pretty much the offense their, it doesn;t hurt to pay for a little insurance.

I am in favor of looking into the possibility of having him in Buffalo as the feature back.

Ickybaluky
01-03-2007, 07:54 AM
But if any team refused to offer SD what they are asking, he becomes a very expensive backup. But since LT is pretty much the offense their, it doesn;t hurt to pay for a little insurance.

I am in favor of looking into the possibility of having him in Buffalo as the feature back.

With the cap going up so much, SD can afford Turner. He has real value to them.

However, in a year Turner will be unrestricted, and there will be plenty of teams interested in signing him.

clumping platelets
01-03-2007, 07:58 AM
1st & 3rd tender is $2.35 million

Bolts are a better team in 07 with him

jamze132
01-04-2007, 06:14 AM
I don't think we will match that.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Are you guys serious? You'd rather have Michael Turner than Willis?

I know sometimes people want a change just for the sake of it, like in fantasy football sometimes we trade just to have a different guy. But come on, Willis is way better than Turner.

Tatonka
01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
willis and his dancing and ****ty average yards per carry can blow me..

best running back in the league my ball sack.

mysticsoto
01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
willis and his dancing and ****ty average yards per carry can blow me..

best running back in the league my ball sack.

He is not the best RB clearly, but he is better than A-Train, and an order of magnitude better than TJ Duckett (for whoever was advocating dumping WM and getting TJ instead).

Alot of the games where Willis has a poor YPC is due to the Oline not opening holes for him. Yes, the Oline has improved and yes, they pass block pretty decently for JP now, but their run blocks have not improved as much. The left side has been the only side Willis has done anything on. All defenses have to do is overload the left side to ensure he doesnt' get anything. We need a good RG and maybe an even better Center and the YPC for Willis will improve dramatically!

If he wants too much money next year, he should get dumped and we'll draft a RB in the 1st rd instead...

Michael82
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
BUMP! Nice thread, Kerr! :up:

ddaryl
04-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Are you guys serious? You'd rather have Michael Turner than Willis?

I know sometimes people want a change just for the sake of it, like in fantasy football sometimes we trade just to have a different guy. But come on, Willis is way better than Turner.

I think this has become obvious.

Anyone in hindsight still feel we should have kept Willis ?

For better or for worse I am glad to see Willis go. I made comments last offseason on this boards that I didn't feel Willis wanted to be a Bill based upon his lack of participation in offseason workouts and his demeanor. A year later and a very subpar 2006 season for Willis solidified my desire to see him wlak. I kudo Marv for getting 2 3rd picks for him.

BILLSROCK1212
04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
i believe Marv learned a lot from not trading Nate

Michael82
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
i believe Marv learned a lot from not trading Nate
I was thinking the same thing. He knows that he should have put Nate on the market last year and gotten something for him instead of losing him for nothing.

kernowboy
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Except TJ Duckett has signed a performance related 1 year contract, a year before the best laden RB class maybe ever, and would have cost absolutely nothing in draft picks