• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Bills Rookie Rankings

what rookie do you think had the most impact, and which rookies do you see getting das boot? Personally, while the rookies fit in the scheme well, I would say no one really blew me away with their abilities. Two people I would say suprised me is Kyle Williams and also Ellison, they both played well considering their late round pickings.

Also, what FA's this season performed the best, and who should we let go? I'd have to say out of all the FA's we aquired this offseason...Kiwaukee Thomas is the one who had the most impact, he is around the ball all the time, many big deflections and covers well in the nickel packages. I would also give honorable mention to Melvin Fowler, heading up the O-line. He's a high character guy and is rarely one to give up a sack. As for the right side of the O-line...they're a bunch of bums!

whats everyone elses take?

Re: Bills Rookie Rankings

IMO I'd rank them as

1 Donte Whitner
    2 Ko Simpson
    3 Kyle Williams
    4 Terrance Pennington
    5 Kevin Ellison
    6 John McCargo
    7 Aaron Merz
    8 Ashton Youboty
    9 Brad Butler

With Donte and Ko we are set at safety.

Williams was a great surprise and all he requires is an extra 10-15lbs. I'd like us to pick up a young NT like Okoye in the draft and we're set here.

Despite the calls for a RT, I thought Pennington did well and would be happy for him to fight out the position with Butler and Merz in the preseason.

Ellison played very well but I'd like to see him as depth, first off the bench rather than a full time starter

The jury is still out on John and Ashton. From the very limited time they had, I think both could become stars and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ashton starting next season.

Merz was a huge bonus as a R7b who most people had never heard of, he could be a decent back up at all the OL positions except LT.

As for Butler I can see him adding 20-25lbs in the offseason and seriously pushing Terrance. Just because you are slow to adapt to the pros doesn't make you a bad player overnight.

I see none getting the boot.

As for the FAs the best turned out to be Royal, the worst was Reyes. Triplett got better when he realised he was a full time starter, A-Train helped out, Peerless was overpriced but did ok. Thomas was a reasonable pickup but don't see as more than a nickel back.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
      As for the FAs the best turned out to be Royal, the worst was Reyes. Triplett got better when he realised he was a full time starter, A-Train helped out, Peerless was overpriced but did ok. Thomas was a reasonable pickup but don't see as more than a nickel back.
      sorry but I have to disagree with this take on Royal. Royal was terrible. He made a few big grabs but disappeared for weeks at a time, had some sloppy penalties and blew that grab that would've won the Titans game for us. He also had several drops.

The guy's a bust and is exactly why we need to stop taking other teams' backups and trying to turn them into starters.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        sorry but I have to disagree with this take on Royal. Royal was terrible. He made a few big grabs but disappeared for weeks at a time, had some sloppy penalties and blew that grab that would've won the Titans game for us. He also had several drops.

The guy's a bust and is exactly why we need to stop taking other teams' backups and trying to turn them into starters.
        royal hurt us more than he helped.

ex. penalties, dropped passes, anyone hear of getting both feet in bounds in the endzone, spiff?

He had 3 TD passes which he only caught because he was wide open. My grandma could do that, come on. As for blocking...that's great, but blocking doesnt mean jack when you keep getting offsides and make it 3rd and 20-something.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

I'm very happy with the contributions of Whitner, Simpson, Williams, and Ellison. I think Pennington was a little less impressive, but he nonetheless deserves props for some fairly promising work at RT, considering he's a cheap 7th round draft pick.

I'd have to rate Youboty as the most disappointing. He looked OK that one game he started at nickel. But then I think he was inactive again for the final game. Granted he missed some time at the beginning of the season, but nonetheless I just didn't get the impression that the coaching staff was impressed at all with him.

McCargo would be second most disappointing, but that's not really fair b/c he was just starting to make a few plays when he got hurt. He could end up being a solid player, but at the moment I'm justifiably or unjustifiably annoyed with that pick. For instance, Nick Mangold or Marcus McNeill would look good in Bills uniforms right now (in hindsight, b/c at the time I was OK with McCargo)).

Butler is the only one I don't really have any opinion of.
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• CAbills
            • Jul 2004

Even if Royal makes that catch we still dont go to the playoffs and are drafting in the late teens early twenties. I think we all need to get over it. I am SURE he wont do it again.
            Lets Go Buffalo!
            Boiler Up!

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Royals may not have been great but he didn't do so badly in his first season with a new team , new scheme and his transition into a catching TE. I expect better things from him next year the more he builds his chemistry with the team.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by CAbills
                Even if Royal makes that catch we still dont go to the playoffs and are drafting in the late teens early twenties. I think we all need to get over it. I am SURE he wont do it again.
                it's not just that play. The guy had about 10 bad games, 3 good ones and 3 mediocre ones. Every time he'd do something that made me think he might be a servicable player for us, he'd follow it up with something stupid like a drop or a penalty on a 3rd down play.

Oh, and can we please get at least one TE that's capable of breaking a tackle by a DB that weighs 60 pounds less than he does? This isn't just on Royal- it's been about a decade since a TE in Buffalo has broken a tackle and added some YAC at the end of a play.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                  Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                  • Sep 2004

Everyone seems to forget that right before he didn't get both feet in bounds he took a penalty that moved the team outside the 10, in the red zone. It was two terrible plays back to back that cost the team 4 points.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Billsrock4life
                    • Nov 2005

1.Donte Whitner
                    2.Ko Simpson
                    3.Keith Ellison
                    4.Kyle Williams
                    5.Terrance Pennington
                    6.Ashton Youbouty
                    7.John McCargo
                    8.Brad Butler
                    9.Aaron Merz

Comment

• User Manuel
                      The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                      • Nov 2003

I'm not sure you can ask for a better draft than we had. Not one guy can be considerd a bust at this time. I think Whitner and Simpson, Ellison will be around along time. Whitner is going to be a pro-bowler eventually.

McCargo and Youboty I liked a lot in college. Youbouty worried me early, I think he could make a play for the nickle next year outside shot at starting, but not likely as I think Nate is coming back. McCargo will be fine, but he is never going to be a pro-bowler.

Pennington seemed to be good. Lets see if he can take the next step. I actually think Merz and Butler might make pushes for jobs in the off season.

Williams is interesting. I wonder if he could play end? He could be a good depth end if we lose Kelsay.

We might not have gotten superstars from this draft, but this is the type of draft the Patriots have been getting year in and out and creates their killer depth.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

1. Donte Whitner
                        2. Ko Simpson
                        3. Keith Ellison
                        4. Terrance Pennington
                        5. Kyle Williams
                        6. Aaron Merz
                        7. John McCargo
                        8. Ashton Youbouty
                        9. Brad Butler

That is just in order of impact. McCargo was most disappointing followed closely by Youbouty. Whitner and Williams played about as well as I expected. Simpson, Ellison and Pennington all exceeded expectations.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

we'll need time with McCargo.

That's the problem with DTs. It's rare they hit quick.

We'll know by the end of his rookie contract if he was a bust or not
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                            we'll need time with McCargo.

That's the problem with DTs. It's rare they hit quick.

We'll know by the end of his rookie contract if he was a bust or not
                            I heard his injury is one that will come back every now and then.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

i wish i knew more about his injury. i just know he missed most of the year... not with what.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X