PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight: DT options at our #8 pick last year

Saratoga Slim
01-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Looking back at last year's #8 pick in light of our continuing need for help at the DT position, I'm pretty confident that Marv & Co. made a good call in passing on Brodrick Bunkley:

(http://30608290063.football.nfl.com/players/playerpage/407492):

"Eagles DL Brodrick Bunkley missed the team's flight to Indianapolis on Saturday afternoon and then was listed as inactive for Sunday night's game with the Colts. Bunkley, the Eagles' top pick out of Florida State in April's NFL draft, missed the team's 1 p.m. flight. The rookie flew on a commercial flight and arrived Saturday at about 6:15 p.m. He attended a scheduled defensive line meeting at 7:30. "We've been here a few years and that was the first time someone missed a flight," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "I'm not going to listen to too many excuses." An Eagles spokesman would not comment before the game on whether Bunkley had been fined. This marked the first game Bunkley has missed this season. The tackle started on the wrong foot with the team this summer after missing 29 practices in a contract holdout. In 10 games, all as a reserve, he has just nine tackles, no sacks and one hurry."

That said, has anybody paid attention to Haloti Ngata in Baltimore? I know he was supposedly the "wrong" type of DT for our system, but how has he panned out thus far?

Devin
01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Ngata had a very solid rookie year, next season I think he will be even better. Not to mention him being there has HELPED the LB corps greatly. Hes not the sole reason that freak Baltimore lb corps has had such an amazing season but he helps.

Ingtar33
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Baltimore moves him around on the line but they have him playing basically DE for a 3-4... though they don't play a true 3-4... his position is more of a DE/UT position. He's been a fantastic run stopper, eating up OG/C or OG/OT drawing double teams and freeing' their safeties.

He position for the Ravens would make him a UT for the bills, not DT... UT we got good play from this year... its our NT who's getting shoved back 9 yards into our DBs 0on every running play.

Ickybaluky
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
The Giants got good value in Barry Cofield in the 4th round. He ended up starting out of camp and having a pretty good rookie season. He would have been a good fit in the Buffalo defense, as he is an active inside guy.

That is hindsight, though. There weren't a lot of impact guys at DT. There were some DE, but the big guys are harder to find.