NFL.com article on Rookie contibutions this year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

NFL.com article on Rookie contibutions this year...

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

This season's rookies were off the chart

By Bryan Morry
    Special to NFL.com

(Jan. 3, 2007) -- Summer is when the hope of winter glory saturates NFL training camps. Anxious teams, all 0-0, line up in sweltering heat eager to see how new and young faces blend with the old.

Well, in 2006, someone forgot to tell that to the impressive crop of drafted players who stormed into the league and made sizable contributions for contending and non-contending teams alike. The list of impact rookies is lengthy and the playoff rosters include a heavy dose of the Class of '06.
    A whole flippin article about this and no mention of Whitner or Simpson!
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: NFL.com article on Rookie contibutions this year...

I love it! Get them nice and pissed off in preparation for the offseason so they can come back and smack some people in the mouth.
    We didn't have any "superstars," but I bet no team had the overall contribution from as many rookies as the Bills did and the 2 not starting have a solid chance of doing so next year, especially McCargo. Five rookies became regular starters and looked good. One of the former 2 was getting more playing time up until the season ending injury. The other was basically out of football for a month including all of training camp and was decent in spot duty near the end of the season.
    People will notice once these guys are leading us into Super Bowl contention over the next few years. Until then, the quieter the better.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Whitner really did not live up to the #8 pick this year. He like every other rookie gets three years in my book so I hope for much bigger things next year.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
        Whitner really did not live up to the #8 pick this year. He like every other rookie gets three years in my book so I hope for much bigger things next year.
        How many rookies had over 100 tackles? I think he deserved the #8.

Comment

• Statman
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
          That's the alternative viewpoint going against the flow of the mentality here that questions why Whitner and Simpson aren't at the top of every DROY list.
          Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

• Statman
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
            Could it be because none of our DTs could stop the run leaving Fletcher and Whitner as the guys in the middle to stop them?

It also doesn't help that we often leave the space on the DL between the tackles completely unmanned by defensive linemen leaving the back seven to do the job.

In essense he had the opportunity to do it. The Ravens safeties didn't have that kind of opportunity because so few players needing to be tackled got to that level.

Comment

• Statman
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
              Also, consider that in our system there is a premium on passes defensed, not for tackling RBs that get past the front seven.

Simpson had a mere two PDs and Whitner four. That's not very good for PDs, even for safeties, but especially safeties in a Cover 2/Tampa 2.

My guess is that if we had a defensive line we'd see those numbers improve. But that would be the same for any Ss and CBs.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

Everybody ran on us. There were relatively few pass attempts and some good pass defense. Whitner did his job. He wasn't a big playmaker but he was clearly more productive than Huff. Ok....Huff.....so what? Of all the rookie safeties, I'm pretty sure he was the most productive and made tackles all over the field. Simpson was a 4th round pick and his production was good also considering that he was suddenly a starter in game 2.
                Rookie Year Stats for some veteran safeties:
                Dawkins
                YearTeamGTotalTklAstSacksIntYdsAvgLgTDPass Def
                1996Philadelphia Eagles148563.022134113.73006

Deion Grant
                2000Carolina Panthers000.000000.0000
                2001Carolina Panthers167159.012159619.24308

Archuleta
                2001St. Louis Rams135647.092000.0003

Chavous
                Year

Team

G

Total

Tkl

Ast

Sacks

Int

Yds

Avg

Lg

TD

Pass Def
                1998Arizona Cardinals162822.060200.0006

Rodney Harisson
                1994San Diego Chargers152017.030000.0000
                1995San Diego Chargers113329.0405224.41700

Sean Jones
                2004Cleveland Browns000.000000.0000
                2005Cleveland Browns162316.070000.0000

Sammy Knight
                1997New Orleans Saints169376.017057515.03907

Milloy
                1996New England Patriots168454.03012147.01405

Polamalu
                2003Pittsburgh Steelers163830.082000.0004

Williams
                2002Dallas Cowboys169988.011259018.08523

Wilson
                2001Arizona Cardinals163224.080.529748.56116

Wire (lol)
                2002Buffalo Bills169671.0253000.0001
                Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Statman
                  Also, consider that in our system there is a premium on passes defensed, not for tackling RBs that get past the front seven.

Simpson had a mere two PDs and Whitner four. That's not very good for PDs, even for safeties, but especially safeties in a Cover 2/Tampa 2.

My guess is that if we had a defensive line we'd see those numbers improve. But that would be the same for any Ss and CBs.
                  Whitner and Simpson did what they were asked to do. Try and find something positive to talk about.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                    Closet Bills Fan
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71
                    I love it! Get them nice and pissed off in preparation for the offseason so they can come back and smack some people in the mouth.
                    We didn't have any "superstars," but I bet no team had the overall contribution from as many rookies as the Bills did and the 2 not starting have a solid chance of doing so next year, especially McCargo. Five rookies became regular starters and looked good. One of the former 2 was getting more playing time up until the season ending injury. The other was basically out of football for a month including all of training camp and was decent in spot duty near the end of the season.
                    People will notice once these guys are leading us into Super Bowl contention over the next few years. Until then, the quieter the better.
                    well in the case of the jets you had mangold and d-brick (minus that buffalo game in dec) playing extremely well, and not to mention washington playing rb...... as well as brad smith, and a few of the others on d........ i'd much rather have my team play under the radar rather than be in the news all the time ala TO.

j-e-t-s
                    jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Working...
                    X