PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag?

JPFBillsFan
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
First off Who are we tagging this year if anyone?
Second my understanding is in last year's franchise tender to Nate Clements Marv promised we would not franchise him again this year. What happens if we go back on our promise? Is this legal, legally speaking? Has anyone ever seen this happen in the league? Why would Nate not allow us to Franchise him and trade him to a team that wants him, and probably pay him what he wants while we are not left empty handed?

Originally I thought Lindell would have been a good option for tagging but thank God we extended him.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
First off Who are we tagging this year if anyone?
Second my understanding is in last year's franchise tender to Nate Clements Marv promised we would not franchise him again this year. What happens if we go back on our promise? Is this legal, legally speaking? Has anyone ever seen this happen in the league? Why would Nate not allow us to Franchise him and trade him to a team that wants him, and probably pay him what he wants while we are not left empty handed?

Originally I thought Lindell would have been a good option for tagging but thank God we extended him.

1) We can't renig for various reasons.

2) You bring up a great point. I am hoping that my criticism of Marv for the "promise" in unjustified and somehow Nate and Marv agreed to a "trade scenario" so that the Bills would get something in return.

3) If we sign him, we cannot use the franchise tag on anyone else for the entire length of Nate's contract. This is why I'm 100% sure he is not staying.

JPFBillsFan
01-04-2007, 09:10 AM
so if we come to a contractual agreement with Nate with the Help of God and the Green backs, we'd be unable to franchise a player for the entire duration of that contract with nate?

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
No. If his franchise tender expires and then the Bills sign him, they have the franchise tag back.

Meathead
01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
its been written into the contract

besides marv would never go back on something like that. it would undermine the foundation of character hes worked to put in place since he started. the bills have some leverage with free agents now because the players love playing for him and the bills organization. not to mention the work ethic, camaraderie, and professionalism that goes along with it too

nah for many reasons zero chance nate does anything but sign someplace else as a ufa

HHURRICANE
01-04-2007, 09:29 AM
No. If his franchise tender expires and then the Bills sign him, they have the franchise tag back.

??????????????????????????

BLeonard
01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
??????????????????????????

OK, as I understand it...

Nate signed the one year franchise tender. When that expires, we have the tag back. We COULD use it on Nate again, I suppose, but, if we do so and then sign Nate to say, a 5 year deal... We lose the tag for 5 years.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

-Bill

RockStar36
01-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Makes sense to me.

I couldn't see Marv going back on his word. He speaks to highly on things like character to then go and show poor character himself.

I'm still 50/50 that Nate stays. The Bills need to suck it up and pay him.

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
If Nate means as much to the D as Jauron and Fewell say he does, then it would be idiotic not to give him what he wants.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
If Nate means as much to the D as Jauron and Fewell say he does, then it would be idiotic not to give him what he wants.

The Bills are only $40 million under the cap. The Bills only had cap space enough to extend Lindell. All other Free Agents must wait unitl next year.

User Manuel
01-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I am going to guarantee, right here, right now, that Nate Clements will bw a Buffalo Bill next season.

SquishDaFish
01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Dummy go back to your damn HOLE!

jamze132
01-05-2007, 04:16 AM
I am going to guarantee, right here, right now, that Nate Clements will bw a Buffalo Bill next season.
Why would you do something like that? Are you trying to build credibility or do you just have a hunch? Cause around here, you will be negged to death if you start making false guarantees and false statements.

jamze132
01-05-2007, 04:17 AM
I can't see paying Nate over $60 mil throughout his next contract.. And if that is what it will take to keep him, then see ya, dude, good luck.

User Manuel
01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Why would you do something like that? Are you trying to build credibility or do you just have a hunch? Cause around here, you will be negged to death if you start making false guarantees and false statements.

I guarantee, on a hunch, that they resign him.

BillsNick
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I am going to gaurantee, right here, right now, that there is No way in HELL Nate is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year. NO WAY IN HELL.

clumping platelets
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Bills cannot tag Clements

Bills have the tag available

Bills will not use the tag this year because no player is worthy of that status

dolphan117
01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
OK, as I understand it...

Nate signed the one year franchise tender. When that expires, we have the tag back. We COULD use it on Nate again, I suppose, but, if we do so and then sign Nate to say, a 5 year deal... We lose the tag for 5 years.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

-BillNo that's not quite how it works. The contract that Nate signed last year had specific language in it that said he couldn't be franchised this year.

However if that wasn't the case and you did tag him and then signed him to a 5 year deal than the new deal would replace the franchise tag and the tag would be available for all of the following 5 years.

clumping platelets
01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
No that's not quite how it works. The contract that Nate signed last year had specific language in it that said he couldn't be franchised this year.

However if that wasn't the case and you did tag him and then signed him to a 5 year deal than the new deal would replace the franchise tag and the tag would be available for all of the following 5 years.

First part correct but the second is only partially correct. Teams can signed a tagged player if they first sign the 1 yr tender and then, during specified dates within the CBA, signs the long term deal.......team regains the tag for the following season under this scenario......been used every season since the tags started

BillsFever21
01-06-2007, 03:48 AM
It seems like some people around here just see how much money it's gonna cost to sign a player and they are like "no way"

It doesn't matter how much cap space we have for years to come. They act like it's coming out of their pocket and they won't be feeding their kids for the next 5 years.

We can just run around with 20-30 million in cap space every year and brag about how much cap space we have every year...that we never use.

If you want stud players then you gotta pay for them. If you don't wanna pay for them then you can end up with a group of 2.5 million players that didn't make an impact last year and a bunch of rookies to replace the rest of the positions. That is until them rookies become FA's again and then it will cost to much money to sign them.

Sure let him walk. There is always some player out there that will cost 4yr-10m like all the contracts we gave out last year who will step right in and be just as good as Nate. :rolleyes:

jamze132
01-06-2007, 10:17 AM
It seems like some people around here just see how much money it's gonna cost to sign a player and they are like "no way"

It doesn't matter how much cap space we have for years to come. They act like it's coming out of their pocket and they won't be feeding their kids for the next 5 years.

We can just run around with 20-30 million in cap space every year and brag about how much cap space we have every year...that we never use.

If you want stud players then you gotta pay for them. If you don't wanna pay for them then you can end up with a group of 2.5 million players that didn't make an impact last year and a bunch of rookies to replace the rest of the positions. That is until them rookies become FA's again and then it will cost to much money to sign them.

Sure let him walk. There is always some player out there that will cost 4yr-10m like all the contracts we gave out last year who will step right in and be just as good as Nate. :rolleyes:
You make a good point, but this franchise doesn;t make as much money as say the Cowboys do, therefore, if Ralph can go el-cheapo on the salaries, he get's to pocket more. We will never field a coonsistent winner if we don't pay for something good.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I guarantee, on a hunch, that they resign him.

Enjoy your 161 rep now. I don't see how it happens. He is going to get a Peereless price deal. I don't want the Bills owning this. If we are going to overpay let's do it on Steinbach!!!

HHURRICANE
01-06-2007, 10:37 AM
You make a good point, but this franchise doesn;t make as much money as say the Cowboys do, therefore, if Ralph can go el-cheapo on the salaries, he get's to pocket more. We will never field a coonsistent winner if we don't pay for something good.

How many Superbowls have Jones and Schneider one since the CBA started chaninging drastically? You can drop a 6.1 liter enigine into a Pinto but I don't want to be going 180 MPH in it!! The parts always equal the whole. The Bills D became one dimensional and teams exploited the hell out of it. Tennesee's winning drive against us (from their 12) had one passing play and 12 rushes. I'd rather take my chances on losing Clements who looked like crap for 1 and a half seasons before the bye, and get some run stoppers!!

Nighthawk
01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Marv promising not to tag Clements was a moronic move. The extra draft choice that it would have brought to the Bills would be huge for a team trying to fill so many holes. Bad move.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Bills cannot tag Clements

Bills have the tag available

Bills will not use the tag this year because no player is worthy of that status

there's 2 imo London Fletcher, Chris Kelsay

Throne Logic
01-07-2007, 02:10 AM

Um, are you saying that you feel Chris Kelsay is worth the average salary of the top 5 DE's in the league? Please tell me you mistyped that, or are kidding, or very hopped up on many varieties of drugs done simultaneously, or something of that nature.

I'd like to keep him, but not that bad.

Fletcher is an interesting argument. I don't believe the Bills want to keep him. Otherwise they'd have made a move to extend him during the season. I think they want to change the type of player to better fit the current system and improve the run defense.

Crisis
01-07-2007, 02:12 AM

CHRIS KELSAY?

LOL