PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to Miami?????

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Rumor out of Pittsburgh.

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Rumor is that it's all about money. Pittsburgh won't come up with the $8 mil per, but the Dolphins will.

Steelers will let him go for draft picks, like the Raiders did with Gruden.

Coach Sal
01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Cowher is still under contract to the Steelers for one more year.

He can't just go and coach another team unless the Steelers release him from that deal.

Why would they do that?

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Now that would suck.....

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
For a cache of draft picks, especially if he says he would rather not coach at all.

gil
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I guess this might sum up the 'rumor' from down here in the burgh...

http://postgazette.com/pg/07004/751175-66.stm

Coach Sal
01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, it would have to be a deal like the Bucs pulled off for Gruden.

But, trust me, the reason Cowher is getting out of Pittsburgh right now has very little to do with the Steelers, and a lot more to do with his own family.

I'm not saying it could never happen - because lots of money can change lots of things - but he wants to take 1-2 years off and spend some time with his family. He needs to do that.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I said yesterday in the Saban thread that Cowher would go to the Dolphins.

More money + better weather= Sign me up

Crazygoo
01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
i think they should hire Mularky

gil
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I said yesterday in the Saban thread that Cowher would go to the Dolphins.

More money + better weather= Sign me up

I know Miami is desperate, but they've already given up picks to get Culpepper and, to a lesser extent, Harrington - now, if they go after Cowher, they're likely to give up at least a 1st rounder and a couple later round picks - I agree he's a good coach, but with an aging defense and everything else, this would seem to bury them even further.

That being said - I hope they do mortgage their immediate future to do something like that.

Patrick76777
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Rumor out of Pittsburgh.

Good! Esp. if they rape the Fins for a bunch of draft picks. That team has a terrible QB situation and an aging defense. They need as many picks as they can get.

It's so Miami to make a deal like that. They'll be terrible under Cowher for the next 4 years until they fire him and Pittsburgh would use the draft picks to win 2 of the next 5 Superbowls. I'd be willing to bet money on it.

RockStar36
01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Cowher is a great coach but even I'm not sure if he can fix that mess down in Miami. With that being said, I hope he doesn't coach down there.

I was under the impression that if he left Pittsburgh this year it was to retire with his family. Of course I've seen plenty of coaches come back from retirement.

Night Train
01-04-2007, 11:07 AM
You could predict that baseless thinking the second Saban left for the Alabama job.

That's why it's called a rumor.

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, it would have to be a deal like the Bucs pulled off for Gruden.

But, trust me, the reason Cowher is getting out of Pittsburgh right now has very little to do with the Steelers, and a lot more to do with his own family.

I'm not saying it could never happen - because lots of money can change lots of things - but he wants to take 1-2 years off and spend some time with his family. He needs to do that.
This is all BS.

It's all about the :$: and the ego. Cowher feels that he should be the highest paid coach in the NFL, not in the middle of the pack.

Kerr
01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
The rumor only has life because of his past connections with Mularkey and Capers as his former assistants.

Michael82
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM
:ill:

TigerJ
01-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I can't for the life of me come up with a reason why he would want to do that.

Gunzlingr
01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
It will turn into another Jimmy Johnson sort of tenure.

Cntrygal
01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't like seeing Cowher down in Miami.

They should call Gilbride.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
The last time I checked, Miami is further away from North Carolina than Pittsburgh. And you can bet when Cowher does resign, the top reason will be that he wants to be close to his family.

His new house in Carolina is built and his wife and daughters have already moved in. In fact, after Cowher met Art Rooney, he headed straight to his new home to "clear his mind about whether to coach or not."

Of course money talks. I don't doubt that he can be persuaded by money the way Saban was. The general consensus in Pittsburgh here is that Bill is worn out somewhat and his family is absolutely worn out on coaching NFL teams. Ideally he wants to take a break. And when he gets his mind abd body refreshed, he WILL come back.

Money? Money is important but I think Bill knows that money will always be there for him. It could be this year, next year, or whenever he decides to come back to NFL.

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2007, 12:24 PM
He thinks he should get Holmgren money.

First guy to pony up gets him. This family BS is all a ruse as long as he's under contract. If the Steelers don't ante up, he "retires" for a year, then jumps for the first $8 mil. If the Edmonton Eskimos paid him $8 mil, he'd take it.

Coach Sal
01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
This is all BS.

It's all about the :$: and the ego. Cowher feels that he should be the highest paid coach in the NFL, not in the middle of the pack.

Yeah.

That's why he's stayed in Pittsburgh for 15 years without this ever being an issue before, right?

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah.

That's why he's stayed in Pittsburgh for 15 years without this ever being an issue before, right?
It wasn't an issue until he won the Super Bowl. Then he expected to cash in.

mchurchfie
01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Its all about the :$::$::$:...believe that.

Philagape
01-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Won't happen.

Historian
01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm telling ya...Mike Shula should be Miami's man!

!Papacrunk!
01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Nah, I don't think he's going to go to Miami. I think he'll retire--he may come back later like Parcells, but I don't see him going anywhere else IMO.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Rumor out of Pittsburgh.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!