PDA

View Full Version : Crowell new defensive captain?

Romes
01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
This is interesting from Chris Browns blog.

Interpret freely

INTERESTING COMMENTS FROM CROWELL: In talking with Angelo Crowell on his way out the door at One Bills Drive, I found his desire to become more of a leader on this team very interesting. He said he was tutored on how to lead by Spikes and Fletcher, and while I respect his desire to lead, I got the feeling from the way he was talking that he didn't expect one or possibly either of them to be here to lead.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, that's just the feeling I got and I could be right or I could be wrong.

This comment was the most intriguing to me when he referred to Spikes and Fletcher and their great leadership abilities.

"I think it’s time for me to break away and become a leader like those guys were. The opportunity has been given to me and I’m going into this offseason with that on my mind."

Someone has given him the opportunity to lead next season?

Very interesting.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Sounds like Fletcher is passing the torch to Crowell on Fletcher's way out.

If this is true...what does it say about Spikes leadership skills? Or does this mean Crowell could move inside?

Anyway, its the off-season so speculate away.

RedEyE
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
"I think it’s time for me to break away and become a leader like those guys were. The opportunity has been given to me and I’m going into this offseason with that on my min...."

I think it's even more interesting that he phrased Spikes and Fletcher's leadership abilities in the past tense, saying "were" rather than "are". I would be upset if both Fletcher and Spikes did not return next season, but I can't say that I couldn't see it happening. Ideally, it appears that Fletcher wants out, and Spikes has lost a bit of a step, not to mention his unhappiness with the front office in the way they handled Troy Vincents departure.

Romes
01-04-2007, 03:05 PM
exactly. makes you think Crowell knows something.

madness
01-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Crowell is probably moving to the middle since he has been London's backup for the past two seasons. The staff looks to be parting with Fletcher and probably isn't willing to move TKO since he's still not playing up to par.

As of right now it looks like Ellison will be the on the weak side, Crowell in the middle, and Spikes on the strong.

OpIv37
01-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Spikes' playmaking ability is definitely in the past tense. Fletcher's as good as gone and although Ellison has played well an LB corps of Ellison- a hobbled Spikes- Crowell scares the hell out of me.

I hope Marv has a replacement option in mind. At the very least, we need depth. John DiGiorgio isn't going to cut it if one of those guys goes down for significant time.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Crowell is probably moving to the middle since he has been London's backup for the past two seasons. The staff looks to be parting with Fletcher and probably isn't willing to move TKO since he's still not playing up to par.

As of right now it looks like Ellison will be the on the weak side, Crowell in the middle, and Spikes on the strong.

If Spikes is back to form, I don't think it would be a dominant LB corps, but it would probably be a pretty good one. But if Spikes is still slow next year......we'll be in trouble unless we've added an insurance LB through FA or the draft. I don't like our current bench LBs as much more than backups.

justasportsfan
01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Marv will build this team via the draft. I don't mind if Spikes stays but Fletch can go. He stated the bills told him they want him to stay but he B1tches about not getting a contract extension last year. Who the hell did he think was running the team FTP? No one is gonna extend his contract without knowing if he fits the system + his age. No wonder they didn't want to hear the words rebuild. It usually means going with youth.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Spikes' playmaking ability is definitely in the past tense. Fletcher's as good as gone and although Ellison has played well an LB corps of Ellison- a hobbled Spikes- Crowell scares the hell out of me.

I hope Marv has a replacement option in mind. At the very least, we need depth. John DiGiorgio isn't going to cut it if one of those guys goes down for significant time.

I hadn't read your post before posting mine (above). I agree 100%. While I think Spikes is going to be much better next season, it's a big risk to let Fletcher go without adding someone. I like Ellison's potential, and I think that Crowell is a very solid LB, but I don't really see either as dependable playmakers at this stage in the game. I'd love to see us invest a fairly high draft pick on a LB as insurance. Worst comes to worst, he sits on the bench and gets some experience on special teams if Spikes-Crowell-Ellison set the world on fire. Alternatively, if we let Spikes go, I think we need to spend a VERY high pick on an LB, or alternatively grab a Briggs/June caliber LB through FA.

RedEyE
01-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Fletcher-Baker back and Spikes out the door, but that's just me. Plus that would mean throwing London a big diamond studed contract and Spikes is still contracted for another year. Even so, if Fletch wants to work it out, I'm sure the Bills will deal, because we all know that Clements is certainly out the door and the moeny is there (for the most part).

What it boils down to is that the Bills have options. I just don't want to see them caught with there pants around there ankles and deal Spikes, lose Fletcher-Baker, and Clements all in the same year. I just don't think that those holes can all be mended with the draft and free agency.

Kerr
01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Speculation is why you have to like the offseason.

TigerJ
01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I think Fletcher is in the process of burning his bridges behind him as he prepares to leave. I think Spikes was greatly affected by both his achilles and his hamstring problem for a good share of the season. He had astronger games at the very end of the season. i am not writing him off for next year, but neither do I think the Bills can take for granted that he's going to be the Spikes of old when they go to training camp next summer.

I could see the Bills starting Crowell at MLB, and I think he would do a good job. I can also see Ellison and Spikes starting at OLB. After that things are real iffy. Mario Haggan is only useful as a special teamer. He simply can't run fast enough to play LB in the Tampa 2 system. Josh Stamer will be back, but I don't know how useful he will be. That leaves Digiorgio and Roy Manning as depth. Unless they're a lot better than I think they are, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the Bills' depth at LB.

Who knows, maybe Buffalo will find another gem on day two of the draft like Ellison.

jamze132
01-05-2007, 04:05 AM
if Fletcher leaves, I would try my hardest to get Cato June in here. Crowell, June, and Spikes? I could live with that.