PDA

View Full Version : Per PFW

Kerr
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Buffalo (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/)

While the Bills’ Tampa-2 defense worked well against the pass and helped the team get strong contributions from some rookies who were able to grasp the simplified scheme, there is a real fear that the team’s problems stopping the run are not a mirage. The Bills (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast#) gave up 130 or more rushing yards 10 times this season, an alarming number as well as the deciding factor in losses to New England, Detroit, Indianapolis, San Diego and Tennessee. We hear that after allowing 215 rushing yards to the Titans in a playoff-type game in Week 16, the Bills realize they cannot go into the 2007 season with undersized defensive tackles and an undersized middle linebacker like they had in ’06. As a result, word is the Bills have made the run defense a top priority this coming offseason. They’ll definitely be in the market for a run-stuffing defensive tackle, and it’s also likely that they will look to replace MLB London Fletcher with a bigger player.

It's looking more and more like london is on the outs.

EDS
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I could have told them a year ago that the undersized defensive tackle thing was not going to work out.

OpIv37
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Is it just me, or does PFW have a knack for reporting **** we already know?

Kerr
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM

Sometimes **** the fans know is **** the coaches don't realize. Somtimes coaches are clueless even going into the offseason. If this is fact true, then it's a good sign that the coaching staff is in fact not clueless and don't let their pride get in the way of fixing their mistakes.

Romes
01-05-2007, 11:26 AM

thats cause we be good :up:

The last buffalo fan
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Oh ****!!!, I didn't know it. Thanks man :up:

mchurchfie
01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Buffalo (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/)

While the Bills’ Tampa-2 defense worked well against the pass and helped the team get strong contributions from some rookies who were able to grasp the simplified scheme, there is a real fear that the team’s problems stopping the run are not a mirage. The Bills (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast#) gave up 130 or more rushing yards 10 times this season, an alarming number as well as the deciding factor in losses to New England, Detroit, Indianapolis, San Diego and Tennessee. We hear that after allowing 215 rushing yards to the Titans in a playoff-type game in Week 16, the Bills realize they cannot go into the 2007 season with undersized defensive tackles and an undersized middle linebacker like they had in ’06. As a result, word is the Bills have made the run defense a top priority this coming offseason. They’ll definitely be in the market for a run-stuffing defensive tackle, and it’s also likely that they will look to replace MLB London Fletcher with a bigger player.

It's looking more and more like london is on the outs.
That sounds really good I hope it happens.:up:

Philagape
01-05-2007, 02:13 PM

What they're reporting is that the FO wants to do something about it -- which would be a change of direction for them -- and that's the best news I've heard in a long time.

Saratoga Slim
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Yes, they do have that knack. However, in this case it was a good read for me. I'm happy for any indication I can get that we're going to take upgrading the run defense very seriously this offseason.

And I'm also pleased to know that our front office/coaching staff are willing to humbly recognize that their system might need modification. i.e. that two quick but smallish DTs aren't going to cut it against a determined run offense no matter how often they are able to sneak into the backfield. Unless I've got it wrong, adding a big run-stuffing DT would be a notable tweak on the system that they've intended thus far. That sounds a lot better than stubbornly sticking with a system that needs improvement.

ParanoidAndroid
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Teams have figured that out about the Tampa-2. Run in power formations, use inside handoffs and screens.

We need better size at the one-gap DT spot, but I don't think we need a bigger LB in the middle...we need more speed there.

BillsFever21
01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
To bad we didn't draft Ngata. We would already have our big DT.

Instead of taking Ngata and a safety in round two we are left with a good safety and the type of a DT they now wanna get away from.

Our problems could've been solved by just doing the right thing in last years draft. Now we are still searching for a big DT so we don't give up 200 yards rushing every other game.

DynaPaul
01-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Well guys last year we had to go largely with what we already had on defense. So they had to make it work somehow. So yeah, we were stuck with some undersized fellows out there. Marv can only revamp the team a little bit at a time so expect some more changes next year. I think we're on the right track.

HAMMER
01-06-2007, 11:43 AM

They are reporting for the average fan, not those of us who follow our team's every move and watch every minute of every game.

YardRat
01-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Marv's no dummy...I'm sure the run defense is at or close to the top of his priority list.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Well guys last year we had to go largely with what we already had on defense. So they had to make it work somehow. So yeah, we were stuck with some undersized fellows out there. Marv can only revamp the team a little bit at a time so expect some more changes next year. I think we're on the right track.

Anderson was the only DT that wasn't new. Williams needs to add some bulk and get stronger at the point of attack and we need another DT to start in front of him (unless we're lucky and he becomes the dominant DT we need).
Remember...size isn't supposed to matter as much in the Tampa-2...it's more about team speed. We weren't fast enough or big enough. Either we get the speed we need at LB or we go in another direction and get a couple big run stuffers.

feelthepain
01-06-2007, 05:00 PM
What about your 27th ranked passing O and 28th ranked rushing O???

jmb1099
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
What about your 27th ranked passing O and 28th ranked rushing O???
You mean the ones that beat you twice this year?

kernowboy
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Amobi Okoye NT
Paul Posluzny LB
Matt Wilhelm MLB