PDA

View Full Version : This years problem with Free Agency

kernowboy
01-07-2007, 02:21 AM
This year there has been much chatter about how the increase in the cap will possibly allow the Bills to go out and sign some marquee players.

However another trend has occured. Possible signings, young players with upside who could come in and do a very good job, have been signed up long term, a situation made easier by each teams greater cap space. I looking at the following players who were due to become UFA as examples:

EJ Henderson, LB, Vikings, 26years old, signed for 5years at $25m
Matt Wilhelm, LB, Chargers, 25 years, signed for 5 years (undisclosed)

Does the team run the risk of overpaying for possible Free Agents who in fact will be marginal signings due to the reduced choice on the market?

Apart from the Redskins (of course), and maybe the Raiders, how many other teams are perilously close to the cap limit, where they will have to release players for economic and roster management reasons? Most teams have now got sufficient cap space I believe that they can afford to keep a lot of their players so we either have to offer an extraordinary deal/offer which cannot be matched (which carries its very own risks) or have to rely on building the roster through the draft and any OFAs who fall through it.

P.S. I am slightly annoyed about this as Henderson and Wilhelm were 2 players I was recommending to rejeuvenate the LB Corps.

The_Philster
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Does the team run the risk of overpaying for possible Free Agents who in fact will be marginal signings due to the reduced choice on the market?

It's a very good possibility. Lord knows John Butler was an ace at overpaying for players. Donahoe didn't generally overpay. One would hope, in dealing with contracts, we'd be close to Donahoe under Levy and Modrak but when you consider some of the deals that were handed out last year...

alohabillsfan
01-07-2007, 05:23 AM
The prices paid last off season wil pare in comparison to this years market. Clements will get paid 65 mil. Guards are going to get near the hutchinson 49 mil money. I hope Ralph realizes this, the market is what the market is...

kernowboy
01-07-2007, 06:54 AM
I think therefore we need to go for versatile young players with upside.

Considering the LBs mentioned .. Briggs, Thomas and June ... I wonder how much the former two excel by playing with Urlacher and Lewis. If they came here would they be able to replicate this? Regarding June, he is very light and I think with a little seasoning Ellison could be his equal.

I do see us drafting a couple of LBs now and maybe looking at the WR next year .. I could live with

1a Trade down - Posluzny + R3
1b Trade up for Okoye - our R2 + R3
x3 OL
4 a LB like Zak DeOssie from Brown
6 BPA
7 BPA