View Full Version : Bobby Petrino named Falcons HC

BILLSROCK1212
01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

very interesting

any thoughts

YardRat
01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Quick hire. 24mil over 5 years is a lot of money to babysit Vick and be Blank's 'yes' man.

Did you notice the last paragraph?....

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

BILLSROCK1212
01-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Quick hire. 24mil over 5 years is a lot of money to babysit Vick and be Blank's 'yes' man.

Did you notice the last paragraph?....
wow interesting i think that LSU's offensive coordinator wud be best

DraftBoy
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Look for Mike Singletary to be the new DC in Atlanta soon

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Im suprised ATL is going with a college guy... whens the last time one of them worked out?

gil
01-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I think they're making a big mistake - not only have we seen numerous college coaches crash and burn in the NFL - but sending one to deal with a "superstar" like Vick is going to be nothing but trouble IMHO...

BILLSROCK1212
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Look for Mike Singletary to be the new DC in Atlanta sooni dont see him leaving one team to go to another just to get the same position........i see him waiting a a year if he doesnt get a HC job which he will get in the near future

G. Host
01-07-2007, 08:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

very interesting

any thoughts

How many people did they interview?

BILLSROCK1212
01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
How many people did they interview?not many considering they hired Petrino so quickly.......i had no clue he was even a candidate for the job

DraftBoy
01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
not many considering they hired Petrino so quickly.......i had no clue he was even a candidate for the job

Singletary
Whisenhunt
Cameran
Rivera
and Petrino

DraftBoy
01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
i dont see him leaving one team to go to another just to get the same position........i see him waiting a a year if he doesnt get a HC job which he will get in the near future

Well considering he's the LB and Asst HC in SF, he wouldnt be leaving to Atlanta for the same posistion.

Ickybaluky
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Well considering he's the LB and Asst HC in SF, he wouldnt be leaving to Atlanta for the same posistion.

However, SF does not have to let him leave until his contract expires, unless he gets a HC job. The NFL does not distiguish among assistants, and a team does not have to let an assistant leave for a coordinator position, even if it is considered a "step up".

The only way Singletary gets to leave SF is if he gets a HC job or SF allows him out of his contract. Nobody can even interview him without permission.

dolphan117
01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
No link because its coming from the VIP section of Finheaven but apparently Mort is reporting that coaching prospects were being told by Atlanta that if hired they would have the authority to determine Vick future. I'm sure someone here can confirm that.

My first reaction was "Oh crap, let the !!!Trade for Vick!!! threads begin."

TigerJ
01-07-2007, 10:22 PM
If I were Atlanta's GM, I think I might have tried for Mack Brown, head coach at Texas. He did a great job tayloring an offensive system to a nonconventional QB in Vince Young. Since Atlanta some time hitched their wagon to the quintessential nonconventional QB in Michael Vick, They would be better off with a head coach who has proven he can handle the challenge if building a nonconventional offence for a QB who can run.

gr8slayer
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
If I were Atlanta's GM, I think I might have tried for Mack Brown, head coach at Texas. He did a great job tayloring an offensive system to a nonconventional QB in Vince Young. Since Atlanta some time hitched their wagon to the quintessential nonconventional QB in Michael Vick, They would be better off with a head coach who has proven he can handle the challenge if building a nonconventional offence for a QB who can run.
All Brown did for Young is let him play out of the Shotgun. Literally, that's it.

Michael82
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I say this right now.....Matt Schaub will be re-signed by the Falcons and Michael Vick will have one last season to prove he can do it or he'll lose his job to Schaub.

Ron Burgundy
01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
All Brown did for Young is let him play out of the Shotgun. Literally, that's it.

That's because Mack Brown sucks. VY was amazing, though.

There's no reason Texas shouldn't win the title every third or fourth year...except that their coach is godawful.

Anyways, I think Petrino's a good coach but the track record for college guys hasn't been stellar lately.

RedEyE
01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Stupid move by Atlanta. They should have invested more time and thought into this process.

NJFINSFAN1
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
One thing to remember about Petrino, his QB before was Lefors who was a running QB coming out of college and was turned into a QB that a lot of people wanted to draft.

If Vick will listen, and its a big if, he could learn to be something even more special.