• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

What to do with Willis

A few options here:

1) Trade him- OK, but who and for how much? I could see no better than a 3rd rounder as far as a draft pick goes. There are teams that will need RB's, Giants (Tiki's retiring), Broncos (may realize they need a stud RB again), Detroit, Dallas, Minn, ATL all come to mind. Trades for a player wouldnt be bad but are also rare. Also draft a RB high to be our new guy.

2) Draft a high round RB and "push" him. Heres how this could play out. We draft a high round RB like Lynch maybe Bush. Then we make the competition open for the starting job. Willis is in a contract year. Willis will step up or head to the bench, and I dont see him being willing to lose big money in a contract year. He also cant tank on us during the year, knowing we will pull the trigger and bench him. Or, the new draftee simply wins the job and never looks back. If Willis steps up and we dont think our draftee can be the stud #1 we need yet, we can franchise him the next year, if not let him go.

In either case, and for insurance even if Jauron and Co. think Willis is our starter in 07, and that he may leave in FA, I can see us drafting a RB high.

• Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: What to do with Willis

I say get some guys on the line that allow us to also run right and people will change their tone about willis.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Romes
      I say get some guys on the line that allow us to also run right and people will change their tone about willis.
      I don't think so, because I think the problem with Willis is attitude, not skill or talent. When he starts giving 100% every game, then I'll buy this OL argument.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

Extend is contract and overload it w/ incentives. That will get him motivated.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

If Rosenhaus will accept a deal like that.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• RockStar36
            • Sep 2004

True. They always want guaranteed money these days.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I don't think so, because I think the problem with Willis is attitude, not skill or talent. When he starts giving 100% every game, then I'll buy this OL argument.
              I don't buy the attitude arguement. To me its the same as when people would say Losman had a poor attitude when they really had no idea about it. Maybe you can point to him training in Miami but I don't have a big problem with that as long as he is in shape and by all acounts he was going into camp.

I can't really say if he gave 100% every game this year but next year he'll have millions of incentives to give 100% every game. I have confidence that with a little improvement on the OL Willis will return to the form he showed when he first started playing.
              Originally posted by paladin warrior
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• RockStar36
                • Sep 2004

He gave 100% in the Jet game. And he played in serious pain against Jax as well. I personally don't think he has a bad attitude. Training down in Miami isn't really a good reason either considering most Miami players do it.

D & S Sports

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

What makes Willis show up for each Jets game? A back that only shows up twice a year isn't worthy of a lucrative deal.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I don't buy the attitude arguement. To me its the same as when people would say Losman had a poor attitude when they really had no idea about it. Maybe you can point to him training in Miami but I don't have a big problem with that as long as he is in shape and by all acounts he was going into camp.

I can't really say if he gave 100% every game this year but next year he'll have millions of incentives to give 100% every game. I have confidence that with a little improvement on the OL Willis will return to the form he showed when he first started playing.
                    beyond the training camp thing...

did you watch him dance behind the LOS during numerous games this year? Some games he danced, and some games he kept moving forward. And it was the difference between getting -2 yards on a busted play and +2 or 3 yards on a busted play.

I don't know how you can say people have "no idea" about it when it was obvious by what he did on the field.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                      He gave 100% in the Jet game. And he played in serious pain against Jax as well. I personally don't think he has a bad attitude. Training down in Miami isn't really a good reason either considering most Miami players do it.
                      That's 3 games.

We play 16.

And just because most Miami players do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. We had a new OC and a new offensive system this year, yet Willis decides to hang out with his buddies rather than do some work with his team. Yeah he was in shape- and it showed on the field too . He was horrid this year.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

the dolphins have one of the worst run blocking OL and Brown did better than Willis. Don't forget who their OC is. I'm almost sure Henry would've done better than WIllis with this OL.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsNick
                          • Jul 2003

I think we should just have him killed.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsNick
                            I think we should just have him killed.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

I don't know what Willis' problem is.. I like the idea of drafting a RB high, maybe 2nd round, and giving him some competition. He played his best football for the Bills when he had a good back in Henry ahead of him, and then waiting in the wings behind him when Willis got the starting job. And that oline wasn't pretty either - although their strength seemed to be run blocking, whereas this line's seems to be their pass blocking..

I don't think its Willis' attitude necessarily - I think he needs motivation - in my eyes, those are two different things. But that is on him - if he can't get himself motivated at the professional level, then he shouldn't be playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X