PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Willis

X-Era
01-08-2007, 06:45 AM
A few options here:

1) Trade him- OK, but who and for how much? I could see no better than a 3rd rounder as far as a draft pick goes. There are teams that will need RB's, Giants (Tiki's retiring), Broncos (may realize they need a stud RB again), Detroit, Dallas, Minn, ATL all come to mind. Trades for a player wouldnt be bad but are also rare. Also draft a RB high to be our new guy.

2) Draft a high round RB and "push" him. Heres how this could play out. We draft a high round RB like Lynch maybe Bush. Then we make the competition open for the starting job. Willis is in a contract year. Willis will step up or head to the bench, and I dont see him being willing to lose big money in a contract year. He also cant tank on us during the year, knowing we will pull the trigger and bench him. Or, the new draftee simply wins the job and never looks back. If Willis steps up and we dont think our draftee can be the stud #1 we need yet, we can franchise him the next year, if not let him go.

In either case, and for insurance even if Jauron and Co. think Willis is our starter in 07, and that he may leave in FA, I can see us drafting a RB high.

Romes
01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I say get some guys on the line that allow us to also run right and people will change their tone about willis.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
I say get some guys on the line that allow us to also run right and people will change their tone about willis.

I don't think so, because I think the problem with Willis is attitude, not skill or talent. When he starts giving 100% every game, then I'll buy this OL argument.

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Extend is contract and overload it w/ incentives. That will get him motivated.

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
If Rosenhaus will accept a deal like that.

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 08:47 AM
True. They always want guaranteed money these days.

Romes
01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't think so, because I think the problem with Willis is attitude, not skill or talent. When he starts giving 100% every game, then I'll buy this OL argument.

I don't buy the attitude arguement. To me its the same as when people would say Losman had a poor attitude when they really had no idea about it. Maybe you can point to him training in Miami but I don't have a big problem with that as long as he is in shape and by all acounts he was going into camp.

I can't really say if he gave 100% every game this year but next year he'll have millions of incentives to give 100% every game. I have confidence that with a little improvement on the OL Willis will return to the form he showed when he first started playing.

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 08:56 AM
He gave 100% in the Jet game. And he played in serious pain against Jax as well. I personally don't think he has a bad attitude. Training down in Miami isn't really a good reason either considering most Miami players do it.

jamze132
01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
What makes Willis show up for each Jets game? A back that only shows up twice a year isn't worthy of a lucrative deal.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't buy the attitude arguement. To me its the same as when people would say Losman had a poor attitude when they really had no idea about it. Maybe you can point to him training in Miami but I don't have a big problem with that as long as he is in shape and by all acounts he was going into camp.

I can't really say if he gave 100% every game this year but next year he'll have millions of incentives to give 100% every game. I have confidence that with a little improvement on the OL Willis will return to the form he showed when he first started playing.

beyond the training camp thing...

did you watch him dance behind the LOS during numerous games this year? Some games he danced, and some games he kept moving forward. And it was the difference between getting -2 yards on a busted play and +2 or 3 yards on a busted play.

I don't know how you can say people have "no idea" about it when it was obvious by what he did on the field.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
He gave 100% in the Jet game. And he played in serious pain against Jax as well. I personally don't think he has a bad attitude. Training down in Miami isn't really a good reason either considering most Miami players do it.

That's 3 games.

We play 16.

And just because most Miami players do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. We had a new OC and a new offensive system this year, yet Willis decides to hang out with his buddies rather than do some work with his team. Yeah he was in shape- and it showed on the field too :rolleyes:. He was horrid this year.

justasportsfan
01-08-2007, 09:29 AM

the dolphins have one of the worst run blocking OL and Brown did better than Willis. Don't forget who their OC is. I'm almost sure Henry would've done better than WIllis with this OL.

BillsNick
01-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I think we should just have him killed.

JJamezz
01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I think we should just have him killed.

:rofl:

JJamezz
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't know what Willis' problem is.. I like the idea of drafting a RB high, maybe 2nd round, and giving him some competition. He played his best football for the Bills when he had a good back in Henry ahead of him, and then waiting in the wings behind him when Willis got the starting job. And that oline wasn't pretty either - although their strength seemed to be run blocking, whereas this line's seems to be their pass blocking..

I don't think its Willis' attitude necessarily - I think he needs motivation - in my eyes, those are two different things. But that is on him - if he can't get himself motivated at the professional level, then he shouldn't be playing.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
But that is on him - if he can't get himself motivated at the professional level, then he shouldn't be playing.

that's the attitude piece of it.

Gunzlingr
01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I say we include incentives like a free Quiznos sub and an elementary school teacher after each touchdown and 100 yard game.

justasportsfan
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I say we include incentives like a free Quiznos sub and an elementary school teacher after each touchdown and 100 yard game.careful now. Paulb will read into your post.

madness
01-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I say we include incentives like a free Quiznos sub and an elementary school teacher after each touchdown and 100 yard game.

:spit:

kernowboy
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
1) trade him but for a 2008 pick after the draft .. there will be teams who will have wanted but missed on a RB who may then give a little more. With say a R1, and 2xR2 in 2008 we could trade up for Steve Slaton. Like with most drafts there is a considerable fall off after the top 3 RBs

resign A-Train, sign TJ Duckett - he's 25, a decent carry average, loads of size, enough speed, improving as a blocker and receiver and long term could be moved to FB. We play in a cold weather climate - lets get 2 no nonsense grinders here

Draft a scat back on Day2

At the end of the 2007 season decide whether to retain both A-Train and TJ. Have them play for a contract extension. Both are classier guys than Willis ever will be - and look forward to Steve Slaton in 2008

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2007, 01:17 PM
If the Bills go into next season with A-train and Duckett, they will struggle big time.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
If the Bills go into next season with A-train and Duckett, they will struggle big time.

yeah, we probably won't even have a 1000 yard rusher if we do that.

Oh, wait.

Ok, sarcasm aside, I'm not saying that Duckett's the answer, but McGahee either has to step it up or get out of town. The way he's played the last two years is simply not acceptable for a guy who's supposedly an "elite" back.

kernowboy
01-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Duckett is only 25 - the last time he had to carry the load .. he was a load .. he can't be worse than the general piss poor effort Willis brings most Sundays!!

X-Era
01-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Well, in my version it will be either Lynch or Bush that are carrying the ball, so Im not that worried. BOTH break more tackles and gain more yards then McFag-ee.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Just have him train in the off-season with Paternity Lawyers chasing him in a Van around Miami. I'll guarantee he won't be dancing around anymore.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd be pretty happy if we extended WM for a few years and paid him decent money. Backs don't really demand that much moula in FA unless they are named Edge or Alexander. WM is a good back. He's got to do some things better...namely running into the holes quicker and we've got to get him more involved in the receiving game. I'm very disappointed in that last point but I think it's a function of the coaching not WM.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think he should be labeled "without heart" because he trained in miami. He obviously worked hard and didn't slack. He wants to win.

X-Era
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd be pretty happy if we extended WM for a few years and paid him decent money. Backs don't really demand that much moula in FA unless they are named Edge or Alexander. WM is a good back. He's got to do some things better...namely running into the holes quicker and we've got to get him more involved in the receiving game. I'm very disappointed in that last point but I think it's a function of the coaching not WM.

Thanks, but I think Ill vote for someone else for man of the year.

The latest paternity crap just further proves hes not Marv's/our type. Trade him lets move on. Id be willing to give a second chance if he was a 1000 yarder or more this year or if he showed that he wanted to be a leader and would always sacrifice his body on the field for the team.

Hes all about him and his money.

YardRat
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I'll wait and see how he does next year before deciding.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks, but I think Ill vote for someone else for man of the year.

The latest paternity crap just further proves hes not Marv's/our type. Trade him lets move on. Id be willing to give a second chance if he was a 1000 yarder or more this year or if he showed that he wanted to be a leader and would always sacrifice his body on the field for the team.

Hes all about him and his money.

what paternity crap? I've been kind of busy. Please don't say he banged a broad and she's making a stink so he's a bad guy.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I'll wait and see how he does next year before deciding.

the problem with that is we'll have to pay him more.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
what paternity crap? I've been kind of busy. Please don't say he banged a broad and she's making a stink so he's a bad guy.

Hat trick!!!

Typ0
01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Hat trick!!!

what does that mean?

X-Era
01-08-2007, 10:08 PM
what does that mean?

A total of 3, McGahee-lits at this point will probably not see their father or any of his wealth, EVER!

But hey, hes a GREAT guy.

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
3 kids.

3 mothers.

Gunzlingr
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
A total of 3, McGahee-lits at this point will probably not see their father or any of his wealth, EVER!

But hey, hes a GREAT guy.

To be fair, he is paying for the other 2.

X-Era
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
To be fair, he is paying for the other 2.
2 questions:

Are his 2 kids that hes paying for wealthy as well?

Did he pay this money on his own or was he forced to by the court?

Typ0
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
He's a kid...his dick his hard and he's not in denial about it....now he needs to get some common sense.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
2 questions:

Are his 2 kids that hes paying for wealthy as well?

Did he pay this money on his own or was he forced to by the court?

didn't you say that Saint JP threw interceptions because the OLine sucked?

X-Era
01-08-2007, 10:31 PM
didn't you say that Saint JP threw interceptions because the OLine sucked?

Seriously, Im losing respect for you at this point.

I ask question about who the guy IS, what he stands for, and whether that fits the new Bills style. I offer serious allegations about "dodging" your damn children.

And you respond with some sort of tit for tat about Losman and our o-line???

Please. Forget the on field stuff for a moment. Your a father and so am I. The guy makes millions, he has 3 illegit kids (allegedly), how much is he giving to them? How much does he see them? You and I both know what we would do, why cant Willis do the same?

Typ0
01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Seriously, Im losing respect for you at this point.

I ask question about who the guy IS, what he stands for, and whether that fits the new Bills style. I offer serious allegations about "dodging" your damn children.

And you respond with some sort of tit for tat about Losman and our o-line???

Please. Forget the on field stuff for a moment. Your a father and so am I. The guy makes millions, he has 3 illegit kids (allegedly), how much is he giving to them? How much does he see them? You and I both know what we would do, why cant Willis do the same?

honestly, thinking back to when I was in my mid 20s. If I had millions and was a superhero I'd probably do the same thing WM is doing. That being said, I'm very pleased i got myself in a good situation before I had a child. I spent the whole day with her today. It was a great day.

But I think the spirit of the question was legit...how do you decide one player outright sucks and isn't worth it but the rest of them are just a function of the "team"?

HHURRICANE
01-09-2007, 07:59 AM
honestly, thinking back to when I was in my mid 20s. If I had millions and was a superhero I'd probably do the same thing WM is doing.

Really? Screwing people without wearing a condom when there is AIDS, Herpes, etc.? I'll give him a pass on the first kid. Not the next two. If he can't figure it out after the first try than how is he supposed to learn how to be a better player on the field. I am now officially of the mind set that he is playing his last year in Buffalo if we do not trade him!!