PDA

View Full Version : Holliday for DT?

justasportsfan
01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
He's an unrestricted FA . 31 yrs. old. What do you guys think?Clump?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12446

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 09:07 AM
7 sacks from a DT last year? I'll take him.

With his age he'd definitely be a stopgap solution but we need immediate help at DT and he'd be a huge improvement over Jason Jefferson and Tim Anderson.

Pride
01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
288? I dont think so. 300+ only please!

Speed on the DL is fine, as long as we have 1 FAT MoFo who can clog up the middle.

jamze132
01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
We have enough "small" DT's. We need we need fat bastards.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 09:23 AM
We have enough "small" DT's. We need we need fat bastards.
but he's better than at least two of the small dt's that we have. He's not the answer to all the DL's problems, but he's still an upgrade.

X-Era
01-08-2007, 10:02 AM
288? I dont think so. 300+ only please!

Speed on the DL is fine, as long as we have 1 FAT MoFo who can clog up the middle.

Id agree, but that isnt Dicks philosophy, he wants guys with speed. Thats why I like Alan Branch (Mich), hes both big and fast.

JJamezz
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I have a feeling you guys who are expecting the Bills to pick up a mammoth, run stuffing DT this offseason, are going to be sorely disappointed... I personally have no idea if the Tampa2 could be adapted to make that work, it would seem like it could, but I really don't think thats gonna happen.

I think they will be content to find a stud MLB with good size to replace Fletch, and assume that will sorta 'stop the bleeding' in the run d. At DT, they need to find their Warren Sapp (ie another smallish, fast DT, but one who plays bigger, stronger than his size) who probably is not currently on the roster.

The one thing this dline did well this year was pressure the passer - yeah, they weren't as consistent as you'd like.. but they were much improved over the last few years.

Again, I think they are content, and this is part of what the cover2 is designed to do, to allow some run yardage, but don't give up the big passing plays and don't give up a lot of points. They don't need to become a top 5-10 run defense to be successful.

My biggest concern this offseason is can they replace Clements. I don't think they're gonna pay him, and they are probably right in not doing so. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us, his absence could leave a GAPING hole in this defense.

justasportsfan
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
IN the most recent MArv Levy show, Marv said they need to address the run D. So I don't think they are contented with what they have. I'm not so sure either that they think it's the MLB because according to Fletch the bills told him they want him back.

Tatonka
01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
i was under the impression that booger mcfarland and warren sapp were both guys that played around 315 or so.. that seems like a "big" guy to me.

JJamezz
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
IN the most recent MArv Levy show, Marv said they need to address the run D. So I don't think they are contented with what they have. I'm not so sure either that they think it's the MLB because according to Fletch the bills told him they want him back.

I didn't say they're content with the players they have - rather that in this D, they're content - or maybe thats not the right word - they ACCEPT the fact that they're going to give up rushing yards, in exchange for not giving up big plays and points.

And there is a world of difference between telling Fletch they want him back and signing him... Fletchers size IS a liability in this defense.

Stewie
01-08-2007, 11:31 AM
This whole nonsense of calling a 290 pound guy small and a 310 pound guy big is pretty dumb.

They're all fat. Good players make plays.

JJamezz
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
i was under the impression that booger mcfarland and warren sapp were both guys that played around 315 or so.. that seems like a "big" guy to me.

You might be right, I thought Sapp played closer to 300.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
This whole nonsense of calling a 290 pound guy small and a 310 pound guy big is pretty dumb.

They're all fat. Good players make plays.

maybe so, but when you compare a 290 lb guy to a 330 lb guy like Sam Adams or Pat Williams, then the size does come into play.

Most NFL offensive linemen can overpower a 290 lb guy pretty easily- when they start getting up towards 315-320, the matchup becomes much more even.

Tatonka
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
well, when i think of sapp, i see him like pat williams, just not quite as big.. i definately dont picture him like tripplett.

Tatonka
01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
sam adams is 360 ish.. 25 lbs shouldnt make a huge difference.

kernowboy
01-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I wonder if we are looking at Amobi Okoye - 6ft1, 317lbs with speed and huge upside - a Tampa2 DT?

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I have a feeling you guys who are expecting the Bills to pick up a mammoth, run stuffing DT this offseason, are going to be sorely disappointed... I personally have no idea if the Tampa2 could be adapted to make that work, it would seem like it could, but I really don't think thats gonna happen.

I think they will be content to find a stud MLB with good size to replace Fletch, and assume that will sorta 'stop the bleeding' in the run d. At DT, they need to find their Warren Sapp (ie another smallish, fast DT, but one who plays bigger, stronger than his size) who probably is not currently on the roster.

The one thing this dline did well this year was pressure the passer - yeah, they weren't as consistent as you'd like.. but they were much improved over the last few years.

Again, I think they are content, and this is part of what the cover2 is designed to do, to allow some run yardage, but don't give up the big passing plays and don't give up a lot of points. They don't need to become a top 5-10 run defense to be successful.

My biggest concern this offseason is can they replace Clements. I don't think they're gonna pay him, and they are probably right in not doing so. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us, his absence could leave a GAPING hole in this defense.

if the pass rush can be consistent, losing Nate won't be as huge a deal as it initially seemed- notice how both McGee and Clements looked a lot better in the second half of the season when the pass rush got on track.

We may not have to be a top 5-10 run D but we need to do better than 28th, which is where we ended up this year. We need a tournequet to stop the bleeding, and you're talking about trying to use band-aids.

Football games are run in the trenches and our DL needs to get beefed up against the run NOW or else next year won't look much different than this year.

Bmax
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Ian Scott.....Glen Dorsey Or okoye.... one of them will be playing DT next year for us

Bmax

Bmax
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Here is some info on scott.....

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/player.asp?player_id=72

Bmax

jamze132
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
but he's better than at least two of the small dt's that we have. He's not the answer to all the DL's problems, but he's still an upgrade.
I get your point but I still say no. We still have a big unknown in McCargo. I would love to dump Anderson and pick up a big boy to replace him. Then we should see where we stand.

Saratoga Slim
01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Ian Scott.....Glen Dorsey Or okoye.... one of them will be playing DT next year for us

Bmax

Bmax, I would be happy with any of the above. Okoye looks really interesting. On one hand, considering he's so young, you'd think that he'd be more of a longer term solution than an immediate impact player. But he sure hasn't played in college like he's 3 years younger than the other seniors. Sounds like he has an enormous upside. Marv character guy too.

Glenn Dorsey looked great against ND.

Ian Scott would also be a nice addition, and probably more likely to make an immediate contribution than the rookies.

Either way, three good options, and I'm sure there are more. I think we can get what we need.

Bert102176
01-08-2007, 11:00 PM
even some 320 -360 lb guys can move fast so this size thing is bs I don't care about a players size all that matters to me is that when it comes down to it he can make the play.

!Papacrunk!
01-09-2007, 06:22 AM
I hope we keep Holliday, but at least we have some good prospects in our young 'uns if we don't re-sign Holliday. As Jason Taylor said before, Holliday was one of the unsung heroes on our line that is not only a great positive locker room guy, but really gives it his all on the field. Class act.

LtFinFan66
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I can't believe this thread is on page 2 and noone has said "We don't want some reject from the Fins"....you guys are letting me down :sad:

HHURRICANE
01-09-2007, 08:15 AM

I just read that they don't want him back because he's too small and doesn't make tackles at the point of attack.