PDA

View Full Version : "Home" game in Germany??

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
NEW YORK (AP) San Francisco, Seattle and Miami were among six NFL teams selected as potential home teams for a regular-season game next year in Britain or Germany.

The other teams that could ``host'' the game are Buffalo, Kansas City and New Orleans. The league also narrowed the sites for the game Monday, eliminating Canada and Mexico for this year.

http://www.theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=4819

How the hell did we get mixed up in this? You'd think only big market teams usually get chosen for this kind of showcasing?

Michael82
01-08-2007, 02:20 PM

How the hell did we get mixed up in this? You'd think only big market teams usually get chosen for this kind of showcasing?
4 blackouts. :::

Blame the local fairweather fans that were too busy shelling out money for the Sabres games and forgot about the Bills, even when they were hot. :ill:

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Britain or Germany? That's like a 5 hour flight each way- if the NFL ****s us out of a home game like that, I hope they at least have the decency to give us our bye the week before to get prepared.

But I doubt that will happen- more than likely, we'll have two away games, then the "home" game on the other side of the pond, then we'll have to come back to play the Pats in Foxboro in a night game coming off their bye.

YardRat
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Blame the quality of the product on the field and the local economy, first.

Most can't afford both, and the Sabres are a helluva lot more productive AND entertaining.

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
But I doubt that will happen- more than likely, we'll have two away games, then the "home" game on the other side of the pond, then we'll have to come back to play the Pats in Foxboro in a night game coming off their bye.
I wouldn't be surprised. :ill:

Michael82
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM

Most can't afford both, and the Sabres are a helluva lot more productive AND entertaining.
what you just described constitutes as a fair weather fan. We always considered ourselves diehard andtalked about we have one of the best fan bases in the country. Well, guess what? We were wrong. the bills finished 19th in average attendance in the league and dropped 6% in total attendance for the year. :ill: The product on the field was not that bad. People had a while to get tickets, but chose not to. The worst part was seeing all the idiots that expected other people to buy tickets and sell out the game for them, go to the Bills store each week at the last minute just so they can see the game.

The_Philster
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
It's not that we were wrong about having one of the best fanbases...it's just that the truly devoted fans are fewer in number than we thought.

Michael82
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
It's not that we were wrong about having one of the best fanbases...it's just that the truly devoted fans are fewer in number than we thought.
exactly.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
what you just described constitutes as a fair weather fan. We always considered ourselves diehard andtalked about we have one of the best fan bases in the country. Well, guess what? We were wrong. the bills finished 19th in average attendance in the league and dropped 6% in total attendance for the year. :ill: The product on the field was not that people. People had a while to get tickets, but chose not to. The worst part was seeing all the idiots that expected other people to buy tickets and sell out the game for them, go to the Bills store each week at the last minute just so they can see the game.

the worst part was the drop over last year- as bad as we were at times this year, we were still better than last year. And at least we were still technically in it until week 16- last year, we were eliminated in November. Yet we still sold more tickets- wtf?

Ickybaluky
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
There are going to be more overseas games in the coming seasons, and they will rotate teams so everyone will be effected.

Hey, the Pats play a preseason game in China next year.

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
what you just described constitutes as a fair weather fan. We always considered ourselves diehard andtalked about we have one of the best fan bases in the country. Well, guess what? We were wrong. the bills finished 19th in average attendance in the league and dropped 6% in total attendance for the year. :ill: The product on the field was not that people. People had a while to get tickets, but chose not to. The worst part was seeing all the idiots that expected other people to buy tickets and sell out the game for them, go to the Bills store each week at the last minute just so they can see the game.

If I'm understanding this correctly, everyone but about 10 people on this board are fairweather fans.

In order to prove how much of a fan you are you have to either buy season tickets to the Bills and/or burn every single new Sabres logo you see. (or shoot someone in the face if you see them wearing the new logo).

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with an overseas game, except it is counted against them as a home game.

jamze132
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I am telling you, most of the so called fans in Buffalo are taking for granted the fact that there actualy is an NFL team there. They are going to be the first ones to whine, cry, moan, groan, *****, and complain when they are gone. If you live anywhere remotely close to Buffalo, and you give too ****s whether or not Buffalo has an NFL team, you better buy yourself some goddman mother ****ing tickets!

jamze132
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I am telling you, most of the so called fans in Buffalo are taking for granted the fact that there actualy is an NFL team there. They are going to be the first ones to whine, cry, moan, groan, *****, and complain when they are gone. If you live anywhere remotely close to Buffalo, and you give too ****s whether or not Buffalo has an NFL team, you better buy yourself some damn mother ****ing tickets!

And by the way, sicne I live in Italy for the next couple of years, I would be more than happy to buy a plane ticket and game ticket to see the Bills play in either England or Germany. There is a BillsBackers in Italy too!

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
There are going to be more overseas games in the coming seasons, and they will rotate teams so everyone will be effected.

preseason? Who gives a ****? It doesn't count.

Forcing teams to play overseas games that count in the standings is rough, especially since it's not equal- only two teams will be affected.

Losing that "home" game overseas by 2 points could be the difference between making the playoffs or not making the playoffs, or getting a home game in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the NFL is wasting their money. I know they're trying to increase their fan base, but it's easier said than done. Football is a complicated game and 1-2 games a year in a country with no history with the game isn't going to win over too many people.

CuseJetsFan83
01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
well do remember britain and germany were some of the foundations for WLAF later nfl europe, with almost all the teams currently in germany.

at least their not trying to play in france, russia, and south america

BAM
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Achtung!

Gunzlingr
01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
If we play in the UK, do we get to play against the London Silly Nannies?

CuseJetsFan83
01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
If we play in the UK, do we get to play against the London Silly Nannies?

is that before or after peter tries to have sex with brokeback brady?

CuseJetsFan83
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I am telling you, most of the so called fans in Buffalo are taking for granted the fact that there actualy is an NFL team there. They are going to be the first ones to whine, cry, moan, groan, *****, and complain when they are gone. If you live anywhere remotely close to Buffalo, and you give too ****s whether or not Buffalo has an NFL team, you better buy yourself some goddman mother ****ing tickets!

being a jets fan, its my obligation to go to buffalo based on close proximity, if i was a bills fan, i'd most likely be a season ticket holder........ yeah it may be one of the "older" stadiums, but i love it there..... (minus douchebaggery and alcohol abuse)

cocamide
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
How about we bring back Tom Donahoe to market the team but not act as a GM? The one thing he could do was sell tickets.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
How about we bring back Tom Donahoe to market the team but not act as a GM? The one thing he could do was sell tickets.

not a bad idea, but with his ego I doubt he'd accept the demotion.

Plus, we'd have to hear this from Marv Levy in the draft day war room:
"Dammit Tom, I'm not drafting another 'high motor' DE coming off knee surgery- now quit tying up the line- I'm trying to get Detroit on the line so I can pick Jarrett and trade him for the rest of their draft".

The_Philster
01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
he did that by lying to the fans...and in the end, he was about to cost us ticket sales. I think we would've had more trouble selling tickets this year if he had still been in charge. I know a bunch of season ticket holders in my section who were talking about not renewing after TD's sign confiscations

YardRat
01-08-2007, 03:11 PM

If you're so hot to keep the Bills in Buffalo via ticket sales, why don't you buy a couple of seasons and donate them to a WNY charity?

Put your money where your mouth is.

OpIv37
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
If you're so hot to keep the Bills in Buffalo via ticket sales, why don't you buy a couple of seasons and donate them to a WNY charity?

The OpIv37 Cheapskate Fund is now accepting ticket donations.

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
not a bad idea, but with his ego I doubt he'd accept the demotion.

Plus, we'd have to hear this from Marv Levy in the draft day war room:
"Dammit Tom, I'm not drafting another 'high motor' DE coming off knee surgery- now quit tying up the line- I'm trying to get Detroit on the line so I can pick Jarrett and trade him for the rest of their draft".
I wouldn't let Donahoe near that draft room at all.

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
The OpIv37 Cheapskate Fund is now accepting ticket donations.
When it comes to being a cheapskate you got nothing on me. :rolleyes:

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM

It's easier to criticize people blindly without backing up words.

Gunzlingr
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
When it comes to being a cheapskate you got nothing on me. :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth. MM makes Ebenezer Scrooge look like a spendthrift!

M
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
What is this? Maybe it should be called the "IFL" ... International Football League. How are they going to consider that a home game? They going to fly the season ticket holders over to Europe?

RedEyE
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I reallly don't mind the Bills having to go overseas to play a real football game for those tea drinking cream puffs, but why on Earth does it have to be a home game?? This totally screw the fans over and local business.

Why not just have each team that has to play give up an away game?? Wouldn't that make more sense? This way neither team gets screwed out of a home game. Seems ****ing simple if you ask me.

The last buffalo fan
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">NEW YORK (AP) San Francisco, Seattle and Miami were among six NFL teams selected as potential home teams for a regular-season game next year in Britain or Germany.

The other teams that could ``host'' the game are Buffalo, Kansas City and New Orleans. The league also narrowed the sites for the game Monday, eliminating Canada and Mexico for this year.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

**** you, No ****ing Losers league!!!! Puedes besar mi trasero y comer mi chorizo!!!! :madmad:

:ill: I was real close to my biggest dream, to watch my beloved team LIVE!!!! :teary:

Michael82
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
:bf1: :bf1:

Great post!

justasportsfan
01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
the bills should play Englands rugby team.

Philagape
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I reallly don't mind the Bills having to go overseas to play a real football game for those tea drinking cream puffs, but why on Earth does it have to be a home game?? This totally screw the fans over and local business.

Why not just have each team that has to play give up an away game?? Wouldn't that make more sense? This way neither team gets screwed out of a home game. Seems ****ing simple if you ask me.

Every team can't play 8 home games and 7 away games.

Like NE39 said, every team will eventually be affected. It's a 16-year rotating plan, during which time all 32 teams will lose a home game. At least we would get ours out of the way early.

Cntrygal
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I have ZERO interest of the NFL playing overseas. I don't even like preseason or exhibition games played overseas.

IMO, this is just another way for the jackasses running things to get paid vacations overseas for free.

RedEyE
01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Every team can't play 8 home games and 7 away games.

Like NE39 said, every team will eventually be affected. It's a 16-year rotating plan, during which time all 32 teams will lose a home game. At least we would get ours out of the way early.

Every team plays 8 home games and 8 away games. Just make each team use one of their "Away" games for the Euro game. What's so hard about that?

CuseJetsFan83
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
well for one of those teams they will have to be home and another away......

RedEyE
01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
well for one of those teams they will have to be home and another away......

How's that? Flip a stupid coin when you get there, but leave it on the schedule as an Away game fr both teams. The only way I condone this is if the NFL allows all US service men and women in Europe, free access to the game. Otherwise, this is a crock.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 08:19 PM
some people call them fairweather fans and others call them smart. The fact that the income base is lower here says a lot and it's not just about the Bills product. The fact is in places where there is huge amounts of disposable income the NFL will not see the impact of the travesty they call a league but here they will. They don't really care about what their customers think because they think they have an immature product and are going to expand overseas. And by expansion I'm talking about putting teams in europe, mexico and canada not playing a couple games there.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
they did say another team not on the list could be the away team...but I would not be surprised to see the bills fins game played in london.

The_Philster
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
they did say another team not on the list could be the away team...but I would not be surprised to see the bills fins game played in london.
:ill: I was gonna say they'd keep it an out-of division game...for the sake of rivalries...then I remembered the Mexico City game...Card-49ers, if i'm not mistaken...NFC West...but in the case of Bills-Fish, I do think that's big enough for the NFL to refrain from moving it

Philagape
01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Every team plays 8 home games and 8 away games. Just make each team use one of their "Away" games for the Euro game. What's so hard about that?

Do the math. Every game is a home game for one team and an away game for another. Therefore there must be the same number of home games and away games leaguewide. You can't just take away an "away" game, because that's a home game for someone else.

G. Host
01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Doing the away games for two teams would take away games from four teams. Some people are making it sound like you could just take away all of the away games and have everyone have just home games.

And there were a lot of reasons for poor sales of Bills in 2006 - poor start, late starting schedule at home, schedule with heavy home schedule post Thanksgiving, the new "we can move a game anytime we want, screw the fans" attitude of NFL, the tremendious October storm which some people are still paying for, etc.

Blaming poor fan support is just people *****ing..

Nighthawk
01-08-2007, 08:36 PM

People can afford it...that is such an overused excuse. The fact is, fans are tired of spending the cash on a team that has not put a good team on the field in years! If I know a movie is bad, I'm not going to spend 10 bucks to go see it...plain and simple. I don't judge people because they decided that they could spend their money somewhere else and get more bang for their buck. People who criticize these fans and call them fair weather, don't have a clue what they are talking about. Maybe, just maybe, people are sick of watching this team lose. If Ralphy decides to spend some cash to address some of the holes on this team, then I bet you'll see people fill the stadium. Listen, it goes both ways...the fans will show some effort to sellout the stadium when Ralph puts some effort into building a championship team. That is the reason for the blackouts...PERIOD!

Typ0
01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
:ill: I was gonna say they'd keep it an out-of division game...for the sake of rivalries...then I remembered the Mexico City game...Card-49ers, if i'm not mistaken...NFC West...but in the case of Bills-Fish, I do think that's big enough for the NFL to refrain from moving it

big to you doesn't mean big to everyone. Free agency has killed the rivalries. It's a typical december game that didn't sell out. How much of a rivalry can it be if it doesn't sell out?

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
4 blackouts. :::

Blame the local fairweather fans that were too busy shelling out money for the Sabres games and forgot about the Bills, even when they were hot. :ill:
Enough already with this ****!

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I thought having to go to Toronto for a home game was going to be a pain but Germany???? Good thing I am a Bugenhagen!

LtFinFan66
01-09-2007, 04:39 AM
BEERFEST!!!!!!

jamze132
01-09-2007, 05:23 AM

Put my money where my mouth is? I have bought and continue to buy Bills tickets for friends in the area who can't afford to go. I send them on my behalf since I used to live in Lockport and can't directly support the Bills anymore. Does that work for you?

Typ0
01-09-2007, 05:26 AM
it doesn't really matter where the games are played....if you are a real fan you will go.

jamze132
01-09-2007, 05:29 AM
So how many convicted felons or players on parole in the NFL? Good luck getting a passport.

Captain gameboy
01-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Britain or Germany? That's like a 5 hour flight each way- if the NFL ****s us out of a home game like that, I hope they at least have the decency to give us our bye the week before to get prepared.

It would be about 8 hrs to the UK, 9 to a German city.
I volunteer to fly the fan charter over/back.

RedEyE
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Do the math. Every game is a home game for one team and an away game for another. Therefore there must be the same number of home games and away games leaguewide. You can't just take away an "away" game, because that's a home game for someone else.

So it's "OK" to move the times of games at the last second or days before a game, but considered "not fair" to make an overseas game away for both parties? I don't but it. Double standard there and the fans are the ones always getting screwed.

RedEyE
01-09-2007, 11:01 AM
it doesn't really matter where the games are played....if you are a real fan you will go.

So are you going to fork over the $1000 round trip plane ticket, hotel costs, and ground transportation to go? Is the game at least included in your season ticket package? Doubtful....

Michael82
01-09-2007, 11:03 AM
People can afford it...that is such an overused excuse. The fact is, fans are tired of spending the cash on a team that has not put a good team on the field in years! If I know a movie is bad, I'm not going to spend 10 bucks to go see it...plain and simple. I don't judge people because they decided that they could spend their money somewhere else and get more bang for their buck. People who criticize these fans and call them fair weather, don't have a clue what they are talking about. Maybe, just maybe, people are sick of watching this team lose. If Ralphy decides to spend some cash to address some of the holes on this team, then I bet you'll see people fill the stadium. Listen, it goes both ways...the fans will show some effort to sellout the stadium when Ralph puts some effort into building a championship team. That is the reason for the blackouts...PERIOD!
here's the definition of "fair-weather," What you said pretty much describes a "fair-weather fan."

fair-weath&#183;er (f&#226;r'wěth'ər)
<!--BOF_HEAD-->adj. <!--EOF_HEAD--> <!--BOF_DEF-->

Present and dependable only in good times: fair-weather friends.

NJFINSFAN1
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Maybe the bird flu will hit the Pats!:candle:

Typ0
01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
So are you going to fork over the $1000 round trip plane ticket, hotel costs, and ground transportation to go? Is the game at least included in your season ticket package? Doubtful....

I'm going to have to because I live in Buffalo and want to watch the game. I expect the NFL will apply the blackout rules to this game and the game will be blacked out in the local broadcast area when it doesn't sell out in Europe.

Michael82
01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fair+weather+fan

RedEyE
01-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm going to have to because I live in Buffalo and want to watch the game. I expect the NFL will apply the blackout rules to this game and the game will be blacked out in the local broadcast area when it doesn't sell out in Europe.

:rofl:

jamze132
01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
If the Bills indeed do come to Europe, I do expect to see some of you at the tailgate party. We could even plan to stay at the same hotel and sit in the same section.

Bill Brasky
01-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they took away the Miami home game from us... not at all.

Nighthawk
01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
here's the definition of "fair-weather," What you said pretty much describes a "fair-weather fan."

fair-weath·er (fâr'wěth'ər)
<!--BOF_HEAD-->adj. <!--EOF_HEAD--> <!--BOF_DEF-->

Present and dependable only in good times: fair-weather friends.

"Fair weather" fans are fans who switch allegiance when things get bad, not a person who decides he/she wants changes and the only way to show it is to not "waste" their money on a poor product. I think you're a little off base on your interpretation of a "fair weather" fan. These people aren't jumping on the bandwagon of another team, they are showing their displeasure with their favorite team. Let's put this in football terms. If a player is not performing and wants a new contract, but the team decides he isn't worth the money he is asking for, should that team pay it? Of course not and we wouldn't expect the team to pay it. Now, let's look at it from a fan's perspective. If the product is continually bad, but the owner still wants you to pay for the product, should we not have the right to say no? Of course people have the right to say no. That does not make them a "fair weather" fan, it makes them a frustrated fan. IMO

SABuffalo786
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
those tea drinking cream puffs

I'd like to see you say that to some of their Soccer Hooligans. :D

What a terrible idea this would be. No one outside the US and parts of Canada gives a **** about the NFL.

BILLSROCK1212
01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
i think they game will be us v the Giants if it happens which it prob wont

HHURRICANE
01-09-2007, 09:04 PM

You meant screwing!! We want to stay away from this!!!