PDA

View Full Version : "In Buffalo, a trend could be developing"

YardRat
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
http://packers.scout.com/2/607707.html

In Buffalo, a trend could be developing. The Bills failed to sell out their final four games despite being in playoff pouncing position and facing intriguing foes: Jacksonville, 'LT' and San Diego, arch-rival Miami, and Vince Young (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=8&c=1&nid=2539821)’s Tennessee Titans.

So how do a slew of blackouts sweep through a competitive team?
Just a hunch but maybe fans are growing sick of paying outrageous ticket prices to see players pump their chests after gaining a first down while their team trails by 14. The quality of the game hasn’t eroded, rather fans’ perception of the NFL attitude. Maybe throwing a whole Sunday away simply isn’t worth it anymore. With the media in full force today, fans don’t need to attend a game. They can simply log on to the Internet and have the score fall in their lap.
Have blue-collar Bills fans really grown disgusted by the way players act and taken a stand? Could be. If the NFL isn’t careful, this trend will continue into more markets. Harsher fines and suspensions for off-field crimes and on-field antics are the only way to steer the NFL away from the NBA’s dismal path. Unfortunately, the actions of select athletes overshadow the good that many do like the New Orleans Saints' charity work after Hurricane Katrina, or hundreds of other athletes who work with state and local charities near their
NFL team.

Mr. Cynical
01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Good article

RockStar36
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Are we sure it isn't fairweather fans?

From what I can see the Bills have a larger stadium than most and a smaller area to sell all those tickets.

The Bills/Dolphins paid attendance was higher than any of the 4 wild card games this weekend. The Jags,Fish, and Chargers game had a high paid attendance than the Colts game.

RedEyE
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Whatever. Or maybe it's because the majority of Buffalo can't handle buying Sabres tickets, Bills tickets and still have the money to get through the holidays.

4 ****ing home games in a row between the two biggest holidays of the year, with a hot local hockey team selling out every game.

They can stick this article up their ass.

T-Long
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't agree. I think its the fact that the product on the field has been horrible. We haven't made the playoffs in 7 seasons. I don't blame some of the fans for not coming out, b/c people are just sick and tired of losing. We are too proud of a franchise to be so average the past 7 seasons.

I doubt it has anything to do with a player pumping his chest after a first down. That is just ridiculous.

G. Host
01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
4 ****ing home games in a row between the two biggest holidays of the year, with a hot local hockey team selling out every game.

This is the third time I have seen this posted. It was not 4 games in a row for their was a Jets game in the middle. Four home games between Thanksgiving and Christmas was either poor scheduling or very good targeted scheduling by NFL.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
http://packers.scout.com/2/607707.html

I've been saying this for a year now.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't agree. I think its the fact that the product on the field has been horrible. We haven't made the playoffs in 7 seasons. I don't blame some of the fans for not coming out, b/c people are just sick and tired of losing. We are too proud of a franchise to be so average the past 7 seasons.

I doubt it has anything to do with a player pumping his chest after a first down. That is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's rediculous. What's rediculous is seeing a player pump his chest when his team is getting blown out. What's rediculous is seeing rising expenses (not just ticket prices) and the NFL taking zero responsiblity for the status of the referring in the game. I liken the NFL to a political regime whose sole spin with the public is to cover their asses instead of being on the up and up and it is going to impact the view of the league in the consumers eyes.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I think it's both. The NFL is going the way of the NBA. For example the NFL Network is an incestuous ridiculous aberation of the greedy league. Second the Bills fans were smart enough to know this wasn't a playoff team and decided to stay home. I guarantee we would have sold out a playoff game at home. Let's see how our attendance compares to teams that have gone 37-43 over the last 5 years.

Dozerdog
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Tired of outrageous ticket prices? $40 is outrageous?

We are disgusted over players thumping their chests every play? WTF is he talking about? What Bills players are out there showboating when we are down 14 points?

Looks like another "filler" article. Something to put up just to fill pages.

Typ0
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM

We are disgusted over players thumping their chests every play? WTF is he talking about? What Bills players are out there showboating when we are down 14 points?

the article is saying the culture of the NFL is turning off people not specific plays with "bills players beating their chests". It doesn't matter what team you are watching....when they are losing by 20 pionts and have made zero plays in the first three quarters...and then they finally make a play and have an orgasm on the field that is a very poor display of emotion.

It's this part of the NFL culture that turns people off to the NFL...and if people are turned off to the NFL that will flow right down to people being turned off to the Bills...and that is the point of the article. That since it's a smaller market team we are just seeing the effects here first but they will begin to show up in larger markets as we go forward and the NFL will have a smaller piece of the sports and entertainment marketing share unless they make adjustment.

as far as the ticket prices go...a $4 increase on a $40 ticket is ten percent which is a huge increase. As far as the bills go, didn't they double the cost of parking and increase the concessions? Yeah, it's only 40 bucks...but it's still ten percent if they raise it to 44. That might be a small part of your yearly income where you are blinded by the fact that it's ten percent which is a huge increase. at that rate tickets will be a hundred bucks before you know it.

Ebenezer
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM

yet people still watch.....complete filler.

Throne Logic
01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I'd love to see some stats related to out of town fans who chose not to plan the trip this year due to the possibility of being Flexed to a time that would be incompatible with long distance travel plans.

As I've said previously. I'll never buy a ticket for a game that has a chance to be moved. Too expensive to risk it and I can't get my small group to all take a three day weekend just in case it gets moved to the night game.

ParanoidAndroid
01-09-2007, 04:04 AM
I'd love to see some stats related to out of town fans who chose not to plan the trip this year due to the possibility of being Flexed to a time that would be incompatible with long distance travel plans.

As I've said previously. I'll never buy a ticket for a game that has a chance to be moved. Too expensive to risk it and I can't get my small group to all take a three day weekend just in case it gets moved to the night game.

I'd be willing to bet there were a few thousand other fans in the same boat. I would be one of them.

Typ0
01-09-2007, 05:30 AM
yet people still watch.....complete filler.

another person who either didn't read the article or can't read one of the two...and it's a silly thing to say. Millions of people watch the NFL...of course people are going to watch you don't lose your entire customer base over night. The question is do all of these shennanigans have an impact on the amount of people who watch/support and the passion for the game the fans have?

Typ0
01-09-2007, 05:31 AM

good point...and another indication the NFL are money grubbing scumbags who are going to get bitten in the ass.

Night Train
01-09-2007, 05:46 AM
I see many missed the point of this article.

Have blue-collar Bills fans really grown disgusted by the way players act and taken a stand? Could be. If the NFL isn’t careful, this trend will continue into more markets. Harsher fines and suspensions for off-field crimes and on-field antics are the only way to steer the NFL away from the NBA’s dismal path. Unfortunately, the actions of select athletes overshadow the good that many do like the New Orleans Saints' charity work after Hurricane Katrina, or hundreds of other athletes who work with state and local charities near their NFL team.

They used the Bills to make a point about the borderline fan and how they view the antics of the players as being a deciding factor on whether or not they purchase tickets. Hell, the media glorifies the TO's of the league and ignores many a good player who doesn't constantly draw attention to themselves with outrageous behavior, on and off the field. That's all the article intends to say.

Now go ahead and agree or disagree with it.

I think many points are valid and why I tend to gravitate more towards College ball as a whole, where the Coach can still bench any player and the hot dog mentality is minimal, along with the constant talk of $$ among owners and players.The fans are secondary in the NFL mindset, as the corporate $$ seems more important. I watch the Bills but mostly College ball outside of that.

If the Bills leave town, goodbye NFL. My Sundays are free. Football is Saturday.

Typ0
01-09-2007, 05:57 AM
I see many missed the point of this article.

Have blue-collar Bills fans really grown disgusted by the way players act and taken a stand? Could be. If the NFL isn’t careful, this trend will continue into more markets. Harsher fines and suspensions for off-field crimes and on-field antics are the only way to steer the NFL away from the NBA’s dismal path. Unfortunately, the actions of select athletes overshadow the good that many do like the New Orleans Saints' charity work after Hurricane Katrina, or hundreds of other athletes who work with state and local charities near their NFL team.

They used the Bills to make a point about the borderline fan and how they view the antics of the players as being a deciding factor on whether or not they purchase tickets. Hell, the media glorifies the TO's of the league and ignores many a good player who doesn't constantly draw attention to themselves with outrageous behavior, on and off the field. That's all the article intends to say.

Now go ahead and agree or disagree with it.

I think many points are valid and why I tend to gravitate more towards College ball as a whole, where the Coach can still bench any player and the hot dog mentality is minimal, along with the constant talk of $$ among owners and players.The fans are secondary in the NFL mindset, as the corporate $$ seems more important. I watch the Bills but mostly College ball outside of that.

If the Bills leave town, goodbye NFL. My Sundays are free. Football is Saturday.

it's a sad thing that the college product is better than the professional product but it is. No people, I do understand the talent level is not the same...but the product is better at the college level.

TigerJ
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I think the explanation for the four games that did not sell out is obvious if not simple.

1. There was fan fallout from the failed Donahoe years, fed up fans who finally this year chose not to renew season tickets. As a result, the season ticket sales fell this past season. It was not a large drop, but large enough to have an impact.

2. The Sabres had a terrific playoff run in the spring of '06 which strengthened their fan base and caused their season ticket sales to spike for the '06-'07 season. It is safe to assume that some of the increase in Sabres season tickets came from among fans who also are fans of the Bills. With limited dollars, they chose to spend on the sport where they have better odds of seeing a winner this year since the Sabres are thought to be strong contenders for the Stanley Cup this season.

3. The blacked out games came during the part of the season where the weather can be less than delightful. There were no big snow storms, but some of the games took place with wind and rain. If you attend only a few games each year, you'll probably be more likely to choose warmer weather games.

4. The blacked out games occured during the part of the season when there is more competition for time and dollars from family and holiday activities.

I think the promising season the Bills had in '06 will lead to a modest increase in season ticket sales this offseason, and one to three blacked out games next season versus the four that happened this past season

BillsFever21
01-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Whatever. Or maybe it's because the majority of Buffalo can't handle buying Sabres tickets, Bills tickets and still have the money to get through the holidays.

They can stick this article up their ass.

Would you be saying that if we were 6-4 going into them games and then had nice home field advantage to finish out the playoff run? There is no big conspiracy with the NFL trying to screw us so we'll move.

I remember in years past how people *****ed that we hardly had any home games in November and December and some of the home games we did have were against northern teams anyway, especially Miami. The NFL was trying to screw us by taking away our home field advantage some of you were saying.

Now this year we finish out the season with home field advantage against many southern teams and now some are crying about this. Some of your are just never happy about the schedule no matter what. The same people ***** about the schedule every single year.

Had we been good enough to be 6-4 going into them games and finish with a 11-5 or 10-6 record because of all the nice home games we had to end the year against warm weather teams I don't think anybody would be complaining.

If the schedule would've been reversed and we had 4 road games and 2 home games(both against warm weather teams) to end the season you would be complaining about how we got screwed then.

Michael82
01-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Would you be saying that if we were 6-4 going into them games and then had nice home field advantage to finish out the playoff run? There is no big conspiracy with the NFL trying to screw us so we'll move.

I remember in years past how people *****ed that we hardly had any home games in November and December and some of the home games we did have were against northern teams anyway, especially Miami. The NFL was trying to screw us by taking away our home field advantage some of you were saying.

Now this year we finish out the season with home field advantage against many southern teams and now some are crying about this. Some of your are just never happy about the schedule no matter what. The same people ***** about the schedule every single year.

Had we been good enough to be 6-4 going into them games and finish with a 11-5 or 10-6 record because of all the nice home games we had to end the year against warm weather teams I don't think anybody would be complaining.

If the schedule would've been reversed and we had 4 road games and 2 home games(both against warm weather teams) to end the season you would be complaining about how we got screwed then.
Excellent post! It kills me how everyone is *****ing about the 4 home games in the final 6 weeks. When the Bills were good, we would have LOVED it. Think of it this way, homefield advantage and a nice winter storm on December 17th to freeze the fish. :drool:

Or how about beating the Titans at home to clinch a playoff spot.... :pray:

That's what we have always been begging for. The last couple years we haven't been getting these late games and haven't been able to use our homefield advantage, now when we do, people use it as an excuse not to go. :shakeno:

Typ0
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM

the reason we took a hit is because the games were scheduled on christmas and new years eve. The fact that games don't sell out when we aren't a winning team goes back years so that was no major anomoly this season.

Typ0
01-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Excellent post! It kills me how everyone is *****ing about the 4 home games in the final 6 weeks. When the Bills were good, we would have LOVED it. Think of it this way, homefield advantage and a nice winter storm on December 17th to freeze the fish. :drool:

Or how about beating the Titans at home to clinch a playoff spot.... :pray:

That's what we have always been begging for. The last couple years we haven't been getting these late games and haven't been able to use our homefield advantage, now when we do, people use it as an excuse not to go. :shakeno:

again, the position of the writer is that the NFL is doing things that are hurting them with the fans and that hurt is carrying down into situations like the bills had this season. If more and more people are being turned off by the league then it's going to be harder to sell those tickets during crunch time because people just aren't as interested. It's not about people *****ing about the schedule it's about the NFL doing things to hurt itself and then further punishing the fans for those activities.

And if people come in here and say those things don't matter I say that's a load of crap. Just in this thread alone, with only ten or so posters there are people saying they agree. There are people that have clearly indicated the flex schedule, poor officiating and blatant displays of stupidity (among other things) have hurt ticket sales...and we all know the bills fan base is more widely dispersed than many teams. So there is clear evidence that the things the article is saying are true and people that come here and say there isn't are in denial.

Typ0
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I love it how people read the title of the article "...a trend can be developing" and apparently don't read the article and then proclaim they know what it's about. The article is saying the trend is a trend in the NFL not a trend for the bills...yet all of the season ticket homers are here running to the defense of the bills because if they didn't they would look like idiots for buying those tickets..