PDA

View Full Version : Alan Branch to enter the draft!

X-Era
01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Tell ya what, Id love to land a skill position player like Marshawn Lynch, Tedd Ginn Jr., or Dwayne Jarrett.

But, if this guy drops and if you read the article hes projected to be a mid to late 1st rounder, I wouldnt be unhappy at all if we took him.

The guys a stud

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2724356

IAG
01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
No chance Branch is there....

X-Era
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
No chance Branch is there....

You must have skipped the article

BILLSROCK1212
01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
even if he isnt there Pitcock, Okoye and others could be there....this effects the draft a lot

X-Era
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
even if he isnt there Pitcock, Okoye and others could be there....this effects the draft a lot

Sorry, but Pitcock, Okoye arent worth a Ginn Jr., Jarrett, Lynch, or even Bush.

When you can add a playmaker like any of the ones I mentioned, you take it over a rotational DT.

IAG
01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
You must have skipped the article

No, I am responding to the idea that he may fall to Buffalo...I agree with your assessment that he is a great player, but he is not falling anywhere.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
He should have stayed in school.:down:

clumping platelets
01-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Branch will not fall to #12

Dozerdog
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
He will get drafted, prolly by the Redskins

Tatonka
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
you never know how the draft will go..

didnt ngata last till pick 12? an everyone said he was going in the top 5.

Bmax
01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry, but Pitcock, Okoye arent worth a Ginn Jr., Jarrett, Lynch, or even Bush.

When you can add a playmaker like any of the ones I mentioned, you take it over a rotational DT.

Say What ?????????

Pitcock yes ..Okoye heck yeah.....Look i love Ginn and Jarrett....Lynch is also very good....Bush The guy who ripped his knee up at Louisville ? Last i heard he was getting a medical redshirt and going back for one more year....Even if he came out we should stay away from guys who might not be able to play for a year .. Willis ring a bell to anybody......

When you give up yards on the ground to NE,SD, INDY,TENN,JAX,AND Detriot then that should tell you something ...

This is just to make sure that you all are listening......WE NEED TO FIX OUR RUN DEFENSE..........

Paul Posluszny,Glen Dorsey,Okoye or Heck if he's there (unlikely though) Alan Branch are player we should be looking at not Jarrett or Ginn .

Bmax

Night Train
01-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah. That's why the Pats are dumb to select Ty Warren, Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfolk high, passing over the sexy skill players.

That dumb Scott Pioli.

Night Train
01-09-2007, 02:28 AM
If Branch is there, pick him. Same goes for Okoye or Blalock, the huge nasty Guard from Texas.

You build from the lines out to win in this league.

Lexwhat
01-09-2007, 03:13 AM
If Branch is there, pick him. Same goes for Okoye or Blalock, the huge nasty Guard from Texas.

You build from the lines out to win in this league.

I am asking an honest question, that I dont know the answer to....Have any good O-Linemen come from there and become successful NFL players?

Since we have the #12 pick (or is it #14?), the question should be...Have any PRO-BOWL O-Linemen come from there?

Night Train
01-09-2007, 04:10 AM
I am asking an honest question, that I dont know the answer to....Have any good O-Linemen come from there and become successful NFL players?

Since we have the #12 pick (or is it #14?), the question should be...Have any PRO-BOWL O-Linemen come from there?

Wasn't Reuben Brown picked in the 12-14 range out of Pitt ? How about USC's Tony Boselli, when Jacksonville was in their first year in the NFL.

The draft is a crap shoot ( even though many are convinced it's an exact science. ) The Mike Williams and Tony Mandrich failures always stick in our memory. More than 50 % of first rounders are considered underachievers or busts, for the $$ they make and actual on field production.

We need upgrades in both our lines, in addition to a MLB. They were exposed this past season in a bad way. Picking a WR in Round 1 means more of the same.

Cool players who look great in Madden 2007 and no playoffs.

X-Era
01-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Say What ?????????

Pitcock yes ..Okoye heck yeah.....Look i love Ginn and Jarrett....Lynch is also very good....Bush The guy who ripped his knee up at Louisville ? Last i heard he was getting a medical redshirt and going back for one more year....Even if he came out we should stay away from guys who might not be able to play for a year .. Willis ring a bell to anybody......

When you give up yards on the ground to NE,SD, INDY,TENN,JAX,AND Detriot then that should tell you something ...

This is just to make sure that you all are listening......WE NEED TO FIX OUR RUN DEFENSE..........

Paul Posluszny,Glen Dorsey,Okoye or Heck if he's there (unlikely though) Alan Branch are player we should be looking at not Jarrett or Ginn .

Bmax

You skipped a major reason why I argued against this. At best, this new wonder stud DT will be ROTATIONAL. That means he somehow BY HIMSELF stuffs the run, but the other half of the downs, the teams run all over us through some stud like Tim Anderson.

Or, we can put a guy like Tedd Ginn Jr. on the other side of Evans, to start EVERY O DOWN. And be a threat to score every time he gets the ball. Add in plays like last nights 93 yard KR for a TD, and you have a weapon that will put points on the board.

Im not saying Im against a DT at 12, but it needs to be the RIGHT guy, not just ANY guy which is what you seem to be saying. AND, if a higher valued player at an offensive position slips, play to the strength of the draft, theres always another 6 rounds and FA.

RockStar36
01-09-2007, 07:34 AM
You skipped a major reason why I argued against this. At best, this new wonder stud DT will be ROTATIONAL. That means he somehow BY HIMSELF stuffs the run, but the other half of the downs, the teams run all over us through some stud like Tim Anderson.

Or, we can put a guy like Tedd Ginn Jr. on the other side of Evans, to start EVERY O DOWN. And be a threat to score every time he gets the ball. Add in plays like last nights 93 yard KR for a TD, and you have a weapon that will put points on the board.

Im not saying Im against a DT at 12, but it needs to be the RIGHT guy, not just ANY guy which is what you seem to be saying. AND, if a higher valued player at an offensive position slips, play to the strength of the draft, theres always another 6 rounds and FA.

Out of all the needs this team has in the off-season, you really think WR is top priority.

Lay off the crack.

mysticsoto
01-09-2007, 08:06 AM
He will get drafted, prolly by the Redskins

Agreed. The Redskins will likely grab him...

mysticsoto
01-09-2007, 08:07 AM
you never know how the draft will go..

didnt ngata last till pick 12? an everyone said he was going in the top 5.

I don't know anyone who was saying Ngata was going in the top 5. Most people and mock drafts were saying 10ish (meaning plus or minus a few) and that's exactly where he went!

Dr. Lecter
01-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Fix the lines (and maybe LB) or replace Nate if he goes.

No more sexy skill player picks. This team tried that with TD.

"Run and stop the run".

ShadowHawk7
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I still think we have invested to much at the DT position recently to warrant another 1st round pick there. I believe we have a decent trio with Tripplett, Williams (5th rounder), and McCargo (2nd and 3rd rounder). Tim Anderson should be cut and we should definitley add a 4th DT for the rotation with Jason Jefferson as the 5th. For a rotational DT, we should look for either a run stuffing vet, or a mid-round draft selection.

OpIv37
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM

"Run and stop the run".

exactly- plus, if we do better in the trenches, the skill players we have may turn out to be much better than we know. Look at how well Evans and Losman did in the second half of the season when the OL finally decided to pass block, and how much better Clements looked when the pass rush finally got their act together.

We still need a #2 WR and/or true receiving threat at TE, but I think we can get by with what we have and maybe an FA or two if we fix the lines.

OpIv37
01-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I still think we have invested to much at the DT position recently to warrant another 1st round pick there. I believe we have a decent trio with Tripplett, Williams (5th rounder), and McCargo (2nd and 3rd rounder). Tim Anderson should be cut and we should definitley add a 4th DT for the rotation with Jason Jefferson as the 5th. For a rotational DT, we should look for either a run stuffing vet, or a mid-round draft selection.

we were something like 27th or 28th in run D. Adding one mid-round DT isn't going to solve the problem.

kgun12
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
You can NEVER I repeat NEVER have enough OL or DL. Go back to every Super Bowl winner and tell me which team did not have a great O/D line. Hell our smallish DL is the reason we did not win a SB especially SB 25!

Lexwhat
01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Wasn't Reuben Brown picked in the 12-14 range out of Pitt ? How about USC's Tony Boselli, when Jacksonville was in their first year in the NFL.

The draft is a crap shoot ( even though many are convinced it's an exact science. ) The Mike Williams and Tony Mandrich failures always stick in our memory. More than 50 % of first rounders are considered underachievers or busts, for the $$ they make and actual on field production.

We need upgrades in both our lines, in addition to a MLB. They were exposed this past season in a bad way. Picking a WR in Round 1 means more of the same.

Cool players who look great in Madden 2007 and no playoffs.

I meant O-Linemen from the U. of Texas...

But yes, I agree that we need to upgrade our lines...

Saratoga Slim
01-09-2007, 03:17 PM

"Run and stop the run".

I could not agree more that we need to make a serious effort to improve the interior OL and DL.

But I'll add the caveat that whether or not taking a guy like Ted Ginn/Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st round is a bad idea depends a lot on who we resign, what we do in FA, and what players are likely to be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds etc.

I.e., hypothetically, if we signed a CB to replace Nate, a DT, and a RG in free agency, then we could meet our needs pretty well by drafting Ginn/Jarrett in round one, a MLB in round 2, and maybe another OL in round 3. I don't think it would be unreasonable to see things pan out like that.