X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Bills' defense up the middle ready for changes

As the Buffalo Bills await free agency and the NFL draft, the greatest area of on-field concern the organization is faced with is probably the middle of its defense. The group that played every Sunday of this past season certainly will have a different look to it next year, for better or worse.
    Buffalo's defense finished the 2006 campaign ranked a horrendous 28th against the rush, which naturally dragged the unit's entire performance down. One could even argue that aspect of the Bills' defense was the paramount reason for the team missing the playoffs..more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Re: Bills' defense up the middle ready for changes

you act like you are the news guy or something Phil

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
      you act like you are the news guy or something Phil
      I figure if I'm the only one putting this stuff up on the front page, I should get a chance to earn ZBs for posting it in the forums as well
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• LtFinFan66
        • Mar 2005

That makes sense

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• LtFinFan66
            • Mar 2005

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

The most interesting thing I saw in the article was the assertion that London Fletcher has been a major liability in the defense of the running game, and the failure to offer London a contract extension may be deliberate on the part of the Bills who want to replace him with someone who is better in run support.

I saw a post or something yesterday suggesting KC MLB Kawika Mitchell would be a good target for the Bills in free agency should they not re-sign Fletcher.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
                The most interesting thing I saw in the article was the assertion that London Fletcher has been a major liability in the defense of the running game, and the failure to offer London a contract extension may be deliberate on the part of the Bills who want to replace him with someone who is better in run support.

I saw a post or something yesterday suggesting KC MLB Kawika Mitchell would be a good target for the Bills in free agency should they not re-sign Fletcher.
                Kawika Mitchell??? He's never been too impressive in his time in the league and I dont think he's athletic enough.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

I would love to get Lance Briggs or Cato June.

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ

I got blasted for making that comment before the season started. When we let big fat Sam go, and went smaller and faster, we relied to heavily on Fletcher. He just isnt big enough to be the sole run stopper.

I think learning the new D scheme played a part too for maybe as much as most of the year.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

When linemen are constantly in your face as a linebacker, your chances of making tackles at the line of scrimmage greatly diminish.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71
                        When linemen are constantly in your face as a linebacker, your chances of making tackles at the line of scrimmage greatly diminish.
                        That is true but Fletcher is unable to shed blockers and make tackles on his own and that is required for this system to work properly. That combined with improved penetration by DTs and we will be fine. Everyone will be better after a year with Fewell.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

The article is dead on about Fletcher. He is a liability against the run.

The Colts got alot worse this year. Maybe they are missing Tripplett? I think he is somebody that needs some players around him. I think he is still a good pickup and we should reserve judgement until the 07 season.

I hate the Tampa 2 and started my thread about this earlier today.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                            • Jan 2004

I'm on the Patrick Willis Bandwagon.

This along with Signing a run stuffer like Ian Scott, and a Guard such as Eric Steinbech in FA.
                            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

I don't disagree that we could use some youth at MLB...but...
                              It all works in concert. I remember Fletcher making those tackles when Williams and Adams were in the middle. If linemen are consistently able to get to the second level, there isn't a single LB out there who is going to make those tackles for no gain on a regular basis.
                              A DT doesn't have to be as big as Adams to occupy blockers, he simply has to be able to disrupt plays in the backfield so that teams have to double up.
                              I don't doubt that Fletcher has lost some speed, but I disagree with the analysis that he is/was a liability against the run. None of our D-linemen attracted a double team which left an O-lineman to give an initial punch and find the linebacker.
                              Fletcher is pretty good at shedding blocks and making tackles laterally, but he ends up doing it 3 yards past the line of scrimmage and then gives up another 2 or 3 yards to momentum which favors the runner.

Comment

Working...
                              X