X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

35 million under the cap= No Excuses for 07'

With our projected cap number to be under 35 million that the league limit the Bills have finally reached the year to close the gap on the rest of the NFL. We can sign who we need to sign, still have an almost top ten pick in the draft, and maybe extend some contracts for some of the younger Bills on the rise to lock them up for the forseable future to make the Buffalo Bills a contender in 2007

The time has come for the Bills to attract some talent in the league, last years draft class and FA class gave us depth and some potential stars for years to come,

Some dead weight still needs to be trimmed and some postions still need shoring up, but lets face it we are strides ahead of were we were this time last year

Marv Levy and his braintrust have laid a good foundation and now is the time to build a contender, a team that is young and hungary and disciplined. A team that will give the pride back to Buffalo as one of the top teams in the NFL, only time will tell but there will be no more excuses after this offseason, it will be interesting.....
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY
  • BillsNick
    • Jul 2003

Re: 35 million under the cap= No Excuses for 07'

I can't argue with that!

Comment

• cocamide
      • Oct 2006

I agree. I would love to see us have a huge D-Line this next year like we did a few years back. If our D-Line is much better, and we can stop the run, and pressure the QB, we won't need to spend top dollar for a corner back. Having a solid D-Line will make the whole defense better.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

I feel the need to add caution...
        $35M seems like a lot, until you consider...

The Bills have free agent players of their own this offseason...
        Tim Anderson $.6M
        Nate Clements $7.2M
        Andre Davis $1.4M
        London Fletcher $4.9M
        Mike Gandy $2.5M
        Jabari Greer $.4M
        Chris Kelsay $.8M
        Anthony Hargrove $.5M ????
        Duke Preston $.5M
        Daimon Shelton $1.2M
        Anthony Thomas $.5M
        Kiwaukee Thomas $.5M
        Shaud Williams $.4M
        Coy Wire $.7M

That means 14 roster spots are available. It also means that 14 cap hits are not accounted for as of now. Based on 2006 salaries I think it's safe to say it will cost at least $22.1M to sign 14 players just to maintain the current talent level.

Remainder... $12.9M (equals $35M minus $22.1M).

Furthermore... when you take into account any escalator clauses that may take affect (Losman, Evans, McGahee), we may already have our backs against the wall.

Take it all for what it's worth.

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

i hate to say it draz but London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Mike Gandy,coy wire, shaud williams,damion shelton, anthony thomas, and tim anderson will be replaced either by FA, or draft, the only one of the guys i mentioned that might have a shot at returnin is Gandy but i think with the money u got to pay him we can get some one alot better
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• dolphan117
            • Dec 2005

One thing I think we have to remember is that with the cap increases of the last 2 years everyone is going to be getting paid more. And by that I don't just mean that they are going to be overpaid (although that will happen too) I mean that the actual market value will have gone up. A contract that would have been "overpaying" for a guy 2 years ago will now be just fair market value. Just something to remember when guys start signing big contracts over the off season and your first reaction is "boy did they overpay" they may actually not have based on the new cap structure that we have now.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dolphan117
              One thing I think we have to remember is that with the cap increases of the last 2 years everyone is going to be getting paid more. And by that I don't just mean that they are going to be overpaid (although that will happen too) I mean that the actual market value will have gone up. A contract that would have been "overpaying" for a guy 2 years ago will now be just fair market value. Just something to remember when guys start signing big contracts over the off season and your first reaction is "boy did they overpay" they may actually not have based on the new cap structure that we have now.
              The league average is 20 Million under. We are almost twice that amount. That's without renegotiating some contracts one of which might be Spikes.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by draz54

Tim Anderson $.6M GONE
                Nate Clements $7.2M
                Andre Davis $1.4M
                London Fletcher $4.9M GONE
                Mike Gandy $2.5M NO CHANGE
                Jabari Greer $.4M GONE
                Chris Kelsay $.8M GONE
                Duke Preston $.5M NO CHANGE
                Daimon Shelton $1.2M GONE
                Anthony Thomas $.5M NO CHANGE
                Kiwaukee Thomas $.5M NO CHANGE
                Shaud Williams $.4M GONE
                Coy Wire $.7M GONE
                I think you are overreacting here. We'll be fine. We aren't resigning Nate or Fletch. I think we can get 2 to 3 excellent players right there!!

Comment

• kgun12
                  • Jul 2002

Tim Anderson $.6M
                  Nate Clements $7.2M
                  Andre Davis $1.4M
                  London Fletcher $4.9M
                  Mike Gandy $2.5M
                  Jabari Greer $.4M
                  Chris Kelsay $.8M
                  Duke Preston $.5M
                  Daimon Shelton $1.2M
                  Anthony Thomas $.5M
                  Kiwaukee Thomas $.5M
                  Shaud Williams $.4M
                  Coy Wire $.7M

That means 14 roster spots are available. It also means that 14 cap hits are not accounted for as of now. Based on 2006 salaries I think it's safe to say it will cost at least $22.1M to sign 14 players just to maintain the current talent level.

Remainder... $12.9M (equals $35M minus $22.1M).

Furthermore... when you take into account any escalator clauses that may take affect (Losman, Evans, McGahee), we may already have our backs against the wall.

If we lost any or all of these guys it wouldn't bother me one way or another. Except for Kiwaukee Thomas.
                  Retired Air Traffic Controller
                  USAF VETERAN
                  DAV

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

It's pretty simple:

1) A #2 receiver
                    2) Two additional starters on the OL, RG and Center
                    3) One or two starting linebackers
                    4) FB and rookie RB
                    5) Yobouty or better to replace Clements.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      It's pretty simple:

1) A #2 receiver
                      2) Two additional starters on the OL, RG and Center
                      3) One or two starting linebackers
                      4) FB and rookie RB
                      5) Yobouty or better to replace Clements.
                      6) And the Ravens Defensive line.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

If so many teams have significant Cap space, then why do you think teams won't at least franchise tag their best Free Agents to protect themselves and keep needed talent ? Many have more than enough space to pay them top 5 positional $$ for a year.

I see a few guys that could help but overall, it's not a deep group of UFA's. Few choices means silly overbidding and we won't be players if that happens.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          If so many teams have significant Cap space, then why do you think teams won't at least franchise tag their best Free Agents to protect themselves and keep needed talent ? Many have more than enough space to pay them top 5 positional $$ for a year.

I see a few guys that could help but overall, it's not a deep group of UFA's. Few choices means silly overbidding and we won't be players if that happens.
                          We shouldn't be players if that happens. And you're right, there doesn't look to be a very talented FA class to work with.

Realistically, I'll be happy with FA if we add ONE or TWO major impact players at CB, DT, RG and MLB, then a few solid role players. I think we're going to have to count on the draft to supply the rest.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

Just to reiterate... It seems some haven't comprehended the entire post.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                              With our projected cap number to be under 35 million that the league limit the Bills have finally reached the year to close the gap on the rest of the NFL. We can sign who we need to sign, still have an almost top ten pick in the draft, and maybe extend some contracts for some of the younger Bills on the rise to lock them up for the forseable future to make the Buffalo Bills a contender in 2007

The time has come for the Bills to attract some talent in the league, last years draft class and FA class gave us depth and some potential stars for years to come,

Some dead weight still needs to be trimmed and some postions still need shoring up, but lets face it we are strides ahead of were we were this time last year

Marv Levy and his braintrust have laid a good foundation and now is the time to build a contender, a team that is young and hungary and disciplined. A team that will give the pride back to Buffalo as one of the top teams in the NFL, only time will tell but there will be no more excuses after this offseason, it will be interesting.....
                              Ohh no, turns out Ralph has no money, hes broke. We cant spend up to the cap so that will be our new excuse.

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X