PDA

View Full Version : Having High Character Team

Typ0
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I have noticed a lot of people talking about character issues in several threads about different players. I would like to point out that the idea of getting players on the team with high character is being misinterpreted. Levy want's high football character players. Guys with work ethic who will play hard every down like it's their last. That's the type of character he's talking about not about the guys winning popularity contests. Granted, the high football character guys are probably not going to be involved with a lot of low character issues off the field but it can happen.

jamze132
01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree.

I think people read way too much into the "high character" thing. The bottome line for any GM or coach is that the guy performs on the field and doesn't make a complete ass out of himself or the team repeatedly.

These are the guys Levy likes.

NJFINSFAN1
01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't know, I think there is something to it. I think you need to draft a guy that fits into your team concept and a guy that will be a team player. The Pats do this, and as much as I hate it, its working for them.

Now take the Giants for instance, they have some big time star players, but they were never on the same page, always bashing the coach or the QB, they are all me players, not we players.

I think it can make a difference. But even the we player has to have talent.

X-Era
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I have noticed a lot of people talking about character issues in several threads about different players. I would like to point out that the idea of getting players on the team with high character is being misinterpreted. Levy want's high football character players. Guys with work ethic who will play hard every down like it's their last. That's the type of character he's talking about not about the guys winning popularity contests. Granted, the high football character guys are probably not going to be involved with a lot of low character issues off the field but it can happen.

I think alot of people question players like Willis both on and off the field.

LtBillsFan66
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I agree. I don't care if Whitner beats his wife. As long as he's prepared for games.

Typ0
01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't know, I think there is something to it. I think you need to draft a guy that fits into your team concept and a guy that will be a team player. The Pats do this, and as much as I hate it, its working for them.

Now take the Giants for instance, they have some big time star players, but they were never on the same page, always bashing the coach or the QB, they are all me players, not we players.

I think it can make a difference. But even the we player has to have talent.

that's exactly what I'm talking about. The high football character player is going to show up every single day and work their ass off to make the team better. Those aren't the 'me' players you are talking about. So you actually agree with my thread.

kernowboy
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
if you are a scumbag of the field you are more likely to be an over sized ego underachiever on it.

The team represent the community, the players represent the team.

I think high character football guys and high character guys are inseperable ..

X-Era
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
if you are a scumbag of the field you are more likely to be an over sized ego underachiever on it.

Completely agree :posrep:

Were building a team with character and we dont need "me" guys.

NJFINSFAN1
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
that's exactly what I'm talking about. The high football character player is going to show up every single day and work their ass off to make the team better. Those aren't the 'me' players you are talking about. So you actually agree with my thread.

Yep, I agree then!:oops:

gil
01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
You make a good point - you look at Bruce and even some of the rumors about Kelly back in the day - maybe not perfect citizens off the field when they were playing, but these were team guys - high character players - and needless to say, incredible players.

Today and for the past few years, outside of Donte and Willis, this current team has been blessedly devoid of off the field incidents and has a bounty of great guys (even before Marv) - Moorman, Fletcher, JP (the skybox donation, buffalo house), TKO's 51 foundation and others I am sure I am forgetting.

What does that mean? We've been blessed with high character players for a while, idiot coaches and GM or not - maybe that "football character" thing you speak of that Marv wants will bring us closer to the glory days.

TacklingDummy
01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Buffalo should go after TO if Dallas cuts him.

The_Philster
01-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Buffalo should go after TO if Dallas cuts him.
could someone neg that mind-numbingly stupid post, please?
TO is one of the lowest character guys and non-team players in the NFL

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle>
<!-- main error message -->
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
<!-- / main error message -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jamze132
01-10-2007, 05:17 AM

Well Ray Lewis seems to be pretty good on the field and maybe even a murderer or accessory to it off the field.

TacklingDummy
01-10-2007, 06:52 AM

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle>

Im all for giving JP more weapons to throw to. You're all for coming up with excuses to defend JP.

RockStar36
01-10-2007, 08:01 AM

I think his post was a joke, wasn't it?

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Not sure.

TD might have been a TO fan.