• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Every draft is different but heres a realistic look

I think we are starting to stray away from what we are likely to do again in at least the first round of the draft. Im just as guilty as some of you are.

Id like to look at this based on what Darv (Dick and Marv) are likely to feel we need. Us fans may feel we need x,y, or z but we have no say. Since you cant draft what isnt there, and since most front offices have some decent sense of what players should go where, and we can draw a pretty decent conclusion on what we think Darv will think we need, I think we can draw some early conclusions. But, its VERY early and this is likely to change with FA, the prospect bowl games, combine, and workouts.

We KNOW we pick 12th.

Heres a current and fairly realistic take on where the top 32 rank (Scouts Inc, ESPN):

1. Joe Thomas Sr. OT Wisconsin
    2. Calvin Johnson Jr. WR Georgia Tech
    3. Alan Branch Jr. DT Michigan
    4. Brady Quinn Sr. QB Notre Dame
    5. Gaines Adams Sr. DE Clemson
    6. Adrian Peterson Jr. RB Oklahoma
    7. JaMarcus Russell Jr. QB LSU
    8. Glenn Dorsey Jr. DT LSU
    9. Leon Hall Sr. CB Michigan
    10. Marshawn Lynch Jr. RB Cal
    11. LaRon Landry Sr. S LSU
    12. Amobi Okoye Sr. DT Louisville
    13. Brian Brohm Jr. QB Louisville
    14. Ted Ginn Jr. Jr. WR Ohio State
    15. Adam Carriker Sr. DE Nebraska
    16. DeMarcus Tyler Sr. DT N.C. State
    17. Jeff Samardzija Sr. WR Notre Dame
    18. Sidney Rice Jr. WR S. Carolina
    19. Levi Brown Sr. OT Penn State
    20. Eric Wright Jr. CB UNLV
    21. Dwayne Jarrett Jr. WR USC
    22. Darrelle Revis Jr. CB Pittsburgh
    23. Tony Ugoh Sr. OT Arkansas
    24. Tim Crowder Sr. DE Texas
    25. LaMarr Woodley Sr. OLB Michigan
    26. Marcus McCauley Sr. CB Fresno State
    27. Quentin Moses Sr. DE Georgia
    28. Troy Smith Sr. QB Ohio State
    29. Daymeion Hughes Sr. CB Cal
    30. Anthony Spencer Sr. DE Purdue
    31. Kenny Irons Sr. RB Auburn
    32. Dwayne Bowe Sr. WR LSU

Now, based on this early projection some things become clear for Darv.

Many would say we need OL. I agree, but we should note that there isnt a single OG, or C listed in the top 32, that would make selecting one highly unlikely.

At OT, I dont see anyway Darv will believe we need to spend our 1st rounder on a LT. Dick moved Peters to the spot, hes signed long term, and he played well there. We have other needs, LT is a lower priority. The 3 names listed are LT prospects. Its much more frequent that teams draft LT's in the 1st round than RT's. Pennington is a Darv guy and Dick started him at the bye. I could easily see us giving him a chance and not starting some new guy. At the very least, I think we feel other positions are more important than this one. Add in the fact that the prospects projected in this list are LT's not RT's, and It would seem unlikely that we draft an OT in the 1st.

So, I think OL help from the 1st round is pretty unlikely.

I think many of us fans also feel that losing Flecther and/or Clements would move those positions to the top of the priority list. I can see Darv agreeing, but in both positions Darv has drafted, kept, and played players. Does that mean we will think we are all set? maybe, but probably not. I could see us looking at LB and/or CB in the 1st.

LB- Pozlusny and Willis dont even make it into the top 32, I think both will end up being in the top 25, so either could be an option at 12 for us.

CB- Hall, Wright, Revis, McCauley, Hughes all could be possibilities if Clements is gone. I think when all is said and done your looking mainly at Hall, McCauley who will rise with fast 40 times, and Hughes.

At DL, I think Darv sees what we see, that we cant stop the run. McCargo will be back, but due to rotation it still may not be enough. At DE, we may lose Kelsay and we cant exactly call Kelsay a stud. Our Tampa 2 scheme uses lots of rushing, I could see Darv looking at a pass rush DE.

DT- Branch is the big name, he may drop, he may not. At 6' 6" 300+ with LB type speed, I could see us thinking hes a solution to our running game problems. Okoye, Dorsey, Tyler are all possibilities.

DE- Adams is the big name but may not drop to 12, I think he wont make it past the top 5. Moses, Crowder is a possibility

Outside of CB, we drafted and started two rookie S's. I just cant see anyway that Darv goes after yet another one in the 1st.

At QB, Darv has spoken pretty clearly. I think our guys are honest when they talk about being on the rise, having our starter for next year, and having a foundation for the future. I just cant see us taking a QB.

At WR, we can argue we need another very good player opposite Lee. Fairchild came from the STL camp that put up gaudy numbers with Bruce, Kennison, Holt, Hakim, etc... Our #2 is still up in the air but Peerless was a Darv hire. He made some late plays. Reed made plays but sparingly as did Parrish. I could see Fairchild arguing for better talent here, Darv may give in but it may be unlikely. I wwould love to see it personally, but when I put all this on paper it seems a bit unrealistic. Ginn Jr., or Jarrett may get us to bite and go this route but I think its STILL unlikely.

At RB, at the very least we have a average starter. However, we also have a guy whos agent is verbal about the contract, Willis has shown a me attitude, hes coming into a contract year, hes had questionable actions on and off the field. Furthermore, his production was down this year. Could Darv make a move in a whole new direction? Well, maybe. I could see them looking at it and feeling they need a backup plan if Willis holds out, or leaves in FA. I could see them wanting to head in a new direction with fresh legs and a more Darv type attitude. Willis wasnt there guy either. Id say the likelihood is still short of sure fire, but I think the chances are better than maybe the WR possibilty and maybe as much as 50/50 depending on whos there. Peterson will not escape the top 5, IMO. Marshawn Lynch is a name to watch. Its possible for him to drop, hes a complete RB, and I cant find any off the field problems. ON the field, he shows tough fight, and constant productivity.

At TE and FB I think Zack Miller TE is the only guy who gets the 1st round grade. Darv could go this route if he became TE worthy, but thats not likely. I think the possibility is there, but its probably not even as likely as a RB which is far from a sure thing. And thats only if Miller earns a 12 ranking.

Now, if you add all this up, I think we can head down a path to some projections for us. If you look whos where based on this list, and you analyze the situation Dick and Marv are looking at, some things rise to the top:

At 12 I think Adams and Peterson are gone so Darv would stack the board like this:

1) Alan Branch
    2) Leon Hall
    3) Marshawn Lynch
    4) Ginn Jr.- Im putting Ginn and Jarrett up here based on value at the pick and "some" need
    5) Jarrett
    6) Posluzny
    7) Willis
    8) Okoye
    9) Moses
    10) Revis
    11) Woodley
    12) McCauley
    13) Hughes
    14) Carriker

Yes, I can see that Ginn Jr. and Jarrett are not enough of a need to go above say a Pozlusny. But, I think if you can argue that either adds a whole bunch of production to your team and could make a bigger impact than Poz, it may happen. I really want to go conservative and move them down the list more, but either is so damn good, and we really could use another threat opposite Evans. I just think Darv will think long and hard if either is there.

Re: Every draft is different but heres a realistic look

I think we may not to manipulate the draft. Just because we are listed to pick at 12 doesn't mean we will and I would not be remotely surprised to see us move down and garnish picks.

I definitely agree with your assessment but I can see us trading down in R1 and getting an extra R3 pick, and then looking to add our own R2 and R3 together and move up ending up with a R1a, R1b and a R3 like last year.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Love your enthusiasm.

Just dont have the first clue on how you could possibly even begin to conjure up thoughts of the draft right now. How can you even begin to project who the Bills might take before we decide which fa's of our own to resign and which new guys we bring in before the draft?

IE- If we don't resign Fletch, and we dont get an impact MLB in FA then obviously MLB becomes a high priority.. We ink him and it shouldnt even be a discusssion.

This year we have cap room, we BETTER make some big moves. We shouldn't "need' to go DT in the first round, because we SHOULD already bring in a good run stuffer before the draft.

I think one spot the Bills MIGHT look at that will surprise a lot of people will be RB, especially if say Bush from Louisville is on the board.

I dont think Marv is liking Willis too much. Its also his last year of his deal with that ***** Rosenhaus as his agent.. He doesnt DESERVE a pay raise right now, unfortunately for him we dont play the Jets 16 times per year.

And Marv is big on "character" and bonin all these chicks and getting them preggo likely doesnt score points with Marv.

Dont know.. Just a thought.. If we handle our business in FA i wouldnt at all mind a RB in round one.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Also,
        I havent studied LB's in the draft yet, but according to this chart, there is only one sure-fire LB on the top half of the draft board?

If so, we BETTER spend some cash in FA at this position.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Doesn't Bush have character issues as well?

I don't see a RB in round 1. They are too easy to find in rounds 2, 3, and 4.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            Doesn't Bush have character issues as well?

I don't see a RB in round 1. They are too easy to find in rounds 2, 3, and 4.
            Plus 2008 has a glut of RBs.

True alot of who we draft will depend on what happens in FA, but that's part of the fun...in speculating.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Please refrain from refering to Dick and Marv as "Darv".

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

you have to wonder if both Dick and Marv are willing to go through another year of mediocrity by filling our needs with rookies and starting them from the start of next season like Simpson and Whitner.

MArv knows our biggest need is running and stopping the run. Question is, does he want to stop the run NOW or next year? A rookie DT isn't gonna fix it next year and I doubt he's gonna beat Kyle Williams at camp or if he's even gonna be better than Tim Anderson in his first year.

Willis is not Marv's type of rb both on and off the field. I wouldn't be surprised if his replacement is drafted either on the first or second rd.

Personally, I don't want to use next season as another year for developing players. we are not far from the playoffs. I want to win NOW!!! Go FA for need.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  MArv knows our biggest need is running and stopping the run. Question is, does he want to stop the run NOW or next year? A rookie DT isn't gonna fix it next year and I doubt he's gonna beat Kyle Williams at camp or if he's even gonna be better than Tim Anderson in his first year.

Willis is not Marv's type of rb both on and off the field. I wouldn't be surprised if his replacement is drafted either on the first or second rd.

Personally, I don't want to use next season as another year for developing players. we are not far from the playoffs. I want to win NOW!!! Go FA for need.
                  Beating out Kyle Williams, who is easily pushed backwards, is not all that hard. We're talking about a 5th round pick. The FA market looks very thin, despite the Bills having $$ to spend.

As far as RB, Lynch of California is the only RB worthy of a high first round pick. While he seems to have tons of talent, he may be a problem off the field from what I read. If he can keep his head on, he has it all. Size, speed, great hands out of the backfield. Hits the line flying and runs tough inside.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

I'd love to see Leon Hall drop to the 12th overall pick.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                      Beating out Kyle Williams, who is easily pushed backwards, is not all that hard. We're talking about a 5th round pick. The FA market looks very thin, despite the Bills having $$ to spend.

As far as RB, Lynch of California is the only RB worthy of a high first round pick. While he seems to have tons of talent, he may be a problem off the field from what I read. If he can keep his head on, he has it all. Size, speed, great hands out of the backfield. Hits the line flying and runs tough inside.
                      any of the Dt's this year supposedly any better than Ngata? Ngata was okay but not great.He was aided by the others on his DL. It's not hard to see that Kyle will be ahead of anyone we draft now that he's had 1 year under his belt. Since Kyle was easily pushed (although I think he's gonna be better) I dread the thought of him rotating with a rookie. We're gonna be mediocre again if that happens.

Do you think there are no Jones-Drew's in this years draft?

I don't follow college football so I really don't know much about college players.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                        Sab and TD are insignificant
                        • Sep 2002

[QUOTE=jp-era]

3. Alan Branch

Now, based on this early projection some things become clear for Darv.

Many would say we need OL. I agree, but we should note that there isnt a single OG, or C listed in the top 32, that would make selecting one highly unlikely.

I think OL help from the 1st round is pretty unlikely.

I think many of us fans also feel that losing Flecther and/or Clements would move those positions to the top of the priority list. I can see Darv agreeing, but in both positions Darv has drafted, kept, and played players. Does that mean we will think we are all set? maybe, but probably not. I could see us looking at LB and/or CB in the 1st.

LB- Pozlusny and Willis dont even make it into the top 32, I think both will end up being in the top 25, so either could be an option at 12 for us.

CB- Hall, Wright, Revis, McCauley, Hughes all could be possibilities if Clements is gone. I think when all is said and done your looking mainly at Hall, McCauley who will rise with fast 40 times, and Hughes.

At DL, I think Darv sees what we see, that we cant stop the run. McCargo will be back, but due to rotation it still may not be enough. At DE, we may lose Kelsay and we cant exactly call Kelsay a stud. Our Tampa 2 scheme uses lots of rushing, I could see Darv looking at a pass rush DE.

DT- Branch is the big name, he may drop, he may not. At 6' 6" 300+ with LB type speed, I could see us thinking hes a solution to our running game problems. Okoye, Dorsey, Tyler are all possibilities.

Outside of CB, we drafted and started two rookie S's. I just cant see anyway that Darv goes after yet another one in the 1st.

At QB, Darv has spoken pretty clearly. I think our guys are honest when they talk about being on the rise, having our starter for next year, and having a foundation for the future. I just cant see us taking a QB.

At WR, we can argue we need another very good player opposite Lee. Fairchild came from the STL camp that put up gaudy numbers with Bruce, Kennison, Holt, Hakim, etc... Our #2 is still up in the air but Peerless was a Darv hire. He made some late plays. Reed made plays but sparingly as did Parrish. I could see Fairchild arguing for better talent here, Darv may give in but it may be unlikely. I wwould love to see it personally, but when I put all this on paper it seems a bit unrealistic. Ginn Jr., or Jarrett may get us to bite and go this route but I think its STILL unlikely.

up, I think we can head down a path to some projections for us. If you look whos where based on this list, and you analyze the situation Dick and Marv are looking at, some things rise to the top:

At 12 I think Adams and Peterson are gone, so Marv would stack the board like this:

1) Alan Branch
                        2) Leon Hall
                        3) Marshawn Lynch
                        4) Ginn Jr.- Im putting Ginn and Jarrett up here based on value at the pick and "some" need
                        5) Jarrett
                        6) Posluzny
                        7) Willis
                        8) Okoye
                        9) Moses
                        10) Revis
                        11) Woodley
                        12) McCauley
                        13) Hughes
                        14) Carriker
                        [QUOTE=jp-era]

If that's true what you say about Alan Branch, then I think there's no question that we need to take him - even if it means moving up (which it probably will) - He should not only make us better up front, but keep us incredibly young at the position with McCargo, Williams and Triplett in there. If we don't get him, we need to get Willis and Okoye then. After that, we look at either new TE or #2 Reciever, and then OL help (I have a feeling Marv may convince Wilson to throw some money at Clements). That happens, there is no reason that this team isn't set for a solid playoff run (Jauron better open the O and D up and play more aggressively at the right times (see colts game), and know when to play it conservatively - like running on 3rd and 1 against the Titans) - I think that that is very possible in this draft - not to mention we've still got the FA to go through as well.
                        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Please refrain from him and turn your attention to the top conferance in football the SEC! Speed Kills!

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
                            NJ In The House
                            • Nov 2004

This is what the ESPN insider has you doing, this kid could be a monster.

12. Buffalo (7-9)

Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
                            Projected pick: The Bills have more pressing needs, including cornerback and middle linebacker. However, Okoye is a fast-rising 19-year-old with great potential.

Time To Ski!

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                              Please refrain from refering to Dick and Marv as "Darv".
                              Mick Levauron?
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X