X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

ESPN Insider mock

Sorry if it was posted or it has to be moved.

Scouts Inc.'s first mock draft.

x -- Still to be determined by coin flip
    y -- Still to be determined by playoffs
    + -- Underclassman

1. Oakland Raiders (2-14)
    Projected pick: +JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    Russell vs. Brady Quinn? Let the great debate begin. Most teams have Quinn ahead of Russell, but Raiders owner Al Davis could fall in love with Russell's size and deep arm.

2. Detroit (3-13)
    Projected pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
    The Lions will be stoked if Quinn falls to them at No. 2. Wouldn't it be great, though, if Matt Millen takes another wide receiver (Calvin Johnson) with this pick?

3t. x-Cleveland (4-12)

Projected pick: +Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
    The Browns want Russell with this pick, but they'll settle for a 330-pound playmaker to help solidify Romeo Crennel's three-man defensive front.

3t. x-Tampa Bay (4-12)

Projected pick: +Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
    The Bucs have other more pressing needs, but coach Jon Gruden can't pass on the draft's most dynamic offensive weapon.

5. Arizona (5-11)
    Projected pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    As usual, the Cardinals are a prime candidate to trade down. They should get lots of bidders if Thomas -- the only elite offensive lineman in this class -- is still available.

6. Washington (5-11)
    Projected pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    Adams is a no-brainer for a Redskins defense that set a team record for the fewest sacks in a season (19) in 2006.

7. Minnesota (6-10)
    Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
    It's hard to believe the Vikings still need defensive end help, but Erasmus James suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and Kenechi Udeze failed to notch a sack. Anderson is the complete package physically and he should capitalize on 13.5 sacks as a junior in 2006.

8. Houston (6-10)
    Projected pick: +Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
    Peterson is expected to make his decision to bolt for the NFL in the next few days. Drafting Peterson here would help to overshadow the Texans' colossal mistake of passing on Reggie Bush with the top overall pick last year.

9. Miami (6-10)

Projected pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
    The Dolphins could consider QB Brian Brohm with this pick, but they also could go the free-agency route in order to get short-term relief. Hall would be a good value here and would help upgrade a patchwork secondary.

10. Atlanta (7-9)

Projected pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    Landry is a ball-hawk free safety who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the Falcons secondary.

11. San Francisco (7-9)
    Projected pick: +Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    Dorsey might not fall this far, but the 49ers certainly wouldn't protest such a scenario. Dorsey is a disruptive force as a one-gap penetrating interior lineman.

12. Buffalo (7-9)
    Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    Projected pick: The Bills have more pressing needs, including cornerback and middle linebacker. However, Okoye is a fast-rising 19-year-old with great potential.

13. St. Louis (8-8)
    Projected pick: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    Carriker, a quick and powerful 290-pound defensive end, could be a good complement opposite DE Leonard Little.

14. Carolina (8-8)

Projected pick: +Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    The Panthers need help at middle linebacker, left tackle, safety and tight end, but it also might be time to address life after QB Jake Delhomme. If Brohm elects to leave school early, he should be taken somewhere between picks No. 10 and 20.

15. Pittsburgh (8-8)
    Projected pick: Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia
    Moses' stock is dropping after a subpar senior year, but it will spike once he works out at the combine next month.

16. Green Bay (8-8)
    Projected pick: +Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
    QB Brett Favre could help maximize Lynch's explosiveness and versatility if they're working in the same backfield in 2007.

17. Jacksonville (8-8)
    Projected pick: +Ted Ginn Jr., WR/RS, Ohio State
    Ginn Jr. has a tough decision to make after injuring his ankle in the first quarter of the BCS title game. Assuming he turns pro, the Jaguars could use his speed. Despite spending first-round picks on the position in 2004 (Reggie Williams) and 2005 (Matt Jones), no Jaguar finished in the NFL's top 50 in catches.

18. Cincinnati (8-8)
    Projected pick: Tank Tyler, DT, N.C. State
    Tyler had a monster season as a senior, and his combination of power and quickness would help upgrade the Bengals' ailing defensive front.

19. Tennessee (8-8)

Projected pick: +Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
    Jarrett is a dynamic playmaker with extraordinary hand-eye coordination, but he might not run well enough to land a spot in the top 15. However, the former Trojans receiver could make quite a team with the former Longhorns quarterback (Vince Young) in Tennessee.

20. N.Y. Giants (8-8)
    Projected pick: +Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
    The Giants must upgrade their cover-corner situation, and Revis displays the athleticism and ball skills to fit their needs. Revis will compete for the second cornerback taken behind Hall in this year's class.

21. Denver (9-7)
    Projected pick: Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal
    The tragic passing of Darrent Williams will force the Broncos to re-evaluate their personnel needs this offseason.

22. Dallas (9-7)
    Projected pick: +Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
    Nelson, a speedy center fielder with excellent ball skills, would provide an ideal complement next to hard-hitting S Roy Williams.

23. Kansas City (9-7)

Projected pick: +Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
    Rice's draft stock could fluctuate greatly depending on his postseason workouts. Assuming he grades out as a late first-round prospect, the Chiefs would welcome his pass-catching services on the perimeter.

24. y-New England (from Seattle)
    Projected pick: +Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida
    Moss is an undersized pass-rushing end who would fit well as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defensive scheme. Plus, Bill Belichick obviously has a thing for Gators players.

25. y-N.Y. Jets (10-6)

Projected pick: Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn
    Irons' draft stock is plummeting after a disappointing senior campaign. However, don't be surprised if he works his way back into the first round by running well and checking out physically at next month's combine. The Jets might be desperate enough to take a gamble.

26. y-New Orleans (10-6)

Projected pick: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
    The Saints need lots of help on defense, and selecting McCauley would be a step in the right direction. McCauley is raw but he's also a 6-foot-1 cornerback with 4.3-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

27. y-Philadelphia (10-6)
    Projected pick: +Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State
    Timmons is unpolished, but he's a big hitter with great speed for his size.

28. y-New England (12-4)
    Projected pick: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame
    Samardzija could easily slip out of the first round due to his desire to play both baseball (Cubs) and football professionally. The Patriots should be "in the know" thanks to their old buddy Charlie Weis.

29. y-Indianapolis (12-4)

Projected pick: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
    The Colts' run defense was abysmal during the regular season, so drafting a one-man wrecking crew like Willis makes a lot of sense with this pick. Willis notched 265 tackles during his final three seasons at Ole Miss.

30. y-Chicago (13-3)
    Projected pick: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    Brown could slip after a disappointing senior season, but it's still tough to find a tackle with his combination of size and agility.

31. y-Baltimore (13-3)
    Projected pick: LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan
    The Ravens could use a youth influx at linebacker, and Woodley would be a good fit thanks to his experience playing in a similar hybrid 3-4/4-3 defensive scheme at Michigan.

32. y-San Diego (14-2)

Projected pick: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
    A young weapon like Bowe at wide receiver could take an already-potent Chargers offense to the next level.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: ESPN Insider mock

I'd be happy as hell with Okoye. I saw him play several games and he is a load in the middle. 318 lbs. with superior strength and effort. Can stuff the run and push the pocket.

He'll only be 20 when the 2007 starts and the Bills like young guys who still have an upside and didn't take a beating in College. If you recall, Whitner,McCargo,Youboty and Simpson all were Junior eligibles who declared early for the draft. Seems to fit the Bills plan.

I'd also be happy with DT Dorsey of LSU. Can't believe how quick this guy is off the line of scrimmage. Seems to always be in the backfield lawn darting the QB or RB for a loss. A 300 lb. DT who plays like he's 350.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

7. Minnesota (6-10)
      Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
      It's hard to believe the Vikings still need defensive end help, but Erasmus James suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and Kenechi Udeze failed to notch a sack. Anderson is the complete package physically and he should capitalize on 13.5 sacks as a junior in 2006.
      I remember when people were clammering for the Bills to draft Udeze...
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Okoye is a really intriguing pick. He's a bit on the short side, but would by no means be the shortest DT in the league. He is supposedly very athletic like you want in the Tampa 2, but has a little more bulk than the DTs on Buffalo's roster now. He's really smart, and would, I think be the youngest player in the NFL in the modern era if not all time. I would not complain if he were the Bills pick. If Buffalo addresses MLB and CB in free agency, this becomes a very feasible pick.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• cocamide
          • Oct 2006

I would be happy with this pick also. One problem though: When we win the SuperBowl next year, he won't be able to drink any of the champaigne!

Comment

• evol4276
            • Oct 2005

akoye's a beast if i remember correctly.. im not much of a college buff but i've seen him in action a few times this year and am impressed from what i saw.. I could totally fall in love with this pick

Comment

• ublinkwescore
              Sab and TD are insignificant
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by cocamide
              I would be happy with this pick also. One problem though: When we win the SuperBowl next year, he won't be able to drink any of the champaigne!
              The hell he can't - I'll go to jail for contributing to the delinquency of that minor.

(and any other minors on the team if we pull it off for that matter).
              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Id love to see Okoye or Dorsey here, either would be great pickups.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Talented or not, I'm not comfortable throwing millions of dollars at a 19 year old kid. Let someone else deal with that bag of issues.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                    Talented or not, I'm not comfortable throwing millions of dollars at a 19 year old kid. Let someone else deal with that bag of issues.
                    This isn't your average 19 year old, though: he entered college when he was 16 and is a college senior who is going to graduate (if he hasn't already). All reports are that he is extremely mature for his age.

I love Dorsey (who I noticed was not on their list), but would be happy with Okoye, too, now that I have done a little research on him. I think that Okoye's youth and intelligence (you don't get to go to college at 16 if you aren't extremely intelligent!) might just make him more attractive to the Bills than some other possibilities.

If the Bills go with Okoye or Dorsey in the first round and are unable to get a MLB in free agency, they could still move Crowell (or less likely, Spikes) to MLB and pick up a fast, play-making OLB in Rufus Alexander (Okla) or Earl Everett (Fla) in Round 2 or Michigan's Harris (a MLB) perhaps in Round 3.
                    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                      This isn't your average 19 year old, though: he entered college when he was 16 and is a college senior who is going to graduate (if he hasn't already). All reports are that he is extremely mature for his age.

I love Dorsey (who I noticed was not on their list), but would be happy with Okoye, too, now that I have done a little research on him. I think that Okoye's youth and intelligence (you don't get to go to college at 16 if you aren't extremely intelligent!) might just make him more attractive to the Bills than some other possibilities.

If the Bills go with Okoye or Dorsey in the first round and are unable to get a MLB in free agency, they could still move Crowell (or less likely, Spikes) to MLB and pick up a fast, play-making OLB in Rufus Alexander (Okla) or Earl Everett (Fla) in Round 2 or Michigan's Harris (a MLB) perhaps in Round 3.
                      LBF, I think ESPN had Dorsey going the pick before us.
                      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                        Okoye is a really intriguing pick. He's a bit on the short side, but would by no means be the shortest DT in the league. He is supposedly very athletic like you want in the Tampa 2, but has a little more bulk than the DTs on Buffalo's roster now. He's really smart, and would, I think be the youngest player in the NFL in the modern era if not all time. I would not complain if he were the Bills pick. If Buffalo addresses MLB and CB in free agency, this becomes a very feasible pick.
                        What about that Eric Swann guy that was drafted out of semi-pro/high school by Arizona?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I'm a little concerned about his youth, but if he's smart and mature enough to graduate from college at 19 or 20, while playing D-1 football, he sounds like Marv's kind of guy.

I'm still not sure DT is our number 1 priority, however.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            I'm a little concerned about his youth, but if he's smart and mature enough to graduate from college at 19 or 20, while playing D-1 football, he sounds like Marv's kind of guy.

I'm still not sure DT is our number 1 priority, however.
                            I don't know about it, but we need to stop the run, with our DL or LBs. I don't want to spend another pick here, but I'm afraid that's what we really need. This young guy, Dorsey and that LB from Penn State, Paulsomething, could look good in a Bills uniform next season.
                            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

This is the first round 1 mock I have seen that doesn't include Posluszny. While I would favor grabing Willis over him, I wouldn't think he would be out of the first round.

Comment

Working...
                              X