X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

So, why do we need a new DT

Since we spent good FA money on Tripplet, moved up in the draft to pick McCargo and picked Williams who started a good deal of the time last year? We might think we need a huge space eating DT but the Defensive staff doesn't like that philosophy. I think we will need impact linebackers, especially if we let Fletcher walk and cut Spikes.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: So, why do we need a new DT

Williams is really an every-down kind of guy, IMO. I'd kinda like a big guy in there to take up blockers...and Tim Anderson ain't that guy
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
      Since we spent good FA money on Tripplet, moved up in the draft to pick McCargo and picked Williams who started a good deal of the time last year? We might think we need a huge space eating DT but the Defensive staff doesn't like that philosophy. I think we will need impact linebackers, especially if we let Fletcher walk and cut Spikes.
      28th in run D. Tripplett was a disappointment and McCargo wasn't exactly impressive before he got hurt. Plus, he was injured in college before he was drafted- there has to be at least a little concern that he's injury prone.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• cocamide
        • Oct 2006

Here's why we need a big fat guy in the middle:

Minnesota is the #1 rush defense, allowing only 61.6 rush yards per game. Who are their defensive tackles?

Pat Williams, weighing in at 317
        Kevin Williams, weighing in at 304

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

just because you address something in the off-season before doesnt mean you don't do it again..

Triplett was a marginal impact player at best; a force at times and woefully weak against the run... McCargo got hurt so judgement is unfair, but even when healthy he's regarded more as a pass rusher than a run stopper.... Kyle williams outperformed them both, but at times he gets manhandled.

If i'm the Bills (of course FA will have a big impact on draft) but my early eyes are looking at either a DT or a DE who's as good at stopping the run as pash rushing.. What good is it having four linemen who can get after the quarterback when the QB doesnt need to throw?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
            • Mar 2003

Yes, but we can get fat bastards w/o wasting a first rounder on one. Cut Anderson's ass and sign a 4th dt via FA or mid round selection.
            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              28th in run D. Tripplett was a disappointment and McCargo wasn't exactly impressive before he got hurt. Plus, he was injured in college before he was drafted- there has to be at least a little concern that he's injury prone.
              Brand new defense had to take a bit to get going. Tripplet played better as the season wore on, McCargo was hurt pretty early in the season and he WAS a rookie. We also moved up to get him in the first.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by cocamide
                Here's why we need a big fat guy in the middle:

Minnesota is the #1 rush defense, allowing only 61.6 rush yards per game. Who are their defensive tackles?

Pat Williams, weighing in at 317
                Kevin Williams, weighing in at 304
                Neither of those guys are really big and fat. Pat might be more like 330, but even he isn't huge.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Dude did you watch the games? We sucked at stopping the run. We don't have the players yet. Enough said. Can we stop falling in love with our mediocre players?!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    just because you address something in the off-season before doesnt mean you don't do it again..

Triplett was a marginal impact player at best; a force at times and woefully weak against the run... McCargo got hurt so judgement is unfair, but even when healthy he's regarded more as a pass rusher than a run stopper.... Kyle williams outperformed them both, but at times he gets manhandled.

If i'm the Bills (of course FA will have a big impact on draft) but my early eyes are looking at either a DT or a DE who's as good at stopping the run as pash rushing.. What good is it having four linemen who can get after the quarterback when the QB doesnt need to throw?
                    I would rather have an impact LB who can make plays in the backfield. Spikes was that kind of player before the injury, and although Fletcher is a good player, he never seemed to make a ton of tackles behind the line. If the Bills braintrust doens't want a huge DT to take up blockers, why would we think they would change their mind and try to install a totally new defense again. Rookies rarely make an impact on either line right away.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      Dude did you watch the games? We sucked at stopping the run. We don't have the players yet. Enough said. Can we stop falling in love with our mediocre players?!
                      Dude, yeah I watched the games. We gave up draft picks to move up in the first for McCargo, gave Tripplet a fairly big salary and Williams was a starter. Can we wait to see if the players we got will be any good before we go wasting more picks on one spot? Maybe we have a few more areas of need than just DT. Maybe we need a new RB. We definitely seem like we will need a LB. All I'm asking is why does everyone think we will be going after a DT in the draft after we drafted two last year and paid high for a third?

Enough said!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                        Yes, but we can get fat bastards w/o wasting a first rounder on one. Cut Anderson's ass and sign a 4th dt via FA or mid round selection.
                        exactly. There seem to be fat bastards available every year in FA.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Its NOT going to happen..

but If I had my way, we'd have ALL of our LB's back from last year, and continue to get better against the run on the front four...

I still like Fletcher, if he played on a better team he'd have been a candidate for defensive player of the year (4 picks, 2 TD's).

I agree about Spikes, but I think next year he will be somewhere in between what he used to be and what he was this year. I"ll take 90% of 2004 Spikes-not to mention he's under contact anyway. Give him the next six or so months to get stronger--he'll be better than he was this year.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

AS for the DL

Schobel is solid, and the Tripplett/McCargo one-gap side is fine... But Kelsay or Hargrove are weak against the run, and i'd like to see improvement there.. and i"d like to see a huge upgrade over ANderson at the other DT spot, to combine with Kyle Williams.. That would greatly improve the run defense.

Now im not saying it needs to be the first pick, but it needs to be 1-2 significant guys they bring in.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Dude, yeah I watched the games. We gave up draft picks to move up in the first for McCargo, gave Tripplet a fairly big salary and Williams was a starter. Can we wait to see if the players we got will be any good before we go wasting more picks on one spot? Maybe we have a few more areas of need than just DT. Maybe we need a new RB. We definitely seem like we will need a LB. All I'm asking is why does everyone think we will be going after a DT in the draft after we drafted two last year and paid high for a third?

Enough said!
                              Who is getting better this coming year? They stunk this year so what makes me think otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                              X