X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Goodell says NFL will help out small markets

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell gave an assurance the league will help protect its small-market franchises, even if owners drop the ball on producing a new revenue-sharing plan, New York Sen. Charles Schumer said Wednesday. Goodell's assurance came during a half-hour visit in Washington with Schumer, who described the meeting as positive because the first-year commissioner emphasized the need for a heightened revenue-sharing plan to maintain the long-term viability of teams such as the Buffalo Bills. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Goodell says NFL will help out small markets

Good article. Can't wait till Jan 23rd now, to see what they come up with.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• BillsNick
      • Jul 2003

I hope he's right

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

The guy is from Jamestown. How can he not hook us up?

Comment

• G. Host
          Banned
          • Jul 2002

Only part of quote was reported:
          Goodell says NFL will help out small markets find ways of exploiting moneys out of communities

They do not care about the small markets unless they can milk more money out of them despite what they say.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
            Only part of quote was reported:
            Goodell says NFL will help out small markets find ways of exploiting moneys out of communities

They do not care about the small markets unless they can milk more money out of them despite what they say.
            I dont see anyone who actually WANTS the Bills to fold here.

Its not the fans
            Its never been Ralph
            Its not Goodell or the NFL
            Its not any of our state politicians

So who exactly wants the Bills to fold? If there were someone driving toward that it may happen. But when all parties involved want the Bills and small market teams to survive, theres no way for it not to happen.

I understand peoples angst or worry here, but theres no way in hell that something doesnt get done to fix the issue, everyone wants it to happen. Furthermore, the owners may try to stiffle the process because they dont want to fess money, but the NFL commish holds the trump card and is ready to use it.

Its a done deal!

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
              I dont see anyone who actually WANTS the Bills to fold here.

Its not the fans
              Its never been Ralph
              Its not Goodell or the NFL
              Its not any of our state politicians

So who exactly wants the Bills to fold? If there were someone driving toward that it may happen. But when all parties involved want the Bills and small market teams to survive, theres no way for it not to happen.

I understand peoples angst or worry here, but theres no way in hell that something doesnt get done to fix the issue, everyone wants it to happen. Furthermore, the owners may try to stiffle the process because they dont want to fess money, but the NFL commish holds the trump card and is ready to use it.

Its a done deal!

well, if you think of it from the perspective of current american business practice that would indicate that the NFL in fact does want the team to be somewhere else potentially. First of all, the NFL is nothing but a representation of the league owners. Because of that, the NFL's position is going to be that of the majority of the league owners. Now, if it can be demonstrated that moving the team to another market would generate higher immediate returns than keeping it in this market then it would only be rational to move the team from the perspective of the majority of the owners in the league because the health of the league is tied to their health.

I'm not looking for an arguement here. Just stating the way we view business and why the league would want the team somewhere else. I know the tradition and all...but american business has been very short sighted for the past several decades. I hope the league would see the alternative to this path would be expansion as long as small market teams remain profitable. They could add teams in new markets instead of moving teams to maximize revenues.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                well, if you think of it from the perspective of current american business practice that would indicate that the NFL in fact does want the team to be somewhere else potentially. First of all, the NFL is nothing but a representation of the league owners. Because of that, the NFL's position is going to be that of the majority of the league owners. Now, if it can be demonstrated that moving the team to another market would generate higher immediate returns than keeping it in this market then it would only be rational to move the team from the perspective of the majority of the owners in the league because the health of the league is tied to their health.

I'm not looking for an arguement here. Just stating the way we view business and why the league would want the team somewhere else. I know the tradition and all...but american business has been very short sighted for the past several decades. I hope the league would see the alternative to this path would be expansion as long as small market teams remain profitable. They could add teams in new markets instead of moving teams to maximize revenues.
                I think that many here seem to relish in controversy and that can be a self serving effort.

Sure, your point would work if there wasnt any owner feelings, player feelings, state politicians feelings, fans feelings, city residents feelings.

So sure, if you set aside how the vast majority of people are against it, and you try to forget that many of those same people have the power, I guess you could argue it could happen.

If it was just a matter of where Ralphs team could be most profitable, they would have been gone forever ago or may have never started here in Buffalo at all.

Sorry, but the chances of this whole conspiracy theory happening are remote at best, theres too many people in too many important positions from every angle of this who want the Bills to stay right where they are.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
                  I think that many here seem to relish in controversy and that can be a self serving effort.

Sure, your point would work if there wasnt any owner feelings, player feelings, state politicians feelings, fans feelings, city residents feelings.

So sure, if you set aside how the vast majority of people are against it, and you try to forget that many of those same people have the power, I guess you could argue it could happen.

If it was just a matter of where Ralphs team could be most profitable, they would have been gone forever ago or may have never started here in Buffalo at all.

Sorry, but the chances of this whole conspiracy theory happening are remote at best, theres too many people in too many important positions from every angle of this who want the Bills to stay right where they are.
                  see I made perfectly rational points and you are labeling me as a conspiracy theorist. Well let me tell you something. There are around 300 million people in the US and only a few million of those are in this region at the most (and that includes a very densly populated canadian population that isn't figured in the us total above). Furthermore, there are only a couple owners out of 32 that give a crap about preserving small market teams. So I don't really get where these "vast majority" of people are coming from unless you limit your population to the greater buffalo area. well the NFL does not just play in the greater buffalo area and the national and international population could care less about what happens to the buffalo population or what their concerns are.

go right ahead and sit in your buffalo homer box thinking the world revolves around you. The reality is, if the league doesn't quantify the value of keeping longstanding teams in less profitable markets the days of the buffalo bills are numbered it doesn't matter how many homers come to the picket line. I'm not saying they won't see that light just saying there is good reason to be concerned.

Comment

Working...
                  X