X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Peters, Pennington bring hope to Buffalo's O-line

In a day and age where many fans obsess over selecting offensive linemen early in drafts, it's odd to think that many of the league's best come from the latter rounds. Some even go undrafted.
    That's certainly the case for the Buffalo Bills , whose two most promising linemen are both youngsters who were virtually unnoticed at their respective drafts. The two each happen to be starters on the Bills' line, both playing tackle positions....more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Re: Peters, Pennington bring hope to Buffalo's O-line

Peters is obviously ahead of Pennington, but both need to improve their run-blocking still. However, as young offensive tackles, they both showed a lot of promise this year.

A lot of people are likely to point to the fact that neither was highly regarded enough coming out of college to considered enough of a prospect to be taken high in the draft--which some consider a major criterion for future stardom.

However, both Peters and Pennington have freakish athletic qualities: Peters' speed and quick feet and Pennington's long arms, as well as their size. For whatever reasons, though, both were very raw when they came to the Bills and still have a lot of room to improve and refine their games. Nevertheless, both deserve credit for the way that they have learned and worked to improve since arriving in Buffalo--which has been reflected in their ability to step up to starting roles on the team. That, more than anything, leads me to believe that they will continue to improve and get better in the parts of their game where they need to improve.

When I think of Mike Williams and Oakland's Robert Gallery (if ever there was a "can't miss" O-lineman coming out of college, it was Gallery) and how, despite their lofty status in the draft, etc., both have been such disappointments and then look at Peters and Pennington, coming along nicely from so much further behind, it is just further proof of what the coaches always seem to say about how it is what a player does and how he develops after he gets to the NFL that will determine just how good a player he will be at that level.

I'm not ready to say that Peters or Pennington are definitely the answer for the Bills at the tackle positions or that either one of them will ever be a Pro Bowler, but all the indications are that these are two young, still developing players who, if they continue to improve, are going to be pretty good for a long time. They certainly have gotten off to a good start so far...but they still have a ways to go yet as well.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

I think the calls to draft a RT are not called for. Penningto did well as a rookie and if Butler bulks up he can provide very good competition. Either could become a Howard Ballard for us.

Peters has been a revelation.

Where we may be a free agent is at RG to replace Villarial. I would like to see Preston properly groomed to eventually provide a large center replacement for Fowler and I see Merz as a great back up. I think resigning Gandy would be an intelligent move, but we must just keep him at guard.

A concern is the depth behind Peters if he gets injured. When Matt Light went down for the Pats, they were able to stick Nick Kaczur there - I think we ought to have a prospect who can cover LT properly but potentially could back up LG as well

Thats why if Doug Free, of the Northern Illinois Huskies falls to us in Round 3 we should snap him up with no more than 2 seconds of thought

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
        I'm not ready to say that Peters or Pennington are definitely the answer for the Bills at the tackle positions or that either one of them will ever be a Pro Bowler, but all the indications are that these are two young, still developing players who, if they continue to improve, are going to be pretty good for a long time. They certainly have gotten off to a good start so far...but they still have a ways to go yet as well.
        I'm ready to say Peters is the Answer at LT. No question about it in my mind.

My verdict's still out on Pennington, though I'm hopeful. He definately seemed to be improving as the season went on, he sure has the size, and sounds like he's a worker. But I must admit I didn't pay all that close attention to him. in the last few games Anyone have a strong opinion or observations on Pennington? Is he going to be better than an average RT?
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Stewie
          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
          • Aug 2002

More proof than no other industry spends so much money to get such dubious results as the NFL and scouting.
          Originally posted by Topdog
          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          I love Weiner.
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          also cheese

Comment

• gil
            • Mar 2005

all I know is, this is the best I've felt about our offensive line going into an offseason in a long, long time - it doesn't seem like we have to re-invent the wheel this year up front.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
              I'm ready to say Peters is the Answer at LT. No question about it in my mind.

My verdict's still out on Pennington, though I'm hopeful. He definately seemed to be improving as the season went on, he sure has the size, and sounds like he's a worker. But I must admit I didn't pay all that close attention to him. in the last few games Anyone have a strong opinion or observations on Pennington? Is he going to be better than an average RT?
              I'm with you. Peters is the real deal. I want another RT brought in to compete for the job or to push Terrence Pennington, but I also like what I saw from Pennington so far.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                all I know is, this is the best I've felt about our offensive line going into an offseason in a long, long time - it doesn't seem like we have to re-invent the wheel this year up front.
                We need to get rid of Duke Preston and get some depth for the middle.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

If for some reason we can get someone through FA who is better than Peter's, we can move him back to RT.

Comment

• gil
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    oh, absolutely, there is much work to be done there, but at least we can look down the line and not have to think that every single position needs significant upgrades.

I'd keep Preston, he can be a dependable backup with his versatility.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
                      More proof than no other industry spends so much money to get such dubious results as the NFL and scouting.
                      That is true, but it's still a necessary expenditure. Back in the days when Paul Brown was keeping a tight rein on Bengal expenditures, he was rumored to pay less than anyone else to maintain a scouting department. It was said jokingly that he simply went out and purchased the Sporting News Draft Guide, and made his picks accordingly. It was no coincidence that for years the Bengals had the worst drafts in the league.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        You don't like Preston, why?
                        The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                          If for some reason we can get someone through FA who is better than Peter's, we can move him back to RT.
                          are you out of your mind? Peters is a stud tackle and will be a All-Star LT within the next year or two.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                            ??? Can you justify for me the above? Every one, including professional analysts, would seem to disagree with you. Additionally, you might want to take a look at some games like the Miami game where Peters frequently faced JT (remember...the guy that won defensive player of the year)...and watch how well he performed!!!

Comment

Better than Peters?

Comment

Working...
                              X