Are we really asking the NFL to limit late season games in Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Are we really asking the NFL to limit late season games in Buffalo?

"Schumer said he also received an assurance from Goodell that the NFL would make an effort to avoid scheduling too many late-season games in Buffalo. This became an issue when the Bills were unable to sell out their final four home games, all scheduled after Thanksgiving, when weather is generally harsher.
    The non-sellouts raised complaints of the NFL's TV blackout policy, which prevents games from being televised in a team's home market if their facility is not sold out at least two days prior to the game. Out of 256 NFL games, there were only seven local blackouts this season, but four involved Bills home games. "They said they would try to change that for the next year, so that should help," Schumer said."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????

So now its the weather that kept the fans away late in the season? I think there just might be some factors involved in the non-sellouts other than the weather. Like maybe the fact that we havent been to the playoffs since the Clinton administration. Late season cold weather has always been one of this team's defining characteristics! one of the best things about being a Bills fan is being tougher than the elements, and watching warm weather teams struggle when they get here in December. This request makes us look like a bunch of warm weather pansy-asses!

Plus, what a ***** brilliant idea, ask the league to put us on the road for as many of the critical post-Thanksgiving games as possible. THAT should help us get into the playoffs. And likewise tell any potential successors that not only does the economy suck in Buffalo, but you can't sell out the stadium because the local fans don't like to get cold during late season games. Why give them ANOTHER excuse to move the team?

I'd like to know if that was Schumer's idea or if he was passing on a request from OBD.

Let me know if I'm out of line, but I find this embarrassing for us Bills fans and a terrible idea for the team.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Are we really asking the NFL to limit late season games in Buffalo?

It's a business thing, nothing else.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
      "Schumer said he also received an assurance from Goodell that the NFL would make an effort to avoid scheduling too many late-season games in Buffalo. This became an issue when the Bills were unable to sell out their final four home games, all scheduled after Thanksgiving, when weather is generally harsher.
      The non-sellouts raised complaints of the NFL's TV blackout policy, which prevents games from being televised in a team's home market if their facility is not sold out at least two days prior to the game. Out of 256 NFL games, there were only seven local blackouts this season, but four involved Bills home games. "They said they would try to change that for the next year, so that should help," Schumer said."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????

So now its the weather that kept the fans away late in the season? I think there just might be some factors involved in the non-sellouts other than the weather. Like maybe the fact that we havent been to the playoffs since the Clinton administration. Late season cold weather has always been one of this team's defining characteristics! one of the best things about being a Bills fan is being tougher than the elements, and watching warm weather teams struggle when they get here in December. This request makes us look like a bunch of warm weather pansy-asses!

Plus, what a ***** brilliant idea, ask the league to put us on the road for as many of the critical post-Thanksgiving games as possible. THAT should help us get into the playoffs. And likewise tell any potential successors that not only does the economy suck in Buffalo, but you can't sell out the stadium because the local fans don't like to get cold during late season games. Why give them ANOTHER excuse to move the team?

I'd like to know if that was Schumer's idea or if he was passing on a request from OBD.

Let me know if I'm out of line, but I find this embarrassing for us Bills fans and a terrible idea for the team.
      Dude who likes freezing their balls off? It STINKS!!!! I have been to every home game for 5 years so trust me I am speaking from experience. 1 or 2 freezing games is enough for me. Stop overeacting.....

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

This sounds stupid to me.. I would much rather the NFL modify the blackout rule in which case the stadium doesn't have to be sold out, but the stadium has to match the leagues average attendance.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
          This sounds stupid to me.. I would much rather the NFL modify the blackout rule in which case the stadium doesn't have to be sold out, but the stadium has to match the leagues average attendance.
          That's what I want to see too.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

I think the main factor is the Sabres. People are buying Sabres tickets. I know of at least 5 people that dropped their Bills season tickets for Sabres this year.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
              I think the main factor is the Sabres. People are buying Sabres tickets. I know of at least 5 people that dropped their Bills season tickets for Sabres this year.
              I told everyone but no one believed me. We can't support the two teams together anymore. For many people, it's either the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres. I think a lot of people gave up on the Bills last year when it was basically admitted by Marv that we were rebuilding. I think that they will come back and we will get more season ticket holders this year. but it will take more from Marv and Ralph to sell out the whole season again.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                I told everyone but no one believed me. We can't support the two teams together anymore. For many people, it's either the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres. I think a lot of people gave up on the Bills last year when it was basically admitted by Marv that we were rebuilding. I think that they will come back and we will get more season ticket holders this year. but it will take more from Marv and Ralph to sell out the whole season again.
                They can have the Sabres, I can't live without the Bills.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                  Dude who likes freezing their balls off? It STINKS!!!! I have been to every home game for 5 years so trust me I am speaking from experience. 1 or 2 freezing games is enough for me. Stop overeacting.....
                  I live 6.5 hours away, so can't match your cred of attending every home game. But nonetheless, c'mon Thurm! Dress warm and booze it up!

who wants to play on the road for playoff-clinching end of season games?
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

Man I remember selling out the 80,000-seat version of Rich Stadium for games when it was well-below zero and the winds were howling. That used to be our home field advantage. Teams like the Raiders and Dolphins would crap their pants at the thought of playing in Buffalo in winter. Now we're crying it's too cold when it's below 40! What a bunch of pussyfarts we've turned into!!

PTR
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82

It is true. Before when the Bills would sell out and the Sabres wouldn't it didn't really matter because it was just the NHL. Now that the roles are reveresed everyone sees that. It is tough to support both teams, but the fact of the matter is the Bills still had good attendance.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                        They can have the Sabres, I can't live without the Bills.
                        I agree. If it ever came down to one or the other...I'd say goodbye to the Sabres in a heartbeat, as long as it guarantees that the Buffalo Bills will stay here for a long time to come. Even if they finally win the Cup.

Comment

• Devin
                          The Octagon
                          • Apr 2003

Its not the weather its the people.

When you cant sell out fish week you end up playing away game in December.

So much for "home field advantage".
                          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

It sounds like the locals do nothing but *****.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                              Its not the weather its the people.

When you cant sell out fish week you end up playing away game in December.

So much for "home field advantage".

Comment

Working...
                              X