• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Amobi Okoye.. not what you think

I could see him being a bust.. Look at what ESPN Insider had to say about him and I quote:

Overall: Okoye arrived at Louisville in 2003 as a 16-year old true freshman and played in all 13 games registering 17 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack. In 2004, he played in 11 games (one start; Army), missed the ECU game with a shoulder injury, and made 26 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack for the year. Okoye started 10 of the 11 games he played in during the 2005 season, missed the Florida Atlantic game with a foot sprain, and finished the season with 23 total tackles, four tackles-for-loss, 0.5 sacks, and three fumble recoveries.
    Okoye isn't fundamentally sound and he needs to keep his weight down to be effective. However, he is a young developmental-prospect that has the bulk to develop into an effective run stuffer and enough quickness to improve his ability to rush the passer. He projects as a first-day pick.

He is young and he can grow, but he isn't as proven as some of the other players that will be available. This guy wouldn't be able to step right in and make plays for us, in other words he would be an experiment. If I'm reading this correctly, Amobi had under 3 sacks from 03-05.. I'm not impressed. Thoughts?
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Amobi Okoye.. not what you think

16, 17, and 18 year old, going against kids 20, 21, 22...Im not surprised he only had 3.5 sacks prior.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

Well and at the DT position your not gonna see DE numbers. Hes 19, but like Mario WIlliams he has a great build and is very athletic. You give him a couple seasons to build on that and you will see a diff player.
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
        !?!?!?!?!?
        • Mar 2006

i'd prefer not to draft him but if we had a second 1st rounder or had a later pick i wud consider it.......i'd like to see him in the senior bowl does anyone know if he wil be in it?

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

Yeah but he had six sacks this eason and over 50 tackles that's a good amount for A NT .... He will be a wave guy which is what any DT will be with our DEF. That would be just what the Doctor ordered for Okoye and the Bills.

Bmax...

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
            I'm not impressed. Thoughts?
            You're not impressed, based on blind loyalty to a anonymous scouting report by espn ?

Have you ever seen him play ? I have and he's constantly double teamed and still makes plays at the LOS.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

Probably not a value pick at 12, but if Marv thinks we need a top DT, he just might be an option. If CB or MLB become priority #1, then we can hope Justin Harrell falls to us in RD 2. McCargo and Harrell could become a nasty duo in the middle of the defense. If Patrick Willis is our 1st rounder, that should shore up the run defense for us. The problem is, what do we do when Clements bolts? I like the possibility of grabbing Tory James. He shouldn't be too expensive and he can play while we develop Youboty and another youngster as the future starter.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

I have a feeling that we're not going to take a CB very high in this draft. I could see them resigning Kiwaukee Thomas, and then signing a mid-range FA to work along with Youboty. Just a feeling
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

I might see some Draft movement here and us having 2 picks

I can easily see someone like Denver moving up and us getting their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

At 21, I'd be happy to pick Okoye or Poslouzny

With a extra R2 or R3 pick I can see us packaging them together and moving up back into the bottom of R1 and signing one or the other if they are still there.

A Day 1 of Amobi Okoye NT, Paul Posluzny LB (S or M) and an OL in the 3rd will be a brilliant effort.

Comment

Originally posted by andyxc71
                    Probably not a value pick at 12, but if Marv thinks we need a top DT, he just might be an option. If CB or MLB become priority #1, then we can hope Justin Harrell falls to us in RD 2. McCargo and Harrell could become a nasty duo in the middle of the defense. If Patrick Willis is our 1st rounder, that should shore up the run defense for us. The problem is, what do we do when Clements bolts? I like the possibility of grabbing Tory James. He shouldn't be too expensive and he can play while we develop Youboty and another youngster as the future starter.
                    With regard to the CB, I think Ahmad Carroll and Mike Rumph are UFA and I would be surprised to see if Andre Woolfork was released by the Titans. All will be interesting pickups. I also see the a CB in the 4th round maybe Jonathan Wade or Travarous Hampton

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Night Train
                      You're not impressed, based on blind loyalty to a anonymous scouting report by espn ?

Have you ever seen him play ? I have and he's constantly double teamed and still makes plays at the LOS.
                      Yes, I have seen him play. His numbers don't support your 'playmaking' label that you've given him. I haven't seen you mention this guys name before ESPN and other big news groups blew his name up, what's up with that?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Yes, I have seen him play. His numbers don't support your 'playmaking' label that you've given him. I haven't seen you mention this guys name before ESPN and other big news groups blew his name up, what's up with that?
                        Watch him again then, and then again and again. The kid makes plays and its not that he is the one making them. He takes up blockers and frees up lanes for his LB's, he collapses pockets, and he does alot of things that you dont see 19 year olds doing. DT is not a glamour posistion his stats will never likely be overly impressive.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Watch him again then, and then again and again. The kid makes plays and its not that he is the one making them. He takes up blockers and frees up lanes for his LB's, he collapses pockets, and he does alot of things that you dont see 19 year olds doing. DT is not a glamour posistion his stats will never likely be overly impressive.
                          I never said DT was a glamour position, I'm not a newbie when it comes to football. Compare his stats to other DT's and you will realize that he is mostly hype and his high status is due to his potential and not past achievements.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

I never said DT was a glamour position, I'm not a newbie when it comes to football. Compare his stats to other DT's and you will realize that he is mostly hype and his high status is due to his potential and not past achievements.

compare his age and development and you'll see he's a couple of years behind the competition he faced too.he's not going to take the NFL by storm.it'll take him a couple years to adjust to the speed and strength of players in the NFL as well.
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                              compare his age and development and you'll see he's a couple of years behind the competition he faced too.he's not going to take the NFL by storm.it'll take him a couple years to adjust to the speed and strength of players in the NFL as well.
                              Like I said, his high draft status is due to his potential. Odds are that he will not be able to make a huge impact right away like many are implying. Maybe it's just me but I would rather take players who have done something and are NFL ready versus someone we are going to have to develop for years to come, just to have another team scoop him up when he becomes a free agent. Obviously, I cannot predict the future, but this pick has BUST written all over it..

Comment

Working...
                              X