PDA

View Full Version : The Last Position We Need In Round 1 Is..

Night Train
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Kicker or punter....kidding...It's WR ! We do not need to waste a 1st Round pick on a top WR.

I just had to listen to a fellow co-worker and season ticket holder blather on about the Bills biggest need is a top WR to replace Price, or a TE. He then kept going on about Jarrett of USC and Ginn of Ohio St. I know he doesn't follow college like I do and just read a mock draft somewhere. While it's still fresh in his mind, he comes to run it by me.

While I totally agree that Price is not the answer as our #2, I tried to explain to him that you do NOT select a #2 WR or a TE in Round 1 of the draft, with crying needs on the lines and MLB. :shakeno: . We already have a #1 WR in Evans.

I pointed out to him the the guys opposite Jarrett (Steve Smith) and Ginn (Anthony Gonzalez) are perfect #2 guys who run great patterns, find open space and have sure hands. Plus you could get them in Rounds 3-4. He says 'who ? " and walks away all mad because I didn't go along with it. :haha:

WR. I would NOT be happy if we selected one with our top pick. Or TE for that matter.

Question : What positions would you NOT want the Bills looking at in Round 1 this April ?

It's WR and TE for me. Also Safety and QB I suppose but they won't go there. I could make small to big cases for most other positions but can't make any case for WR or TE. :down:

L.A. Playa
01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Steve Smith is a great player and will make a good solid pro

dasaybz
01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Kicker or punter....kidding...It's WR ! We do not need to waste a 1st Round pick on a top WR.

I just had to listen to a fellow co-worker and season ticket holder blather on about the Bills biggest need is a top WR to replace Price, or a TE. He then kept going on about Jarrett of USC and Ginn of Ohio St. I know he doesn't follow college like I do and just read a mock draft somewhere. While it's still fresh in his mind, he comes to run it by me.

While I totally agree that Price is not the answer as our #2, I tried to explain to him that you do NOT select a #2 WR or a TE in Round 1 of the draft, with crying needs on the lines and MLB. :shakeno: . We already have a #1 WR in Evans.

I pointed out to him the the guys opposite Jarrett (Steve Smith) and Ginn (Anthony Gonzalez) are perfect #2 guys who run great patterns, find open space and have sure hands. Plus you could get them in Rounds 3-4. He says 'who ? " and walks away all mad because I didn't go along with it. :haha:

WR. I would NOT be happy if we selected one with our top pick. Or TE for that matter.

Question : What positions would you NOT want the Bills looking at in Round 1 this April ?

It's WR and TE for me. Also Safety and QB I suppose but they won't go there. I could make small to big cases for most other positions but can't make any case for WR or TE. :down:

I disagree with you. I think getting Losman another weapon opposite of Evans is exactly what we need. A guy like Jarrett is a game changer and he has the size and hands that Losman really needs. Our passing offense was futile this year and I know alot of that had to do with the play of our offensive line, but much of the futility has to go to our WR corps. Other than Evans, we are really pretty bad. Smith and Gonzalez are nice players, but I don't see them being much more productive than Reed or Price, whereas Jarrett could step right in and be a high impact player.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree that we shouldn't go WR, TE, QB or Safety, and I wouldn't go CB (even if we lose Nate), unless the brass is absolutely convinced that Youboty is not the answer. I would also stay away from RB, even though I'm not a big Willis fan. I think good RBs can be had a little later if we are looking in that direction.

I'd like to see a stud MLB in the first round, or a DT - but only if a real accomplished, big time run stuffer falls to us at 12.

Philagape
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
No WR, RB in first round

Build defense through the draft, offense through FA.

dasaybz
01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are going to be any quality WRs available through FA.

Philagape
01-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are going to be any quality WRs available through FA.

I'm thinking TE and the OL

ShadowHawk7
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
In terms of drafting OL this year, we need the most help at guard (or possibly RT) and to my knowledge, there is no OGs this year worth a first rounder, so that's out. I'm leaning towards a LB/CB/RB at this point for round one, and a OG in round 2 or 3.

Yasgur's Farm
01-12-2007, 01:01 PM
The round 1 pick at draft time will have everything to do with how many (and what) of our priorities where handled via free agency.

IMO... If Marv addresses our priority list from top down, we'll be drafting our 4th or 5th priority with round 1.

1- O-line
2- LB
3- DT
4- CB
5- WR
6- TE
7- Depth/future starters

X-Era
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Completely disagree. Another big time WR make Evans and our whole pass game better, furthermore a potent pass game can relieve the run by not allowing the D to stack the line.

But anyways, mine would be OT. Not because im against taking an OT, but because this team has a LT and Im just not fond of RT's at 12, especially in this draft.

X-Era
01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
The round 1 pick at draft time will have everything to do with how many (and what) of our priorities where handled via free agency.

IMO... If Marv addresses our priority list from top down, we'll be drafting our 4th or 5th priority with round 1.

1- O-line
2- LB
3- DT
4- CB
5- WR
6- TE
7- Depth/future starters

Amen, your list makes a ton of sense. I could easily see us thinking were set once we grab a OL, LB, and DT.

My arguement still remains that even if one of those positions slips to the draft, we STILL may take #4-#5 in the 1st because of whats the best value at our pick. Does Posluzny mean more to us than say Ginn Jr. or even Lynch if we think Willis is headed out the door? Im not sure the answer is yes.

I dont think you go into the draft saying I need the following positions in the draft AND in some order. I think locking into a position in each round based on how much we need it solely is a way to reach or not take the best prospects at your pick.

raphael120
01-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I disagree with you. I think getting Losman another weapon opposite of Evans is exactly what we need. A guy like Jarrett is a game changer and he has the size and hands that Losman really needs. Our passing offense was futile this year and I know alot of that had to do with the play of our offensive line, but much of the futility has to go to our WR corps. Other than Evans, we are really pretty bad. Smith and Gonzalez are nice players, but I don't see them being much more productive than Reed or Price, whereas Jarrett could step right in and be a high impact player.

ok, donahoe.

and JP's gonna have enough time to throw to him behind the awesome offensive line we'll draft along with all the glitzy skill positions, right?

Yasgur's Farm
01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Amen, your list makes a ton of sense. I could easily see us thinking were set once we grab a OL, LB, and DT.

My arguement still remains that even if one of those positions slips to the draft, we STILL may take #4-#5 in the 1st because of whats the best value at our pick. Does Posluzny mean more to us than say Ginn Jr. or even Lynch if we think Willis is headed out the door? Im not sure the answer is yes.

I dont think you go into the draft saying I need the following positions in the draft AND in some order. I think locking into a position in each round based on how much we need it solely is a way to reach or not take the best prospects at your pick.Exactly... Drafting solely by need is something that must be done out of desperation. We're past that if we nail some freakin FA's.

Yasgur's Farm
01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
ok, donahoe.

and JP's gonna have enough time to throw to him behind the awesome offensive line we'll draft along with all the glitzy skill positions, right?You're totally ignoring the free agent potential for the sake of your argument.

ublinkwescore
01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Our passing O was futile?

were you watching the same second half of the season as the rest of us?

sometimes we shot ourselves in the foot with the pass, but it wasn't futile.

ublinkwescore
01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
to me, First round depends on exactly what we've done in the FA market leading up to the draft.

for me, my first priority in addressing needs on this team goes like this:

DT or LB - I'd probably lean more towards LB (in the draft) since we should be getting McCargo back who will hopefully step it up a notch having a year on an NFL roster under his belt - and I'd hate to use two first rounders on DTs maybe putting a bigger faster LB behind them will help out immensely.
LB or CB (pending what we do with Clements/replace Clements with)
WR or TE (we need the 2nd recieving threat - early in the season, OL help would have been right below addressing the run D).
OG - I'm happy with the job Pennington and Peters have done on the outside, but that makes Gandy the weak link - we need to find a viable replacement for him.
If we can get Duckett before the draft, anyone for trading McGahee?

Ingtar33
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
outside of the colts... name one PRO BOWL WR on the remaining playoff teams.

can't huh? why? because only the colts have one.

WRs don't win NFL championships. OLs, and DLs do.

Philagape
01-12-2007, 06:37 PM
if we improve the line, all other skill players on offense will look better

Night Train
01-12-2007, 06:47 PM

In addition, we need to dump Price. That will make Evans look LOTS better.

A good #2 WR can arrive via FA or later in the draft.

kernowboy
01-12-2007, 06:55 PM
to me, First round depends on exactly what we've done in the FA market leading up to the draft.

for me, my first priority in addressing needs on this team goes like this:

DT or LB - I'd probably lean more towards LB (in the draft) since we should be getting McCargo back who will hopefully step it up a notch having a year on an NFL roster under his belt - and I'd hate to use two first rounders on DTs maybe putting a bigger faster LB behind them will help out immensely.
LB or CB (pending what we do with Clements/replace Clements with)
WR or TE (we need the 2nd recieving threat - early in the season, OL help would have been right below addressing the run D).
OG - I'm happy with the job Pennington and Peters have done on the outside, but that makes Gandy the weak link - we need to find a viable replacement for him.
If we can get Duckett before the draft, anyone for trading McGahee?

I think we can work some magic and get both Posluzny and Okoye in the draft - maybe a R1a and R1b by trading down the trading back up.

I'd like to see a RG to replace Villarial in FA (Diehl, Diehlmann) and a LT who can step in if Peters got injured but may eventually be the long term LG (Doug Free?)

If we can pick up Dan Graham in FA I'll be happy.

If we can get Duckett I'd trade mcGahee after the draft to a team who missed on a RB for a high R2 pick in 2008 allowing us to manoevre in a better RB draft

X-Era
01-12-2007, 08:29 PM
ok, donahoe.

and JP's gonna have enough time to throw to him behind the awesome offensive line we'll draft along with all the glitzy skill positions, right?

Donahoe?

He brought in Villarial, drafted Mike Williams with the #4 pick, Ross Tucker, Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson

He drafted a total of 1 1st round WR.

But TD wasted picks on glitzy, glamor skill players?

X-Era
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Totally agree, but spend our top picks on players who will take several years to become good like OT's usually do, or DT's for that matter while skipping out on a stud WR who could help us day one, if nothing else on returns?

Again, if we get FA's on the lines, they play right away and make an impact. Then we draft a skill player early who plays right away.

SABURZFAN
01-12-2007, 08:36 PM
But TD wasted picks on glitzy, glamor skill players?

he wasted three draft picks on losman.

G. Host
01-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Completely disagree. Another big time WR make Evans and our whole pass game better, furthermore a potent pass game can relieve the run by not allowing the D to stack the line.

But anyways, mine would be OT. Not because im against taking an OT, but because this team has a LT and Im just not fond of RT's at 12, especially in this draft.

Yep JP is not good enough placing balls like some other QBs so we need WRs who can fight for misplaced and overthrown balls.

X-Era
01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Yep JP is not good enough placing balls like some other QBs so we need WRs who can fight for misplaced and overthrown balls.

I guess that makes sense.... :rolleyes:

Nobody is scared of Peerless or Reed, but put Ginn Jr. or Jarrett on the other side of Evans and you demand attention.

Last time I checked, you can only have 11 defenders on the field at one time. Forcing attention at BOTH wr spots removes at least one defender from stacking the line. Thats one less defender to tackle Willis by waving a blade of grass at him.

TigerJ
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think the Bills will draft offensive line in round one. I don't think the Bills believe that offensive tackle is a need that warrants a first round pick at this point, and there is no interior lineman worthy of being taken at #12.

I'm also not expecting the Bills to pick a TE, RB or a DE (or a QB, FB, Safety, K or punter - obviously) in round one.

At this point I'm not ruling out LB, DT, WR, or CB. If Buffalo addresses other needs in free agency, I won't automatically throw up if they pick a WR, but it isn't the biggest need by any means, and he would have to be a true difference maker.

I want to see what happens in free agency before I narrow my focus too much on the draft and what the Bills should or shouldn't draft.

clumping platelets
01-12-2007, 10:35 PM
What happens on draft day depends on what happens in FA..........if the Bills sign DT Ian Scott and G Eric Steinbach, then a legitimate #2 WR becomes a serious possibility in rd 1.

It amazes me after how many years the Bills have been in the league that so many fans do NOT understand the draft. :shakeno:

It's NOT about short term fixes, the draft IS for long term

dasaybz
01-12-2007, 11:24 PM
ok, donahoe.

Maybe I'm missing something. Please point out where I said not to address the OLine.

Why should I have such a hardon about drafting an OLineman in the first round. There is nothing wrong with taking one in the second or third rounds. All I'm saying is if Jarret is there, you take him. If the best available player on the board is a WR, then that's what you take. I don't want to reach for an OLineman where we are drafting.

Please, enlighten me Mel Kiper. What OLineman are we taking with our first round pick?

Philagape
01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
What happens on draft day depends on what happens in FA..........if the Bills sign DT Ian Scott and G Eric Steinbach, then a legitimate #2 WR becomes a serious possibility in rd 1.

It amazes me after how many years the Bills have been in the league that so many fans do NOT understand the draft. :shakeno:

It's NOT about short term fixes, the draft IS for long term

That's why I list LB first. We need someone who can be a future defensive anchor.

Immediate needs on both lines should be fixed in FA, for we don't have time to let prospects develop there.

dasaybz
01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Our passing O was futile?

were you watching the same second half of the season as the rest of us?

sometimes we shot ourselves in the foot with the pass, but it wasn't futile.

Our passing O was futile indeed.
If you are happy with the way our offense was in the passing game by the end of the year than that is your problem. If you don't think that JP doesn't need another weapon on offense, then you are kidding yourself. Our WRs were pedestrian at best (minus Lee of course). A WR of Jarret's caliber would do wonders for Lee.

Believe me, I think that this team has many other needs, but if Jarret is sitting in our laps when we pick, we take him. No doubt.

dasaybz
01-12-2007, 11:28 PM
outside of the colts... name one PRO BOWL WR on the remaining playoff teams.

can't huh? why? because only the colts have one.

WRs don't win NFL championships. OLs, and DLs do.

So, since the Colts are the only team left with Pro Bowl WRs, we should ignore them.

Brilliant.

Philagape
01-12-2007, 11:40 PM
While I've been saying LB first, I wouldn't throw a fit if it were a DT or Jarrett. He's awfully tempting.

clumping platelets
01-12-2007, 11:58 PM
That's why I list LB first. We need someone who can be a future defensive anchor.

Immediate needs on both lines should be fixed in FA, for we don't have time to let prospects develop there.

But as our last draft class showed, Bills got the starting FS in rd 4, a solid contributor at LB in rd 6.....Bills went with Whitner in rd 1 because of need AND they felt he could contribute right away. It's not "cut in stone" that a team must address needs in any particular order come draft day but that's what I constantly read from my fellow fans

I would find it difficult to believe the Bills would pass up a WR like Calvin Johnson if they were in the position to do so. Bills could take a WR in rd 1 and then address LB, CB, or the lines in rd 2 and 3.....

LifetimeBillsFan
01-13-2007, 04:20 AM
I don't think the Bills will draft offensive line in round one. I don't think the Bills believe that offensive tackle is a need that warrants a first round pick at this point, and there is no interior lineman worthy of being taken at #12.

I'm also not expecting the Bills to pick a TE, RB or a DE (or a QB, FB, Safety, K or punter - obviously) in round one.

At this point I'm not ruling out LB, DT, WR, or CB. If Buffalo addresses other needs in free agency, I won't automatically throw up if they pick a WR, but it isn't the biggest need by any means, and he would have to be a true difference maker.

I want to see what happens in free agency before I narrow my focus too much on the draft and what the Bills should or shouldn't draft.

You said pretty much what I was going to say, TigerJ.

Other than Joe Thomas, I don't see there being an offensive lineman worth picking in the first round. Same with TE. And, the Bills are set at safety, QB, PK and punter. The Bills need interior linemen and a FB, but they can be had later in the draft.

After that, I think it depends primarily on what happens in free agency and, to a much lesser extent, on who is still available when they pick, keeping in mind that this just might be a good draft for them to trade down in if the right deal comes their way. At this stage the Bills potentially still have a lot of positions that they need to fill. Hopefully, they will be able to eliminate some of those positions in free agency and by resigning a couple of their own players who will be free agents. I don't think that the Bills are in a position where they can go strictly with the "Best Player Available" yet and ignore their positions of need--they are not very deep and still need to add talent at a number of critical positions before they will be able to do that--so I do think that need will still be a consideration in the picks that they make in this year's draft, particularly at the top of the draft.

I can't help remembering a comment that I heard someone make after the Chargers game: that the Bills were not able to compete yet with the elite teams in the league because they simply do not have the number of play-makers that those teams do--and in the Chargers' case, particularly on defense. I think that was a fair assessment. I would not be upset to see the Bills adding play-makers just about anywhere on their team at this stage (with the exception of the few positions where they already have players with that ability or potential) because the NFL has increasingly become about guys making plays and the more play-makers you have, the more likely it is that one of those play-makers will make a play. While I do think that the Bills have a greater need for more play-makers on the defensive side of the ball, depending on what happens in free agency, it would not surprise me to see them try to add another play-maker on offense if the opportunity presents itself. That's why, while I have talked a lot about them drafting a 1-gap DT or a MLB with their first pick in the draft, I have left the door open to the possibility that they just might surprise everyone by taking a WR (or much less likely IMHO a RB), instead.

kernowboy
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
I don't see us drafting a CB. With Youboty carrying a 1st round grade from last year I think we'll see what we have there first.

I don't see us draft OL or signing Steinbach. We need a big roadgrading RG and I think we'd look at David Diehl or Kris Dielman

At WR, we have already invested a lot of money in Reed and Price. Whilst someone like Jarrett would be of interest, Ginn Jr is very much a cloan of Evans .... JP doesn't need a big down the field threat, he needs a big possession guy and it won't have gone unnoticed how well Marques Colston has done. I see a big WR coming on Day2 and a TE in FA like Dan Graham maybe.

so the principle needs are a run stuffing NT and a LB to either replace either TKO or Fletcher.

I would like the first name called to be "pick traded to Denver or similar" ... with any luck this will allow us to trade down and (fingers crossed) draft Amobi Okoye ... with the extra Day1 pick I would (fingers crossed) then move up for Paul Posluzny ... in the 3rd we can look at grabbing a OL, and on Day2 I would not be unhappy if we ended up selecting Jonathan Wade CB, Zak DeOssie MLB, and WR from Brandon Myles, Rhema McKnight or even Dave Ball

Night Train
01-13-2007, 05:37 AM

I'm not Anti-LB but with the first pick ? I'm not sure any are worthy of that status.

We need a big MLB and most rated high are not big. Paul P. of Penn St. could be good but he did tear up his knee bad last year. He's a risk and probably doesn't fit this D. Willis of Miss. is too small (230lb.) and more suited to the outside. You look for one in Round 2 or 3, like Harris of Michigan.

I didn't even rule out RB, due to the Willis situation. If the Bills convince themselves he's not the answer or his agent poses a holdout threat, then they cannot leave themselves with only A- SlowTrain. They'd have to take a guy like Lynch of Cal. Doesn't seem to be any good RB FA's out there and the Chargers will probably keep Turner.

Need to be very active in Free Agency, prior to Draft day. Find Lineman and a MLB. Then once we go to camp, I'll observe whether we have a roster that looks stronger than the one we finished with in 2006. I'm betting we do.

kernowboy
01-13-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm not Anti-LB but with the first pick ? I'm not sure any are worthy of that status.

We need a big MLB and most rated high are not big. Paul P. of Penn St. could be good but he did tear up his knee bad last year. He's a risk and probably doesn't fit this D. Willis of Miss. is too small (230lb.) and more suited to the outside. You look for one in Round 2 or 3, like Harris of Michigan. I think we can get Posluzny in the high 2nd maybe - I think he strained rather than tore his knee up, it didn't need surgery. I think Zak DeOssie would be a nice Day2 pick and I wouldn't argue if we signed Caleb Miller from the Bengals. Not monsters but young and longterm upgrades. We need them behind a NT like Okoye though

I didn't even rule out RB, due to the Willis situation. If the Bills convince themselves he's not the answer or his agent poses a holdout threat, then they cannot leave themselves with only A- SlowTrain. They'd have to take a guy like Lynch of Cal. Doesn't seem to be any good RB FA's out there and the Chargers will probably keep Turner. I think we'll keep the Power dry until 2008. I think we could sign TJ Duckett and he could surprise in tandem with Thomas. If we trade McGahee after the draft, then we may land an extra pick in 2008 allowing us to move up in a better RB class

Need to be very active in Free Agency, prior to Draft day. Find Lineman and a MLB. Then once we go to camp, I'll observe whether we have a roster that looks stronger than the one we finished with in 2006. I'm betting we do. I think we'll resign Gandy and look at a big RG in Free Agency. On the defence I am not sure that there is any youngish quality there .. again at MLB there isn't much especially as youngsters like Henderson and Wilhelm are gone .. I think we may bring in some like Boss Bailey or Miller and simply have to go with a lighter MLB but change the way we used the corps to stop the longer runs

Night Train
01-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Good ideas. But let Gandy go. Sitting in the stands, I saw him get planted far too many times at Guard. Smith and Hainesworth just lawn darted him the entire Tenny game and that cinched it for me. He's terrible in pass protection and one of the reasons ( Preston is another ) why Losman doesn't have time to throw many times.

This team needs a Guard (2) upgrade in a bad way.

X-Era
01-13-2007, 09:25 AM

We need a big MLB and most rated high are not big. Paul P. of Penn St. could be good but he did tear up his knee bad last year. He's a risk and probably doesn't fit this D. Willis of Miss. is too small (230lb.) and more suited to the outside. You look for one in Round 2 or 3, like Harris of Michigan.

I didn't even rule out RB, due to the Willis situation. If the Bills convince themselves he's not the answer or his agent poses a holdout threat, then they cannot leave themselves with only A- SlowTrain. They'd have to take a guy like Lynch of Cal. Doesn't seem to be any good RB FA's out there and the Chargers will probably keep Turner.

Need to be very active in Free Agency, prior to Draft day. Find Lineman and a MLB. Then once we go to camp, I'll observe whether we have a roster that looks stronger than the one we finished with in 2006. I'm betting we do.

I think the concept here is this:

Why did the Rams take Torry Holt when Issac Bruce was there #1?

I pick them because they became one of the most prolific pass offenses ever with that combo.

You seem to ask what the benefit in adding JJ Stokes was when you have Rice and Taylor, or why take Reggie Wayne when you have Harrison, or why should the Giants take a 1st round WR when they have Plax Burress.

Its not are we "adequate" at #1 and #2 WR. Its that we have a 28th ranked passing O. How can we argue that we are all set at WR with that number?

A team that ranks that poorly and has an young QB coming into his own, and one that hoepfully improves the o-line BEFORE the draft, could potentially make hug strides forward from adding a zig to Evans's zag so to speak.

This team would be well served to make huge moves to get better.

Heres a scenario:

In FA, we grab a OG
Theres no MLB worthy of the 12 pick
In FA, we either resign Nate or sign a replacement
Lynch is gone before 12
Adams is gone before 12
Branch is gone before 12

Now, Tedd Ginn Jr. or Dwayne Jarrett is sitting there. The Bills potentially can add one of the top 2 young WR combos in the league and have a QB who is up and coming and has always had a great long ball. We have a chance to maybe jump up to the top half or better in passing in the league by adding this one additional home run hitter. We also can add (at least with Ginn) a player who can be our new returner and a proven threat to score.

So, we have no one else thats worthy of the 12 pick, one or both of these guys is sitting there, what do we do?

kernowboy
01-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Possibly but Marv and Dick will also look at the large number of WRs in the draft and the lack of quality elsewhere.

As in the thread about the depth at each position, depth at WR is always relatively deep ... however in FA and the draft the depth at DT is marginal. I think we would not want to pick Okoye at 12 but we may look to trade down for him.

If we look at some of the better WRs who have been had outside of R1 there are a huge number .. interesting Issac Bruce was not a R1 neither was Darrell Jackson (Seahawks), T.O (Cowboys), or Chad Johnson (Bengals) ... with FA poor in our areas of need, we are likely to fill those needs first.

What use is a top WR, if we cannot even get the offence on the field?

X-Era
01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Possibly but Marv and Dick will also look at the large number of WRs in the draft and the lack of quality elsewhere.

As in the thread about the depth at each position, depth at WR is always relatively deep ... however in FA and the draft the depth at DT is marginal. I think we would not want to pick Okoye at 12 but we may look to trade down for him.

If we look at some of the better WRs who have been had outside of R1 there are a huge number .. interesting Issac Bruce was not a R1 neither was Darrell Jackson (Seahawks), T.O (Cowboys), or Chad Johnson (Bengals) ... with FA poor in our areas of need, we are likely to fill those needs first.

What use is a top WR, if we cannot even get the offence on the field?

No disagreement. I simply will not say we must get this or that.

Your points on the money, we must play to the strengths of the draft and FA.

I guess my main point is that our #2 WR position could easily be construed as a need position. Then, I can see at this point that we could make an arguement that Ginn Jr. or Jarrett was too much value to pass up. Especially considering what we need, whos worthy of the 12 pick, and whos likely to be there.

Im seeing a significant chance that:

There WONT be a MLB worthy of the spot
There WONT be a DT worthy of the spot and still available
There WONT be a DE worthy of the spot and still available
There MAY be a CB worthy of the spot and still available
There WONT be a OG, or C, or even RT worthy of the spot and still available
There WILL be a RB worthy of the spot or even higher and still available
There WILL be a WR or even 2 worthy of the spot or even higher still available

Thats a long way of saying that if we play to the strength of the draft here, we can make a good case that the value for a Lynch, Ginn, or Jarrett was too good for us to pass up.

However, this is all still VERY early and will change Im sure.

If Okoye ends up worthy a top 10 selection but drops to 12, that makes sense. If Ginn, Jarrett, or Lynch ends up worthy a top 10 selection but drops to 12, that also makes sense.

However, if Ginn, Jarrett, Lynch are worthy of a lower than 12 pick, and Okoye is worthy of a 12 pick, you shouldnt reach and take the WR/RB. Thats ALSO true for DT, dont draft one that ranks less than 12 at 12, while skipping a WR/RB who ranks top 10 but is still at 12.

kernowboy
01-13-2007, 11:43 AM
No disagreement. I simply will not say we must get this or that.

Your points on the money, we must play to the strengths of the draft and FA.

I guess my main point is that our #2 WR position could easily be construed as a need position. Then, I can see at this point that we could make an arguement that Ginn Jr. or Jarrett was too much value to pass up. Especially considering what we need, whos worthy of the 12 pick, and whos likely to be there.

Im seeing a significant chance that:

There WONT be a MLB worthy of the spot
There WONT be a DT worthy of the spot and still available
There WONT be a DE worthy of the spot and still available
There MAY be a CB worthy of the spot and still available
There WONT be a OG, or C, or even RT worthy of the spot and still available
There WILL be a RB worthy of the spot or even higher and still available
There WILL be a WR or even 2 worthy of the spot or even higher still available

Thats a long way of saying that if we play to the strength of the draft here, we can make a good case that the value for a Lynch, Ginn, or Jarrett was too good for us to pass up.

However, this is all still VERY early and will change Im sure.

If Okoye ends up worthy a top 10 selection but drops to 12, that makes sense. If Ginn, Jarrett, or Lynch ends up worthy a top 10 selection but drops to 12, that also makes sense.

However, if Ginn, Jarrett, Lynch are worthy of a lower than 12 pick, and Okoye is worthy of a 12 pick, you shouldnt reach and take the WR/RB. Thats ALSO true for DT, dont draft one that ranks less than 12 at 12, while skipping a WR/RB who ranks top 10 but is still at 12.

I think we might look to move around from the 12 spot, maybe downwards and get an extra R2 or R3. After all we got Clements dropping 7 places and that extra pick became Henry

X-Era
01-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I think we might look to move around from the 12 spot, maybe downwards and get an extra R2 or R3. After all we got Clements dropping 7 places and that extra pick became Henry

It could happen of course. I hope your not saying that because your locked into getting a certain player or position at any cost.

ublinkwescore
01-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Totally agree, but spend our top picks on players who will take several years to become good like OT's usually do, or DT's for that matter while skipping out on a stud WR who could help us day one, if nothing else on returns?

Again, if we get FA's on the lines, they play right away and make an impact. Then we draft a skill player early who plays right away.

That does make a lot of sense.

ublinkwescore
01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
It could happen of course. I hope your not saying that because your locked into getting a certain player or position at any cost.

That certainly worked for Marv last year - I'm happy with Whitner, and the jury's still out on McCargo.

more cowbell
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
sidney rice

Philagape
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
We did learn last year that Marv will take who he wants to take regardless of whether anyone thinks it's a reach.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-13-2007, 02:39 PM
We did learn last year that Marv will take who he wants to take regardless of whether anyone thinks it's a reach.

That is something that we all should keep foremost in our minds in a discussion like this! Marv's gonna do what Marv's gonna do....

While I'm not married to "value charts" the way some folks are when it comes to the draft (when you talk about a player's ranking the question always is, "on whose draft board?"--not everyone ranks players exactly the same way) and feel that there is nothing wrong with taking a player ranked # 13 over a player ranked # 10 at the # 12 spot if that # 13 ranked player fills a need and the # 10 player does not (especially if there is a group of players very closely bunched together and there is not a great deal of difference between the # 10 player and the # 13 player), I can see your point jp-era.

That is why, even though I disagree with you about the quality of the DTs and MLBs (in particular, Willis) at the top of this draft, I keep saying that it would not surprise me if the Bills were to opt to try to take a play-making WR with their first pick in this draft. Depending on how they see this draft going and what they are able to do in free agency--where they have already made it clear that they are only likely to add one or at most two big-ticket players in any off-season--I can certainly see them concluding that they can afford to add another play-maker on offense early on in the draft and still fill their remaining needs on defense and the offensive line later on.

And, in that sense, I do agree with you, jp-era, that it would be foolish for us to lock in on any particular position as the one that the Bills must address first in the draft--especially at this point in time before free agency has even begun.

sidney rice

That's a name that keeps rattling around in my head (should tell you how empty my head is...:lol:). Sidney Rice is a guy who just might be available late in the first or possibly even in the second round and he is just the kind of WR the Bills need: a big, tall WR with speed. He reminds me a bit of Eric Moulds, only taller and skinnier. He's come a long way in college and was a very dangerous play-maker and reliable receiver for So.Carolina this year.

Another guy who is a big-play WR, although a little smaller, who seems to be slipping under the radar a bit and might be available later is Dallas Baker of Florida.

There are some positions in this draft that are definitely going to be deeper than other positions (same with free agency). What the Bills' braintrust is going to have to do is look at the positions that they have to fill and try to come up with the best combination of talent that they feel can fill those spots--with what they feel they can do in free agency as well as in the draft. It's a matter of guaging how much of a drop-off in talent there is at these various positions and how much of a drop-off is acceptable and how much isn't. (For example: there appears to be quite a bit of a drop-off in talent after the top DTs and MLBs, with the top DTs ranking higher in most scouts' eyes than the top MLBs, and less of a drop-off at WR, CB and OLB, even though the top OLBs don't seem to be ranked all that high in comparison to the top DTs, WRs, CBs, etc.)

LifetimeBillsFan
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Depending on what they have been able to do in free agency and what kind of offer they get, I can also very easily see the Bills trading down out of the # 12 spot on draft day to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The Bills might see that they can trade down a few places and still get a guy that they really like and pick up an extra first day pick. With the depth at WR and CB in this draft, they could use that extra pick on one of those positions or on an interior lineman or OLB. With as much emphasis as this staff seems to put on the draft and developing their own players and with the Bills having given up a pick for Hargrove, I don't think it is out of the question to consider that they may seek to get that pick back at some point if they can still get the player that they really want in a particular round.

Night Train
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
How many touches does a rookie WR get ? Maybe 40-50 ? Is that going to draw the double team off of Evans ? Probably not. Impact ? Little.

If I see a dice roll in Round 1 outside of the lines, it would be at RB, with McGahee looking worse every day. Having the #24 ranked RB as your starter, after spending a 1st round pick on him, is called "Disappointing" . That comment came straight from the owner who writes the checks. I sense a short shelf life in Buffalo for #21.

A starting RB, rookie or not, touches the ball 250-300 times between runs and catches. And he better produce, since his production is most vital to the success of the Offense. The Bills rode Thurmans backside for many years, which allowed Kelly to succeed. Not vice versa. Think Willis is viewed as Mr. Dependable right now ? Hahahaha !

So if we think out of the box of the lines or LB, RB does make sense. Don't give me that broad brush that we can pick up " someone " in FA. "Someone" isn't there. I read where San Diego will pay the 1st round tender fee to retain RFA Michael Turner, so pitch that fantasy. That leaves...who ?

Why do I get the feeling Modrak and Co. will be standing right on top of Cal RB Marshawn Lynch at the Indy combine ?

X-Era
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
How many touches does a rookie WR get ? Maybe 40-50 ? Is that going to draw the double team off of Evans ? Probably not. Impact ? Little.

If I see a dice roll in Round 1 outside of the lines, it would be at RB, with McGahee looking worse every day. Having the #24 ranked RB as your starter, after spending a 1st round pick on him, is called "Disappointing" . That comment came straight from the owner who writes the checks. I sense a short shelf life in Buffalo for #21.

A starting RB, rookie or not, touches the ball 250-300 times between runs and catches. And he better produce, since his production is most vital to the success of the Offense. The Bills rode Thurmans backside for many years, which allowed Kelly to succeed. Not vice versa. Think Willis is viewed as Mr. Dependable right now ? Hahahaha !

So if we think out of the box of the lines or LB, RB does make sense. Don't give me that broad brush that we can pick up " someone " in FA. "Someone" isn't there. I read where San Diego will pay the 1st round tender fee to retain RFA Michael Turner, so pitch that fantasy. That leaves...who ?

Why do I get the feeling Modrak and Co. will be standing right on top of Cal RB Marshawn Lynch at the Indy combine ?

I think its very possible that we look hard at a insurance RB on day one. Michael Bush may drop to the 2nd due to coming off a broken leg. Before the break we would have been talking about Bush in the top 10-20 picks. Hed be a great grab in round 2.

At FB, the Inta-Juice game showcased a day two guy who could be a great pickup for us in Corey Anderson FB, Tenn. The guy is 6' 3" 270lbs! How many sacks did we give up when our RB's missed the blocks? How about have a 270Lb. FB to block? The guy has great hands too and is a great lead blocker.

X-Era
01-13-2007, 04:02 PM

I think you could safely take our pass attempts and consider 50-75% of them go to our WR's, mainly #1 and #2, thats 429 attempts by Losman, of which 210 or more will go to our WR's. Id anticipate more like 100 touches for both our #1 and #2 WR's.