The Last Position We Need In Round 1 Is..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

The Last Position We Need In Round 1 Is..

Kicker or punter....kidding...It's WR ! We do not need to waste a 1st Round pick on a top WR.

I just had to listen to a fellow co-worker and season ticket holder blather on about the Bills biggest need is a top WR to replace Price, or a TE. He then kept going on about Jarrett of USC and Ginn of Ohio St. I know he doesn't follow college like I do and just read a mock draft somewhere. While it's still fresh in his mind, he comes to run it by me.

While I totally agree that Price is not the answer as our #2, I tried to explain to him that you do NOT select a #2 WR or a TE in Round 1 of the draft, with crying needs on the lines and MLB. . We already have a #1 WR in Evans.

I pointed out to him the the guys opposite Jarrett (Steve Smith) and Ginn (Anthony Gonzalez) are perfect #2 guys who run great patterns, find open space and have sure hands. Plus you could get them in Rounds 3-4. He says 'who ? " and walks away all mad because I didn't go along with it.

WR. I would NOT be happy if we selected one with our top pick. Or TE for that matter.

Question : What positions would you NOT want the Bills looking at in Round 1 this April ?

It's WR and TE for me. Also Safety and QB I suppose but they won't go there. I could make small to big cases for most other positions but can't make any case for WR or TE.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

Re: The Last Position We Need In Round 1 Is..

Steve Smith is a great player and will make a good solid pro

Comment

• dasaybz
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
      Kicker or punter....kidding...It's WR ! We do not need to waste a 1st Round pick on a top WR.

I just had to listen to a fellow co-worker and season ticket holder blather on about the Bills biggest need is a top WR to replace Price, or a TE. He then kept going on about Jarrett of USC and Ginn of Ohio St. I know he doesn't follow college like I do and just read a mock draft somewhere. While it's still fresh in his mind, he comes to run it by me.

While I totally agree that Price is not the answer as our #2, I tried to explain to him that you do NOT select a #2 WR or a TE in Round 1 of the draft, with crying needs on the lines and MLB. . We already have a #1 WR in Evans.

I pointed out to him the the guys opposite Jarrett (Steve Smith) and Ginn (Anthony Gonzalez) are perfect #2 guys who run great patterns, find open space and have sure hands. Plus you could get them in Rounds 3-4. He says 'who ? " and walks away all mad because I didn't go along with it.

WR. I would NOT be happy if we selected one with our top pick. Or TE for that matter.

Question : What positions would you NOT want the Bills looking at in Round 1 this April ?

It's WR and TE for me. Also Safety and QB I suppose but they won't go there. I could make small to big cases for most other positions but can't make any case for WR or TE.
      I disagree with you. I think getting Losman another weapon opposite of Evans is exactly what we need. A guy like Jarrett is a game changer and he has the size and hands that Losman really needs. Our passing offense was futile this year and I know alot of that had to do with the play of our offensive line, but much of the futility has to go to our WR corps. Other than Evans, we are really pretty bad. Smith and Gonzalez are nice players, but I don't see them being much more productive than Reed or Price, whereas Jarrett could step right in and be a high impact player.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I agree that we shouldn't go WR, TE, QB or Safety, and I wouldn't go CB (even if we lose Nate), unless the brass is absolutely convinced that Youboty is not the answer. I would also stay away from RB, even though I'm not a big Willis fan. I think good RBs can be had a little later if we are looking in that direction.

I'd like to see a stud MLB in the first round, or a DT - but only if a real accomplished, big time run stuffer falls to us at 12.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

No WR, RB in first round

Build defense through the draft, offense through FA.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• dasaybz
            • Apr 2005

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are going to be any quality WRs available through FA.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dasaybz
              Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are going to be any quality WRs available through FA.
              I'm thinking TE and the OL
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                • Mar 2003

In terms of drafting OL this year, we need the most help at guard (or possibly RT) and to my knowledge, there is no OGs this year worth a first rounder, so that's out. I'm leaning towards a LB/CB/RB at this point for round one, and a OG in round 2 or 3.
                "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

The round 1 pick at draft time will have everything to do with how many (and what) of our priorities where handled via free agency.

IMO... If Marv addresses our priority list from top down, we'll be drafting our 4th or 5th priority with round 1.

1- O-line
                  2- LB
                  3- DT
                  4- CB
                  5- WR
                  6- TE
                  7- Depth/future starters

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train

Completely disagree. Another big time WR make Evans and our whole pass game better, furthermore a potent pass game can relieve the run by not allowing the D to stack the line.

But anyways, mine would be OT. Not because im against taking an OT, but because this team has a LT and Im just not fond of RT's at 12, especially in this draft.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                      The round 1 pick at draft time will have everything to do with how many (and what) of our priorities where handled via free agency.

IMO... If Marv addresses our priority list from top down, we'll be drafting our 4th or 5th priority with round 1.

1- O-line
                      2- LB
                      3- DT
                      4- CB
                      5- WR
                      6- TE
                      7- Depth/future starters
                      Amen, your list makes a ton of sense. I could easily see us thinking were set once we grab a OL, LB, and DT.

My arguement still remains that even if one of those positions slips to the draft, we STILL may take #4-#5 in the 1st because of whats the best value at our pick. Does Posluzny mean more to us than say Ginn Jr. or even Lynch if we think Willis is headed out the door? Im not sure the answer is yes.

I dont think you go into the draft saying I need the following positions in the draft AND in some order. I think locking into a position in each round based on how much we need it solely is a way to reach or not take the best prospects at your pick.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

I disagree with you. I think getting Losman another weapon opposite of Evans is exactly what we need. A guy like Jarrett is a game changer and he has the size and hands that Losman really needs. Our passing offense was futile this year and I know alot of that had to do with the play of our offensive line, but much of the futility has to go to our WR corps. Other than Evans, we are really pretty bad. Smith and Gonzalez are nice players, but I don't see them being much more productive than Reed or Price, whereas Jarrett could step right in and be a high impact player.
                        ok, donahoe.

and JP's gonna have enough time to throw to him behind the awesome offensive line we'll draft along with all the glitzy skill positions, right?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                          Amen, your list makes a ton of sense. I could easily see us thinking were set once we grab a OL, LB, and DT.

My arguement still remains that even if one of those positions slips to the draft, we STILL may take #4-#5 in the 1st because of whats the best value at our pick. Does Posluzny mean more to us than say Ginn Jr. or even Lynch if we think Willis is headed out the door? Im not sure the answer is yes.

I dont think you go into the draft saying I need the following positions in the draft AND in some order. I think locking into a position in each round based on how much we need it solely is a way to reach or not take the best prospects at your pick.
                          Exactly... Drafting solely by need is something that must be done out of desperation. We're past that if we nail some freakin FA's.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
                            ok, donahoe.

and JP's gonna have enough time to throw to him behind the awesome offensive line we'll draft along with all the glitzy skill positions, right?
                            You're totally ignoring the free agent potential for the sake of your argument.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              Sab and TD are insignificant
                              • Sep 2002

Our passing O was futile?

were you watching the same second half of the season as the rest of us?

sometimes we shot ourselves in the foot with the pass, but it wasn't futile.
                              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                              X