Maybe the Bills best years we're just really just average years against a bad conf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Maybe the Bills best years we're just really just average years against a bad conf.

After watching all the SB stuff this afternoon I really had a revelation about all those years we went to the SB and lost. Our AFC conference itself was very weak and we had home field advantage thanks to abusing our division. We lost 4 SB's in a row, which will probably never happen again (parity) & simply because we might have just been the best of the worse in the NFL and padded our stats. I hate to say all this but after we bowed out, San diego stepped into the SB as a 19 point underdog and lost by 23.

We may have just been the best of a very bad conference but never the class of the league. Our best chance of winning was against the giants but from there on out, we never had a real chance. All sad but looking back at it, maybe all too true.

There was a 13 years NFL run as well.
    Last edited by Mitchy moo; 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM.
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Re: Maybe the Bills best years we're just really just average years against a bad conf.

dude, you figured this out like 15 years late.
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Re: Maybe the Bills best years we're just really just average years against a bad conf.

XXXI

Green Bay PackersNew England Patriots
      35-21

New Orleans, LA
      XXX

Dallas Cowboys Pittsburgh Steelers
      27-17

Tempe, AZ
      XXIX

San Francisco 49ersSan Diego Chargers
      49-26

Miami, FL
      XXVIII

Dallas Cowboys Buffalo Bills
      30-13

Atlanta, GA
      XXVII

Dallas Cowboys Buffalo Bills
      52-17

Pasadena, CA
      XXVI

Washington Redskins Buffalo Bills
      37-24

Minneapolis, MN
      XXV

New York GiantsBuffalo Bills
      20-19

Tampa, FL
      XXIV

San Francisco 49ersDenver Broncos
      55-10

New Orleans, LA
      XXIII

San Francisco 49ersCincinnati Bengals
      20-16

Miami, FL
      XXII

Washington Redskins Denver Broncos
      42-10

San Diego, CA
      XXI

New York GiantsDenver Broncos
      39-20

Pasadena, CA
      XX

Chicago Bears New England Patriots
      46-10

New Orleans, LA
      XIX

San Francisco 49ersMiami Dolphins
      38-16

Stanford, CA

490 points scored by the NFC and 219 points for AFC= So the NFC average a 38-17 win margin or ~3 TD's every superbowl, ouch.

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

ug...this is like bringing up being abused as a child or somethin..can we just forget about it???

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

unless I've completely forgotten, but weren't the Bills always 4-0 or so vs the NFC each of those years... and didn't the AFC win the season series vs the NFC each of those years?

I think that 13 year stretch of dominance can't be placed on such a simple explanation of Conference Dominence.

1) you had a full fledged dynasty in the NFC during that stretch in the 49ers (4 superbowl wins).
          2) you had perhaps the strongest division in football, in the NFC east over a chunk of that period of time (7 superbowl wins including the cowboys).
          3) you had a 2nd full fledged Dynasty popping up in the NFC, with the Dallas Cowboys (3 superbowl wins).

Now Full Dynasties are a coin flip for the most part. They land in the NFL 1 to 2 times a decade or so it seems, we're looking at a 13 year stretch of time, it was pure chance that 2 would land back to back in the same conference.

Some of those superbowls were fluky (superbowl 23, 25 & 30), some were well deserved blowouts (none of the Broncos teams were close to the best team in the AFC, they just had the best player in the NFL on them). Some of those AFC teams that were slaughtered in the superbowl, fluked into the superbowl besting superior competition in the playoffs thanks to great luck, injuries, choke jobs and weather.

In essence the AFC rarely sent it's best team over those 13 years, due to better competition in the conference, leading to injuries and chance playing a larger role... while the NFC, a weaker conference for the most part of the last 25 years, sent it's best team every single year in large part due to the lack of serious competition, limiting the chance something fluky will knock them out, and lowering the chance of catastrophic injury, or frayed nerves..

In the case of the Bills, I'd say only the first two Superbowls were we the unquestioned best team in the AFC.

The Bills spanked the Giants in the Meadowlands (or were on the path to spanking the Giants, before Kelly went down) during our first run. That Bills team was the best team in the league, and their loss to the Giants was a perfect storm of fluky events. Had that game been played 10 times the Bills probably would have won 9 of them.

The 2nd Bills team was easily the best AFC team that year, however, we did not have a strong defense, and were running up against perhaps the best Superbowl team outside of the 15-1 Bears during that 13 win NFC stretch. That Redskin team was 1st in Offense and 1st in Defense. Had our 2nd superbowl team played 1/2 of the NFC champs over that 13 year stretch I'm willing to bet we would have blown them out of the building. Heck, we probably would have beat all of them except for the Bears.. and Redskins.

The 3rd superbowl team was the weakest AFC champ outside of 1989 Broncos or 1995 Chargers. They were blown out for a reason.

The 4th team was a good football team, not a great one. Sometimes those teams win the superbowl (1986 & 1990 Giants, 1987 Redskins). Mostly they get blown out.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            unless I've completely forgotten, but weren't the Bills always 4-0 or so vs the NFC each of those years... and didn't the AFC win the season series vs the NFC each of those years?

I think that 13 year stretch of dominance can't be placed on such a simple explanation of Conference Dominence.

1) you had a full fledged dynasty in the NFC during that stretch in the 49ers (4 superbowl wins).
            2) you had perhaps the strongest division in football, in the NFC east over a chunk of that period of time (7 superbowl wins including the cowboys).
            3) you had a 2nd full fledged Dynasty popping up in the NFC, with the Dallas Cowboys (3 superbowl wins).

Now Full Dynasties are a coin flip for the most part. They land in the NFL 1 to 2 times a decade or so it seems, we're looking at a 13 year stretch of time, it was pure chance that 2 would land back to back in the same conference.

Some of those superbowls were fluky (superbowl 23, 25 & 30), some were well deserved blowouts (none of the Broncos teams were close to the best team in the AFC, they just had the best player in the NFL on them). Some of those AFC teams that were slaughtered in the superbowl, fluked into the superbowl besting superior competition in the playoffs thanks to great luck, injuries, choke jobs and weather.

In essence the AFC rarely sent it's best team over those 13 years, due to better competition in the conference, leading to injuries and chance playing a larger role... while the NFC, a weaker conference for the most part of the last 25 years, sent it's best team every single year in large part due to the lack of serious competition, limiting the chance something fluky will knock them out, and lowering the chance of catastrophic injury, or frayed nerves..

In the case of the Bills, I'd say only the first two Superbowls were we the unquestioned best team in the AFC.

The Bills spanked the Giants in the Meadowlands (or were on the path to spanking the Giants, before Kelly went down) during our first run. That Bills team was the best team in the league, and their loss to the Giants was a perfect storm of fluky events. Had that game been played 10 times the Bills probably would have won 9 of them.

The 2nd Bills team was easily the best AFC team that year, however, we did not have a strong defense, and were running up against perhaps the best Superbowl team outside of the 15-1 Bears during that 13 win NFC stretch. That Redskin team was 1st in Offense and 1st in Defense. Had our 2nd superbowl team played 1/2 of the NFC champs over that 13 year stretch I'm willing to bet we would have blown them out of the building. Heck, we probably would have beat all of them except for the Bears.. and Redskins.

The 3rd superbowl team was the weakest AFC champ outside of 1989 Broncos or 1995 Chargers. They were blown out for a reason.

The 4th team was a good football team, not a great one. Sometimes those teams win the superbowl (1986 & 1990 Giants, 1987 Redskins). Mostly they get blown out.
            Wow, this maybe the post of the year for accuracy. You nailed it dead on here.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Yeah, the Bills had a very high winning percentage against the NFL during their SB years. So it wasn't simply just a matter of beating-up on a weak conference, although it partly was.

Comment

• G. Host
                Banned
                • Jul 2002

I think the NFC teams were weaker duing that period (Check AFC-NFC stats) but that by the time a team got to the Superbowl they were beat up and an opponent had game film on how to exploit whatever weaknesses existed in AFC team.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

This is a stupid post and shows how young Skooby is. The Bills beat the Giants earlier in the year and if Norwood makes the kick, even though we got outcoached, we win the game. The Redskins are now considered one of the best Superbowl team ever and nobody was beating them that year. Dallas caught lightening in a bottle, much like we did in 88-90. Realistically we should have been 1-3 and not 0-4 but that's the way it went. Let's not over analyze it.

Let's hope the Sabres win the Cup this year. I think this is the first time ever that a Buffalo team really is the favorite and the team to beat!! Even in 1990 we didn't have Superbowl players and coaches like the Giants and that was the difference.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    This is a stupid post and shows how young Skooby is. The Bills beat the Giants earlier in the year and if Norwood makes the kick, even though we got outcoached, we win the game. The Redskins are now considered one of the best Superbowl team ever and nobody was beating them that year. Dallas caught lightening in a bottle, much like we did in 88-90. Realistically we should have been 1-3 and not 0-4 but that's the way it went. Let's not over analyze it.

Let's hope the Sabres win the Cup this year. I think this is the first time ever that a Buffalo team really is the favorite and the team to beat!! Even in 1990 we didn't have Superbowl players and coaches like the Giants and that was the difference.
                    HH, you are rehashing just what I said and saying my post is stupid makes yours even stupider.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Re: Maybe the Bills best years we're just really just average years against a bad con

NFC East was so damn competitive in those years it made them dominant in the long run because they had to fight so hard all year long.

As far as the Dynasties go...I'd like to say they went the wayside with FA but NE has already won three in this decade and still with four years to go. I guess it really comes down to the whole team/organization clicking and then you have a dynasty. Sure wish that would happen here.

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

You beat me to it Skoob. Post of the year.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Turf
                          You beat me to it Skoob. Post of the year.
                          I mean my god you don't see a post this good maybe once in your whole lifetime. It broke down pretty much everything and really was dead on accurate, wow!
                          Last edited by Mitchy moo; 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Bling
                            • Jul 2004

I can't figure who's posted the funniest thing: Skooby, HHURRICANE or Ingtar.

Comment

• feelthepain
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
                              After watching all the SB stuff this afternoon I really had a revelation about all those years we went to the SB and lost. Our AFC conference itself was very weak and we had home field advantage thanks to abusing our division. We lost 4 SB's in a row, which will probably never happen again (parity) & simply because we might have just been the best of the worse in the NFL and padded our stats. I hate to say all this but after we bowed out, San diego stepped into the SB as a 19 point underdog and lost by 23.

We may have just been the best of a very bad conference but never the class of the league. Our best chance of winning was against the giants but from there on out, we never had a real chance. All sad but looking back at it, maybe all too true.

There was a 13 years NFL run as well.

....ya think?

Comment

Working...
                              X