• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

The ice at the HSBC Arena

Alot of people called up WGR today saying that there looked to be a problem with the ice last night (vs TOR 1/11), because of the way the puck was bouncing around the whole game. Brad Riter later called up Schopp and The Bulldog during the show, and he even said that many people asked him last night if the ice was bad. He went on to say that over the past few weeks, alot of the Sabres have been complaing about the condition of the ice, behind closed doors. Nobody wants to come forward, though, and make the HSBC staff feel like they're not doing thier job. I don't know, but if i was on the team and the ice was giving me problems, i wouldnt hesitate to bring it up with someone. I realize that this is no excuse for poor play, and that the other team is playing on the same ice, but its a problem that needs to be resolved ASAP.

I've been saying this since this year the puck is bouncing all over the place maybe this is why the players don't shoot
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: The ice at the HSBC Arena

I wonder what the change in the weather did...I know the ice at curling tonight was terrible. Not saying that they are the same but we did go from temps in the 50s to 20s and then back warm again.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      I wonder what the change in the weather did...I know the ice at curling tonight was terrible. Not saying that they are the same but we did go from temps in the 50s to 20s and then back warm again.
      I don't think the weather is the problem because if you think about it the NHL playoffs are in May & June the summer. But I did notice when I went to the Pittsburgh game the other night it was confortable while the few games I went to last year it was like an igloo in there I couldn't even take off my jacket it was so cold.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        I don't think the weather is the problem because if you think about it the NHL playoffs are in May & June the summer. But I did notice when I went to the Pittsburgh game the other night it was confortable while the few games I went to last year it was like an igloo in there I couldn't even take off my jacket it was so cold.
        in May and June the temperature outside is pretty consistant (not too many 30 degree days in a row in those months). could it not be a problem when there are temperature swings? that was my point.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          in May and June the temperature outside is pretty consistant (not too many 30 degree days in a row in those months). could it not be a problem when there are temperature swings? that was my point.
          Could be. Either way, I noticed a difference in the last few games that I went to. There has definitely been some problems with that ice lately and LOSman wins is right, it's barely cold in there. I remember the playoff games, I was freezing. Not lately, its average in there, dont need a jacket either.

Comment

• SkateZilla
            • Dec 2002

while it may be ice, from my experience, it looks liek the pucks arent frozen, when the pucks are thawed they are like gumball machine rubber balls, they go all over the place... last nite was a prime example...
            Skate Zilla
            -----------------------
            Skate Zilla HD Studios:
            SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

How hard is it to make sure that your ice is nice and cold and solid?

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

Obviously pretty hard.

Comment

• GThirst
                  • Jul 2006

Anyone go to the Pepsi Center? It gets pretty rediculous how bad the ice is. It starts the day good. Then the figure skaters come on and there are huge divets. Then they Zamboni it, but its not all that effective with the huge divets. Then you get 250 people circulating within an hour and the ice becomes horrid.

I wonder what level of badness HSBC is, because skating gets pretty tough and probably even worse for pucks.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by GThirst
                    Then the figure skaters come on.
                    Vanek skates at the Pepsi Center?

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Jan 2004

the ice won't isn't going to get any better anytime soon Disney on Ice is going to be here Jan. 24th-28th

Comment

• SabreEleven
                        • Aug 2002

Perfect

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Maybe its not just the ice??

Maybe they arnt freezing the pucks properly??

But its true, you often see players loose their footing though, and we looked slow even though our legs were moving pretty quick the last two games lol
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                            Maybe its not just the ice??

Maybe they arnt freezing the pucks properly??

But its true, you often see players loose their footing though, and we looked slow even though our legs were moving pretty quick the last two games lol
                            Its a combination of both, its also dangerous, players can twist their ankles/knee etc, and of course the refs and their phantom calls.. lol..
                            Skate Zilla
                            -----------------------
                            Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                            SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

you know, it can be hard to keep the ice in perfect shape with constantly changing weather conditions- I'm not trying to make excuses, but some ice problems should be expected in weather like this.

But what excuse is there for not keeping the pucks frozen? Since this has never been a problem before the last few games, obviously they had a system in place that worked at one time.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X