PDA

View Full Version : The ice at the HSBC Arena

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Alot of people called up WGR today saying that there looked to be a problem with the ice last night (vs TOR 1/11), because of the way the puck was bouncing around the whole game. Brad Riter later called up Schopp and The Bulldog during the show, and he even said that many people asked him last night if the ice was bad. He went on to say that over the past few weeks, alot of the Sabres have been complaing about the condition of the ice, behind closed doors. Nobody wants to come forward, though, and make the HSBC staff feel like they're not doing thier job. I don't know, but if i was on the team and the ice was giving me problems, i wouldnt hesitate to bring it up with someone. I realize that this is no excuse for poor play, and that the other team is playing on the same ice, but its a problem that needs to be resolved ASAP.

I've been saying this since this year the puck is bouncing all over the place maybe this is why the players don't shoot

Ebenezer
01-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I wonder what the change in the weather did...I know the ice at curling tonight was terrible. Not saying that they are the same but we did go from temps in the 50s to 20s and then back warm again.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I wonder what the change in the weather did...I know the ice at curling tonight was terrible. Not saying that they are the same but we did go from temps in the 50s to 20s and then back warm again.

:shakeno: I don't think the weather is the problem because if you think about it the NHL playoffs are in May & June the summer. But I did notice when I went to the Pittsburgh game the other night it was confortable while the few games I went to last year it was like an igloo in there I couldn't even take off my jacket it was so cold.

Ebenezer
01-13-2007, 12:15 AM
:shakeno: I don't think the weather is the problem because if you think about it the NHL playoffs are in May & June the summer. But I did notice when I went to the Pittsburgh game the other night it was confortable while the few games I went to last year it was like an igloo in there I couldn't even take off my jacket it was so cold.
in May and June the temperature outside is pretty consistant (not too many 30 degree days in a row in those months). could it not be a problem when there are temperature swings? that was my point.

Michael82
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
in May and June the temperature outside is pretty consistant (not too many 30 degree days in a row in those months). could it not be a problem when there are temperature swings? that was my point.
Could be. Either way, I noticed a difference in the last few games that I went to. There has definitely been some problems with that ice lately and LOSman wins is right, it's barely cold in there. I remember the playoff games, I was freezing. Not lately, its average in there, dont need a jacket either.

SkateZilla
01-13-2007, 08:00 AM
while it may be ice, from my experience, it looks liek the pucks arent frozen, when the pucks are thawed they are like gumball machine rubber balls, they go all over the place... last nite was a prime example...

Michael82
01-14-2007, 08:50 AM
How hard is it to make sure that your ice is nice and cold and solid? :mad:

SabreEleven
01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Obviously pretty hard.

GThirst
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Anyone go to the Pepsi Center? It gets pretty rediculous how bad the ice is. It starts the day good. Then the figure skaters come on and there are huge divets. Then they Zamboni it, but its not all that effective with the huge divets. Then you get 250 people circulating within an hour and the ice becomes horrid.

I wonder what level of badness HSBC is, because skating gets pretty tough and probably even worse for pucks.

SabreEleven
01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Then the figure skaters come on.

Vanek skates at the Pepsi Center?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM
the ice won't isn't going to get any better anytime soon Disney on Ice is going to be here Jan. 24th-28th :rolleyes:

http://www.hsbcarena.com/images/events/1161107180.jpg

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Perfect:rolleyes:

JD
01-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Maybe its not just the ice??

Maybe they arnt freezing the pucks properly??

But its true, you often see players loose their footing though, and we looked slow even though our legs were moving pretty quick the last two games lol

SkateZilla
01-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Maybe its not just the ice??

Maybe they arnt freezing the pucks properly??

But its true, you often see players loose their footing though, and we looked slow even though our legs were moving pretty quick the last two games lol

Its a combination of both, its also dangerous, players can twist their ankles/knee etc, and of course the refs and their phantom calls.. lol..

OpIv37
01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
you know, it can be hard to keep the ice in perfect shape with constantly changing weather conditions- I'm not trying to make excuses, but some ice problems should be expected in weather like this.

But what excuse is there for not keeping the pucks frozen? Since this has never been a problem before the last few games, obviously they had a system in place that worked at one time.

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
How can the pucks not be frozen properly? They've been playing games in the HSBC since 96. Did the freezer break? It's hard to believe it's the pucks.

SkateZilla
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
How can the pucks not be frozen properly? They've been playing games in the HSBC since 96. Did the freezer break? It's hard to believe it's the pucks.

Refrigeration units / Portable Freezers Wear out over time.......

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 09:16 PM
$120 at Costco? or they Sam's up there don't they?

OpIv37
01-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Refrigeration units / Portable Freezers Wear out over time.......

when I worked in Wegmans' deli making $7 an hour, we checked the temp on the refrigerators and freezers every day. If one of them wasn't maintaining temperature, we had to take all the food out of there until it was fixed.

If a bunch of slacker HS and college students working in a supermarket can handle it, the people at HSBC have no excuses.

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 10:15 PM
when I worked in Wegmans' deli making $7 an hour, we checked the temp on the refrigerators and freezers every day. If one of them wasn't maintaining temperature, we had to take all the food out of there until it was fixed.

If a bunch of slacker HS and college students working in a supermarket can handle it, the people at HSBC have no excuses.

did you work with Mikey?

Exactly, that is why I doubt it is the pucks. The ice just plains sucks. I also think it is affecting them mentally.

Michael82
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
did you work with Mikey?

Exactly, that is why I doubt it is the pucks. The ice just plains sucks. I also think it is affecting them mentally.
Maybe Larry Quinn needs to get his ass in gear and chew out the HSBC workers. Get that ice fixed asap. :mad:

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
It's that stupid lacrosse carpeting that's screwing everything up. :mad:

Michael82
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
It's that stupid lacrosse carpeting that's screwing everything up. :mad:
:rofl: or maybe the Disney on Ice **** too. :ill:

Or the Justin Timberlake concert.... :limp:
:ill:

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Or the Justin Timberlake concert.... :limp: