• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Forget Dorsey as a DT Option in the draft

Much to my dismay, Glenn Dorsey decided to stay in school and not to enter this year's NFL draft. Dorsey cited injuries that may have hindered him in the draft and a desire to have a chance to win the SEC and a national championship as his reasons for staying at LSU.

LSU junior defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, considered by some a potential high first-round draft choice, said Sunday night he will return for a senior season, ESPN's Joe Schad reported.

I thought that he would be a terrific pick for the Bills at # 12, but I can't argue with his decision to return to school. I don't know how much this changes things for the Bills, if it does at all. But, if they do decide to go with a DT in the first round, it appears now that it would almost certainly have to be Okoye, especially with Branch likely to go before the 12th pick.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: Forget Dorsey as a DT Option in the draft

I agreee one both aacounts. He would look good in a Bills uniform but who have to commend the man for staying in school.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I think DraftBoy may be on to something, and DT won't be the direction we go especially in the first round.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Sportsuser101
        • Feb 2005

I like Okoye and Branch better anyway.
        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Though very talented, Branch doesnt fit this defense as he's the same kind of DT as Tripplett and McCargo.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

Branch is a monster nose tackle type more in the mold of Sam Adams. At 6'6" and 330 lbs, I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a bit different than Triplett and McCargo.
            I think Justin Harrell is going to be a very good DT in the NFL. If he is there in the second, I say grab him.
            Our most pressing need, unfortunately, is going to be CB.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Though very talented, Branch doesnt fit this defense as he's the same kind of DT as Tripplett and McCargo.
              Branch has the speed and power to play either 1 technique or 3 technique. If Branch made himself available to us, there is no question that we are taking him. McCargo and Williams would make a fine rotation.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                Branch has the speed and power to play either 1 technique or 3 technique. If Branch made himself available to us, there is no question that we are taking him. McCargo and Williams would make a fine rotation.
                I'll have to keep my eye on Branch at the combine to see if he really indeed does have that speed. At 330 lbs, that seems incredible.

But regardless, Washington is likely to take Branch so I don't think the choice will ever be there anyway...

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                  !?!?!?!?!?
                  • Mar 2006

i liked the DTs like this

1. Branch
                  2. Dorsey
                  3. Okoye
                  4. Pitcock

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                    I think DraftBoy may be on to something, and DT won't be the direction we go especially in the first round.

For those that may not venture into the scouting zone this is what YR is referring to...

Originally posted by Yardrat
                    I find it interesting that you went against conventional wisdom (at least as far as these boards are concerned) and stayed away from the DT position. Was that intentional?
                    Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    Very much so, we spent big money on Tripplett last year and I thought he played rather well, while some may disagree. We also spent a 3rd and 1st last year on McCargo who was mostly hurt and I dont see us using two 1sts on DT's. Kyle Williams was a beast for us last year and Hargrove can move inside if need be. We may pickup an extra one but I was pretty happy with our DT's. I was one who didnt think the middle was the problem of our Run D, I thought it was our ends.
                    this is from my 2007 Offseason thread in the Scouting Zone....
                    2007 Offseason: Resign: WR Andre Davis-Good ST player, will be the only reason he sticks around DE Anthony Hargrove-Played inside and outside and made a visible difference CB Jabari Greer-ST and depth player CB Kiwaukee Thomas-Played well when given time S Coy Wire-ST gunner, and showed surprisingly good depth Cut: QB Kelly

I dont think DT is a big need for us this offseason, imo.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                      !?!?!?!?!?
                      • Mar 2006

For those that may not venture into the scouting zone this is what YR is referring to...

this is from my 2007 Offseason thread in the Scouting Zone....
                      2007 Offseason: Resign: WR Andre Davis-Good ST player, will be the only reason he sticks around DE Anthony Hargrove-Played inside and outside and made a visible difference CB Jabari Greer-ST and depth player CB Kiwaukee Thomas-Played well when given time S Coy Wire-ST gunner, and showed surprisingly good depth Cut: QB Kelly

I dont think DT is a big need for us this offseason, imo.
                      i agree with you on DT but we need a run stuffer and it doesnt seem like we really have one, maybe a big MLB will help

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                        i agree with you on DT but we need a run stuffer and it doesnt seem like we really have one, maybe a big MLB will help

What do you know in that same thread I have us taking MLB Brandon Siler in the 2nd round. He'd be the perfect fit for us, imo.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                          !?!?!?!?!?
                          • Mar 2006

What do you know in that same thread I have us taking MLB Brandon Siler in the 2nd round. He'd be the perfect fit for us, imo.
                          not only is he a greta player but he probably has the best leadership skills out of all the players in the draft this year....he is definetly someone who if available in the 2nd round Marv would take 2 seconds to pick

Comment

• Bmax
                            • Aug 2003

I agree i have been Singing praises about Siler for a couple of weeks....Rd 2 looks good .... I Still want a DT day one .. I was not that impressed with Ian Scott this weekend.. Hollis Thomas is a tough Run Stuffer.. He is a FA,,,But he comes with baggage and is 32....He would be good for one to two seasons....While Mcccargo developes and eventually moves to the other DT position.. The bills could also draft a guy day two who may just surprise......

Does anybody have any info on Keith Jackson from Arkansas he looked good when i saw him play this year.. Might be worth a late rd pick...

Bmax

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                              !?!?!?!?!?
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bmax
                              I agree i have been Singing praises about Siler for a couple of weeks....Rd 2 looks good .... I Still want a DT day one .. I was not that impressed with Ian Scott this weekend.. Hollis Thomas is a tough Run Stuffer.. He is a FA,,,But he comes with baggage and is 32....He would be good for one to two seasons....While Mcccargo developes and eventually moves to the other DT position.. The bills could also draft a guy day two who may just surprise......

Does anybody have any info on Keith Jackson from Arkansas he looked good when i saw him play this year.. Might be worth a late rd pick...

Bmax
                              well for all its worth nfldraftcountdown has him ranked 18th among all DTs in this years draft and in the last 3 years has a combine 7 sacks 2.5 each of the last 2 years and 2 sacks in his sophmore year....he has 18.5 TFLs in the last 3 years and overall has 191 tackles in 41 games played he is 6-0 296 and runs a 5.1...seems average to me i havent seen much of him, you'd be better off finding out from draftboy

a nice sleeper at DT is Justin Harrell from Tennessee who missed all but three games with a ruptured biceps tendon, with all the good D-line prospects coming out of Tennessee this guy could end up doing well in the pros and just a warning Ryan McBean from Oklahoma St. could end up climbing most draft boards because he does his best in workouts but doesnt play up to his potential and is more of a boom or bust prospect

edit: actually i take back what i said on Justin Harrell he isnt that big of a sleeper but Kareem Brown from Miami is who had a great senior campaign.............the more that i look at the prospects at DT the more potential i see out of this class but the key word here is potential

Comment

Working...
                              X